Astrophotographer Captures 68 Hour-Long Exposure on a Single Target

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Astrophotographer Captures 68 Hour-Long Exposure on a Single Target

Post by KingClinton »

Ok fellow forum friends, what is your longest exposure on one target?
I don't know where the guy in the linked article found quite so many clear nights!
Heck of a project!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... JCatT6cT4O
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Astrophotographer Captures 68 Hour-Long Exposure on a Single Target

Post by Juno16 »

Hey Clinton!

That's a lot of time!

All AP'ers have different circumstances to deal with. Some have to struggle to find a clear night, and set up their equipment every time and others start imaging at home on their pc while their equipment is set up in a dark site with pristine skies at a remote location.
Different strokes.
My longest is 14 hours, but I average 6-8. Sometimes I have to cut it down significantly because of the weather.
On Astrobin, it is not uncommon to see images that have integrations of a hundred hours or more!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Is there a point where there are enough hours on target and the gains are minimal and no longer adding to the image, does the camera eventually reach a point of maximum saturation?
I wonder what is gained from 100 hours plus, when are the hours on target too many?
Not sure I have worded that very well but AP and the terminology are not my thing, I hope it makes sense.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I have gone as far as 9 hours on a single target over multiple nights, I usually get between 2-3 hours on a target due to conditions here. I find that trying to combine several nights data is challenging as sky conditions vary widely from night to night (and even over a single night).

The reason for more integration time is to improve the Signal-to-Noise ratio. In identical conditions that is a simple square root ratio over time. Increasing exposure 4x produces a 2x improvement in SNR, for example.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by starfield »

KingClinton wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:08 pm Is there a point where there are enough hours on target and the gains are minimal and no longer adding to the image, does the camera eventually reach a point of maximum saturation?
I wonder what is gained from 100 hours plus, when are the hours on target too many?
Not sure I have worded that very well but AP and the terminology are not my thing, I hope it makes sense.
Hey Clinton, this is a tough one. There generally is a point of diminishing return, but a lot depends on the target. What I find as I take more and more exposures, the bright bits of your target reveal themselves first. At some point you just don't see much improvement in the bright bits. Once these bright bits look good, the finer/fainter details/details start showing up as you go longer. So for example, Orion reveals itself really quickly, but if you want to really get the detail in the fine dusty tendrils around the edges, you will need more time.

Figuring out when you have enough detail really boils down to how happy you are with the faint stuff and how much sky time you've got. As was mentioned SNR gets better the more time you've got but its not linear, so as your exposure time increases you have to run much longer for the faint stuff. For multinight targets, what I typically do is run a quick stack of the previous nights run and see how the data looks. If the background looks really noise and the target looks grainy, I'll grab more time. For narrowband work this really is important as sometimes there's a big difference between the HA and OIII signals. If there is, you usually end up taking more OIII subs than HA to get the noise down and a stronger signal.

As for my record, it's 43 hours on a narrowband target from my backyard. Being narrowband it was easier for me to work around the moon and get more time. For LRBG work, I usually drive out to the desert so that usually limits me to one or two nights. On the plus side, shooting 1 hour in the desert gives me the same quality image as shooting 6 hours from home!

CS --Steve
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

about 30 hrs on a 9 panel in ha is about the max done, i did do an extra 70 hrs but had a few bad panels and couldn't complete the full hso image ., i usualy do about 20 hrs for a single panel
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

75hrs 40min is my record on the Lobster Claw.
https://www.theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=32856

When is enough, enough? It's really about SNR. I've found that shooting narrowband from my backyard (Bortle 8-9) I need about 20-25 hours per filter before the noise is acceptable.
But if I'm shooting that same subject from a Bortle 3 location I can usually get by with about 6-10 hrs per filter.
Of course with modern AI tricks like BlurX and NoiseX, these numbers are lowering.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com