AVX not slewing in right direction

Discuss Celestron mounts.
jazzin United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

AVX not slewing in right direction

Post by jazzin »

Last night I had a Slew to problem in SGPro. Everything worked fine when going through my two star alignment and 4 star calibration routine. First thing I do after my Goto alignment is done is I do Frame and Focus in SGPro. So I connected all my equip and then opend up the sequencer and clicked 'Slew to' for the star Capella. This has always worked fine everytime I've done it before but this time when I clicked 'Slew to' function, the mount slewed in a totally different direction than where the star Capella is. Anybody else use SGPro and had this happen to them? It even slewed my scope into the tripod legs. Only thing I changed was Standard Time to Daylight Savings Time in the HC.
Telescopes: Celestron 6" Newtonian, Orion 8" Astrograph

Guide scope: 50mm guidescope

Camera: modded Canon T7i, stock Canon T1i

Software: PixInsight

I hate cold and rainy weather!
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: AVX not slewing in right direction

Post by seigell »

Check your Location settings - not Southern Hemisphere. And check the Time Zone - make sure you have "minus" UTC.
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I've had this happen in another image acquisition software title, APT. My fix was to shut everything down (software, computer, telescope mount) restart everything, and then invoke the software in the order I have to to get everything to talk to everything. But I align differently than you do. I use plate solving to do my alignment. It's faster and since I've started doing this I've had no more "misdirection" problems.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

jazzin United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jazzin »

JayTee wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:53 pm I've had this happen in another image acquisition software title, APT. My fix was to shut everything down (software, computer, telescope mount) restart everything, and then invoke the software in the order I have to to get everything to talk to everything. But I align differently than you do. I use plate solving to do my alignment. It's faster and since I've started doing this I've had no more "misdirection" problems.

Cheers,
Doing the AVX alignment routine is the only way I learned to get the mount to learn where it is in relation to the sky from my location. It's the same routine I've used since I learned how to do this back in 2016. It's always worked except for a couple times usually when I switch the clock in the mount from Standard to DST.

Anyway I think I understand what going with the mount now. For some reason it's not syncing with the last star I calibrate on. It still thinks it is in the home position. So I'm assuming if I tell the mount to Go to Home position after I finish calibration procedure, it will work.

Not sure what setting controls that function though
Telescopes: Celestron 6" Newtonian, Orion 8" Astrograph

Guide scope: 50mm guidescope

Camera: modded Canon T7i, stock Canon T1i

Software: PixInsight

I hate cold and rainy weather!