2 mounts, 3 pcs, 3 monitors.....

See sub forums
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

2 mounts, 3 pcs, 3 monitors.....

Post by Altocumulus »

Does anyone run 2 mounts, each with their own dedicated headless mini 12v pc - controlled remotely by a 3rd more powerful pc with 2, or even 3 monitors?

Windows Remote only allows one connection at a time. I'm trying NoMachine, but it's a little clumsy in switching between the monitors/pcs.

It looks as though Sharpcap's dual display option will be a non-starter in this kind of set.

One possible alternative could be long hdmi cables, 10ft, and wireless mouses - 🐁
One pc per monitor.
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Xio1996 Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

Re: 2 mounts, 3 pcs, 3 monitors.....

Post by Xio1996 »

Hi Geoff,

Apologies if I have misunderstood.

I have a configuration with two Windows (10 & 11 professional) laptops and a Windows 11 desktop (Home edition) with two screens. The desktop is connected to each laptop via Windows Remote Desktop.

One laptop provides a 4k and the other 1080HD output. I layout the remote desktops with local applications on the main desktop PC using Windows Power Toys - Fancy Zones and Always on Top. In the past I have used multiple virtual desktops to arrange the remote desktops and applications as well. The MS Power Toys bring everything nicely together on the desktop's screens.

Have fun.

Pete
EAA Observing from the Isle of Wight, UK
Telescope: Celestron CPC800, NexStar 4se - Camera: Altair Astro Hypercam 294c PRO, ZWO ASI 533MM
Software: CPWI, SharpCap, Stellarium, TheSky, SkyChart, Starry Night 8, Aladin, ASTAP and AstroPlanner.
YouTube 'EAA with an 8-inch SCT' https://www.youtube.com/@Xio2011
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Hi Pete,

I understood Windows Remote was a one link only option....

Windows Power Toys... Thanks, I'll investigate.

I recall reading that MS had created a multiple PC version of Remote Viewer, but dropped it because of security concerns. The app, though, is available.
Just call me Geoff....

Xio1996 Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

Post by Xio1996 »

Hi Geoff,

The MS remote desktop connection is where I thought I had misunderstood.

My understanding, was that MS Remote Desktop is limited to 1 connection to an individual PC. However, I was not aware of any restrictions on connecting to multiple PCs from one PC. In other words having multiple remote desktop windows open, a one to many configuration. A many to one configuration is not allowed, unless you have a server and appropriate licencing. Is it still called Windows Terminal Server? It was a long time ago that I used such a setup.

One of the laptops is only occasionally connected to another mount, but is instead used to run an app such as SkyChart that does not support pinning on top and hence doesn't work very well for my setup. Placing it in a remote desktop window means I now have full control. Effectively, it has been re-windowed, a function Power Toys can also do locally, though not very well with SkyChart. Offloading other CPU/GPU intensive applications works well with this setup.

Power Toys has lots of useful utilities :icon-smile:

I hope that is right and I haven't downloaded the 'dodgy' app in the past! Pretty sure, I didn't.

Have fun.

Pete
EAA Observing from the Isle of Wight, UK
Telescope: Celestron CPC800, NexStar 4se - Camera: Altair Astro Hypercam 294c PRO, ZWO ASI 533MM
Software: CPWI, SharpCap, Stellarium, TheSky, SkyChart, Starry Night 8, Aladin, ASTAP and AstroPlanner.
YouTube 'EAA with an 8-inch SCT' https://www.youtube.com/@Xio2011
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

There's a version of Windows Remote that allows more than a couple of pcs to be controlled by a single; a separate app to the one generally installed.

I've downloaded and run it. It seems the same as the default windows remote viewer, except it doesn't have any option to 'use available' screens.

It runs and does the job - but Sharpcap's dual option won't work, and Robin advises that it wouldn't work under two instances of sharpcap on each pc in any case.

Two monitors are 32 inch, so there's probably enough space for side by side.

Powertoys and some of its features appear to have been transferred into Windows 11 - though I find trying to fix two displays into the layout is very tempermental.

But at least I now have something of a workstation sorted.

Thanks..
Just call me Geoff....