Observing Report for 04 February 2024 - the twins, a crab and even a monkey's head!

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 04 February 2024 - the twins, a crab and even a monkey's head!

Post by kt4hx »

The second night of my stay at the dark site house held the promise of the same fine conditions I’d experienced the evening before. The added advantage is that I would be better rested from the three plus hour drive over, and I felt my concentration and focus to the task at hand would be better. During the late morning hours I completed a couple of tasks that I had planned to do. First I got out the ladder and went around the exterior cleaning out the gutters. There are a lot of pine trees on the property and those needles do tend to pile up in the gutters and plug the top of the downspouts, so I try to clean them out at least twice a year. I then took my lear blower out and cleared a few areas around the porches where leaves from the forest behind the house tend to get pushed in by the winds.

When my chores were complete, I went in to fix some lunch and watch the Indiana University women’s basketball game. The rest of the afternoon was spent more or less relaxing and working on my notes from the evening before, and working up a plan for the evening’s galaxy hunt. I settled on starting in southern Gemini and heading back into Cancer, which would entail using only charts 75, 76 and 93 in the Uranometria. I like to keep my hunts simple and focused in a smaller area of the sky to reduce the amount of gross movements and thus keep my observing more productive.

At about 1730 hours I put all my gear out at my normal observing position, and then headed back indoors for a little more rest and dinner. I returned to the field around 1915 hours to allow time for my eyes to adjust, recheck collimation of the scope and align the finders. Around 1930 I began my evening’s quest for galaxies. But in this case I started with a couple of open clusters! Let’s get going folks and see what I managed to dredge from the dark deep sky this time out.

(Equipment used)
17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)
Uranometria All-Sky Edition (and red light)

Messier 35 / NGC 2168 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=5.1, size=25.0’, class= III2m):
NGC 2158 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=8.6, size=5.0’, class= II3r):

Messier 35 was easily seen with the naked eye and I could aim the scope at it quickly. My true targets lay nearby so I used this perennial favorite as my stepping stone. At 152x M35 was a mass of stars filling the 0.7° TFOV. The cluster was a gorgeous stellar collection, with numerous pairs and lines and curves of stars going in various directions. This is always a truly beautiful and impressive cluster.

NGC 2158 lays less than half a degree to the southwest of M35 and in this aperture and under these dark skies is always impressive – just not anywhere close to the level of M35 of course. At 152x the cluster was small, with countless dim stars visible with a slight haziness of other unresolved members. These two make a very contrasty pair. My first real targets for the evening lay just half a degree west of NGC 2158.

IC 2156 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=10.8, size=3.5’, class=unk):
This cluster is often regarded as an asterism, or an extension of IC 2157 just to the south. However, it does carry a designation in the Index Catalogue, having been discovered by Rev. Thomas Espin in 1899 along with IC 2157 using a 17.3 inch reflecting telescope. I found the cluster small and a little sparse at 152x. It was fairly well detached from the general star field and I noticed about 10 stars in a boxy shape. I didn’t find it as apparent as IC 2157, but still noticeable. (New)

IC 2157 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=8.4, size=5.0, class=III2p)
Just south of the previous object and in the same field of view, this cluster at 152x was better detached within the field, with about 15 stars scattered around the field. I felt it was the more obvious of the pair and more in keeping with the appearance of a cluster. (New)

NGC 2175 (diffuse nebula, mag=6.8, size=40.0’x30.0’):
NGC 2174 (knot within nebula, mag=unk, size=3.5’x2.0’):

The famous “Monkey’s Head Nebula” was nearby to the south of the previous topics, just into Orion. Since it is part of the Jan/Feb TSS DSO Challenge (link here), I decided to stop by quickly to give it a quick look. The last time I’d observed this nebula complex was just over eight years ago from our then Bortle 5 backyard using the 12 inch. Then I found it subtle visually even when using an O-III filter. Now from this location with more aperture and darker skies it was readily apparent without a filter. Pretty large in angular extent, it was mostly a circular diffuse cloud that was more or less evenly illuminated at 152x. I did pick up the small bright knot catalogued as NGC 2174 in its northwestern section. A nice little aside as I got myself geared up for the galaxy hunt ahead!

I now slipped back into Gemini, and aimed the scope at bright Delta Geminorum (Wasat). Here my galaxy hunt would continue. I might add that I did not observe NGC 2392 this evening. I have seen it countless times from various locations in various apertures. While I was quite near to it, and I could pick it up in the RACI finder as a stellar point, I never gave it much thought! Seems odd I know, but just how it went. :icon-smile:

NGC 2365 (Gemini, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.4, size=2.8’x1.4’, SBr=13.7):
Just over a half degree east of Wasat I picked up my first galaxy for the evening. Slightly small and somewhat bright, this little oval displayed some non-stellar core brightness within its diffuse envelope at 152x. Taking a look with 199x the object was very obvious within the field, and its core now sported an intermittent stellar core. I noted a mag 12.7 field star lay in close attendance off its western side. (New)

UGC 3827 (Gemini, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.0’x0.8’, SBr=13.2):
While I was observing the last object I also spotted this barred spiral about 13’ to the northeast. Focusing my attention here, using 152x it presented a fairly small diffuse thick oval disk with a mag 11.8 field star right off its southeastern edge. Overall the galaxy was a little dim, but not difficult. Taking a gander at 199x it was more apparent, with the core now showing an intermittent stellar appearance. (New)

UGC 3824 (Gemini, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.4, size=0.9’x0.8’, SBr=12.9):
I nudged about 23’ to the NNW to locate this object. Easily seen at 152x it was slightly dim, small and diffuse. Out of round in shape, the core seemed to exhibit a very fleeting stellar appearance. Going to 199x the galaxy was more apparent, and the core definitely was showing an intermittently stellar within the diffuse disk. (New)

IC 2186 (Gemini, spiral galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.9’x0.6’, SBr=13.0):
About 46’ southeast of Wasat I located this dim object. Using 152x I just perceived a small diffuse oval disk. It was more apparent at 199x and remained a smooth envelope. Going ahead to 283x it was easy to see but remained a bit dim. Discovered by Stephane Javelle in 1896, it is thought a duplicate observation by Javelle in 1900 also resulted in a “new” object catalogued as IC 2188. Uranometria also plots them as separate objects, though it appears the southern of the two is actually IC 2187. (New)

IC 2187 (Gemini, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.4’x0.4’, SBr=11.6):
Immediately south of IC 2186 I picked tried to pick up this object, but at 152x, I could not confirm its presence in the field, and was suspected at 199x. The mag 11.9 field star immediately to its north was bothersome. Going to 283x I finally got my confirmation of this galaxy as a very small and very dim diffuse rounded disk. The star made this one challenging. This object was also discovered by Javelle in 1896 at the same time as IC 2186. New)

NGC 2376 (Gemini, spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.6’x0.6’, SBr=13.2):
I returned to Wasat then shifted my attention to the northeast, picking up 58 Gem (mag 6.2). Over half a degree ENE of the star I pinned down this spiral using 152x. It presented as a very small and fairly dim rounded homogeneous disk. A little more obvious at 199x, it remained evenly illuminated, and I noted a dim 13.7 mag field star at its northwestern edge. (New)

UGC 3869 (Gemini, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.2, size=1.0’x0.4’, SBr=13.9):
A little over 1.5° NNE of the last object I picked up the double star STTA 85, a pair of white stars (mag 7.6 and 8.9 with sep of 64.2”). About 10’ south of the pair I located this lenticular. Using 152x it displayed fairly small and fairly dim oval disk that appeared homogeneous. At 199x it was slightly more apparent, but remained dim and smooth across its envelope. (New)

NGC 2398 (Gemini, spiral galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.8’x0.7’, SBr=13.0):
Next was this spiral, about 21.5’ east of the previous object. Picked up with 152x, it appeared as a small and dim diffuse oval glow with a broadly brighter core. Though more apparent at 199x it still remained dim overall. This is actually two galaxies (MCG 4-18-22 & MCG 4-18-23) with one seemingly lying in front of the other (closer to us). However, they were discovered as a singular object and thus carry only one designation in the NGC and I only saw them as one. (New)

NGC 2370 (Gemini, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=0.9’x0.5’, SBr=12.7):
Nearly half way along and east of a line between the stars 58 and 57 Gem, (mag 6.2 and 5.0 respectively) I picked up this barred spiral. Using 1521x it presented a dim and small smooth oval disk. A dim field star lay just northeast of the galaxy. Viewed with 199x the object was more obvious, but remained homogeneous. (New)

UGC 3911 (Gemini, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=13.4):
Moving farther east of Wasat (Delta Gem), I picked up this lenticular about 22’ northeast of the double star STF1108. This was a pair of white stars (mags 6.5 & 8.8 sep 11.6”) that were easily split. Focusing my attention on the galaxy at 152x, it displayed a small diffuse oval disk that was dim. More apparent to the eye at 199x, it also now displayed an intermittent stellar core winking in and out at its center. (New)

UGC 3932 (Gemini, spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.5’x0.3’, SBr=13.1):
Just about 1° to the southeast of the previous object, and only 8.5’ west of mag 7.0 HD 60914, I picked up my next galaxy. Viewing with 152x it revealed a small and diffuse fairly dim oval envelope. As with the previous object, at 199x, it also displayed an intermittent stellar core at the center of the diffuse disk. (New)

UGC 3960 (Gemini, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.3’x1.1’, SBr=13.6):
Over 1° to the northeast of the previous object I nailed down this elliptical. With 152x it showed a slightly dim thick oval disk that was small and evenly illuminated. Seen at 199x it was a little brighter to the eye, and a stellar core was now showing at its center. (New)

UGC 4054 (Gemini, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=2.0’x0.5’, SBr=13.4):
Using mag 3.6 Kappa Gem and 82 Gem (mag 6.2), I triangulated the location of this spiral. Picked up using 152x it was small and fairly dim to the eye. It was smoothly illuminated with a slightly elongated oval envelope. Then at 199x it remained a bit dim, and of lower surface brightness, with sort of a ghostly appearance floating in the field. (New)

NGC 2498 (Gemini, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=13.1):
Moving close to the Gemini-Cancer border, I picked up this small and dim thick oval disk using 152x. An intermittent stellar core was also detected. Using 199x the stellar core was more obvious, and the galaxy was a little brighter to the eye in general. (New)

IC 482 (Gemini, spiral galaxy, mag=14.5, size=0.6’x0.5’, SBr=13.0):
About 22.5’ north of the last object I picked up this spiral. At 152x it only gave me a fleeting suspicion of a very small and pretty dim little dust bunny. Going to 199x I got confirmation of its presence though it remained visually weak. It was merely a faint homogeneous oval puff of smoke. Going ahead to 283x I truly confirmed the galaxy though it was still weak as a ghostly oval glow. 0(New)

NGC 2512 (Cancer, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.4’x0.9’, SBr=13.2):
I now moved across the border into the celestial crab. First up was this barred spiral which was easily spotted using 152x as a small and subtly bright homogenous oval glow. Viewed with 199x it was more obvious, but remained a smooth even disk. (New)

NGC 2503 (Cancer, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.0’x1.0’, SBr=13.5):
Just over a degree SSW of the previous target I found the next one very close to the border of Gemini. I found it a small and fairly dim rounded object that was smoothly illuminated. Easier to see at 199x it remained homogeneous to the eye. (New)

IC 492 (Cancer, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.1’x0.9’, SBr=13.3):
Now moving to the northeast to mag 5.7 Psi Cnc, I focused my attention to its southwest, not quite a degree. I was able to pin down this small and fairly dim thick oval disk using 152x. Homogeneous in appearance, it remained smooth at 199x thought a little more apparent. (New)

IC 496 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=14.6, size=0.6’x0.3’, SBr=12.5):
About 20.5’ north of Psi Cnc I picked up 13 Cnc (mag 6.4). Only about 7’ WNW of this star I was able to see the very small and quite dim diffuse oval glow of this spiral using 152x. Taking a peek at 199x, though slightly more apparent, it remained quite dim and evenly illuminated. In reality this is two objects, seen as one. The two components are PGC 22903 (east) and PGC 93095 (west). They may well be non-interactive companions. They also carry a secondary Index Catalogue identifier as Javelle “discovered” this object twice – 1892 (IC 496) and 1896 (IC 2229). I was getting a sense of a very dim field star close to the southeastern edge and suspect this was the mag 15.9 star J080950.5+255212 about 1’ away from the galaxy. (New)

NGC 2535 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=2.3’x1.2’, SBr=13.7):
Nearly 21’ SSE of bright Psi Cnc, I easily spotted this spiral using 152x. It presented as a small and subtly bright diffuse oval glow. Very obvious at 199x it remained evenly illuminated across its oval disk. This was the much brighter and larger of two within the same FOV. (New)

NGC 2536 (Cancer, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.0’x0.5’, SBr=13.2):
Less than 2’ SSE of the previous object I also noticed this galaxy. With 152x it was very dim and small, clearly the less obvious than its neighbor to the north. Its oval disk was smooth and even across its envelope. At 199x it was a little easier to see, but still remained a weak visual object. (New)

IC 497 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.9’x0.4’, SBr=12.9):
About 22’ southwest of the previous pair, in the direction of the mag 7.3 star HD 67544, I picked up my next object. This spiral was seen at 152x as a small and fairly dim diffuse oval disk with a dim 14th mag field star just of its northwestern tip. A little easier at 199x it remained dim and homogenous. The interesting thing about this object is that originally I thought I was pursuing UGC 4257, which is plotted in the atlas – but IC 497 was not. It wasn’t until I was doing my post session research that I realized this was the galaxy I had seen, and not mag 15.0 UGC 4257, which has a thinner, more elongated envelope and lay 2’ southeast of the one I did observe. I remember thinking that the object I saw should have been more elongated, but was not. I am uncertain why the atlas does not plot IC 497, but goes to show all sources have some omissions and/or mistakes. (New)

NGC 2540 (Cancer, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.3’x0.9’, SBr=13.5):
Nearly 47’ northeast of the star 13 Cnc (mentioned with IC 496) I located this barred spiral utilizing 152x. Appearing as a small and dim diffuse oval disk, it was a little more apparent at 199x, but remained homogeneous. (New)

UGC 4300 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.3’x1.0’, SBr=13.5):
Continuing my nudge to the northeast for about 1° I swept up this spiral, about halfway between mag 8.5 HD 68774 and mag 7.4 HD 69312. With 152x it revealed a small and dim homogeneous oval disk. It was more apparent at 199x, but remained smooth across its envelope. (New)

UGC 4341 (Cancer, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.0’x0.5’, SBr=12.9):
Nearly a degree east of the previous object I settled on the bright star mag 5.1 Chi Cnc, and turned my attention immediately to its south (about 7.5’). Using 152x I spotted this lenticular as a small and dim diffuse oval dust bunny. The glare from Chi Cnc was bothersome. Using 199x the galaxy was more apparent, and its core now displayed a non-stellar uptick in brightness. The star’s glare was still an irritant unless I moved it out of the view. (New)

NGC 2576 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=1.7’x0.3’, SBr=13.4):
Moving southeast of Chi Cnc, I picked up this galaxy immediately east of mag 8.5 HD 70403. Challenging at 152x, it appeared as a fairly small and very dim thin diffuse glow. A little more apparent using 199x, it remained a thin even streak. (New)

NGC 2592 (Cancer, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.3, size=1.7’x1.4’, SBr=13.2):
Nearly a degree ENE of the last object, I picked up a pair of galaxies about 6’ apart. The more apparent was this elliptical. Using 152x it was a small and subtly bright thick oval glow. More obvious at 199x it remained homogeneous to the eye. I noted a very dim 15th mag) field star to its immediate west. This was the brightest and largest of the pair in the same FOV. (New)

NGC 2594 (Cancer, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.7’x0.4’, SBr=12.6):
A mere 6’ south of the previous object and within the same FOV was this very small and fairly dim rounded dust mote. At 152x it was apparent, but visually weak overall. I did perceive an intermittent stellar core at its center however. Using 199x it was easier, but remained a dim bulb. An 11th mag field star lay just south of this object but did not impact the view. (New)

IC 2365 (Cancer, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=13.1):
About 2° north of the previous galactic duo, I found the bright star mag 5.6 Phi1 Cnc. Not quite 4’ to its southwest I spotted this lenticular galaxy. At 152x it displayed a small and dim oval disk that was evenly illuminated. The glare of Phi1 was bothersome. While more apparent at 199x, its disk remained homogeneous and the glare from the nearby star continued to impact the view. (New)

IC 2361 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.2’x0.4’, SBr=13.0):
Nearly 8’ WNW of IC 2365 and 9.5’ west of Chi1, I pinned down this second galaxy. This was the dimmer of the pair within the same FOV. Small and a bit dim at 152x, its oval envelope was smooth and even. Again, the star’s glare was bothersome. Viewing at 199x, the galaxy was more apparent. The glare from the star was still a bit of a bother, though the object was clearly seen. (New)

NGC 2607 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.1’x1.0’, SBr=13.7):
I next nudged to the southeast nearly 2° to pin down this spiral about 24’ south of a very wide pair of 8th magnitude field stars. Small and fairly dim using 152x, it presented a rounded diffuse disk. A little more apparent at 199x, it remained homogeneous, but I did pick up a dim field star just to its southwest. (New)

NGC 2623 (Cancer, peculiar spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=2.4’x0.7’, SBr=13.8):
A little over 1.5° southeast of the previous object I located my next one, south of a triangle of three 7th magnitude stars. Using 152x it was a small and dim thin oval disk that was evenly illuminated across its disk. More apparent at 199x, its core now showed a weak non-stellar brightness. (New)

NGC 2620 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=2.0’x0.5’, SBr=13.4):
Slipping southward nearly 1° I located a pair of widely spaced field stars (8th and 9th mag) that would lead me to this object. Picked up using 152x, I was seeing a small and dim slightly elongated oval disk that contained an intermittent stellar core. When viewed with 199x the galaxy was still dim, but not difficult. The stellar core was still popping in and out of view. I did look for NGC 2621 about 4’ NNE of NGC 2620, but did not pick up the mag 14.8 spiral. (New)

NGC 2622 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.8’x0.4’, SBr=12.7):
Just ESE (about 10’) of NGC 2620, I picked up this very dim and very small oval disk. Its envelope was smoothly illuminated. At 199x it remained a weak visual target, though not especially difficult. Its disk was still homogeneous to the eye. (New)

At this point I was coming into the finish line for this evening. The brightest galaxy in Cancer is an object I had not observed in about 12 years. So I wanted to wrap up my outing by giving it a look from this location with the larger scope, plus a couple of nearby galaxies that were not in the log. So I now moved to chart 93 in the atlas to finish up the evening’s show.

NGC 2775 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=10.1, size=4.3’x3.3’, SBr=12.9):
Reacquiring Acubens (Alpha Cnc) I then quickly star hopped to the southeast a little over 5.5° to locate this nice object. Easily picked up with 152x it presented a large and bright thick oval disk with a strong core at its center. The galaxy’s envelope was quite diffuse. Using 199x the galaxy was curiously entrancing, with its disk appearing uneven in brightness indicative of its spiral structure. The core was intensely stellar in appearance set within this large diffuse disk. The outer portions were extended as a diaphanous halo. This is an amazingly beautiful galaxy to behold under darker skies.

NGC 2777 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=0.9’x0.6’, SBr=12.5):
In the same field of view at 152x I also picked up this object about 11.5 NNE of the core of NGC 2775. It appeared as a small and slightly dim homogeneous oval disk. More obvious at 199x, it remained a smoothly diffuse object. (New)

NGC 2773 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.7’x0.3’, SBr=12.3):
As with the previous object, at 152x, this object was likewise visible in the shared field of view with NGC 2775, 12’ to its northwest. It was the dimmest of the three, presenting a small and dim homogenous oval disk at 152x. Viewed at 199x it was more apparent and now revealed a broadly brighter core region set within. (New)

UGC 4900 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=14.5, size=1.4’x0.7’, SBr=14.2):
Just over 1.5° east of the previous group of three galaxies I spotted the double star STTA 98, a pair of white stars oriented north-south. Their separation is listed at 111.1” with magnitudes of 8.0 and 8.4. They were easily split, and they also helped me find my last object for the evening. The spiral UGC 4900 is plotted almost 7’ west of the star pair. At 152x I did not see any sign of the object in the field. Going ahead to 199x I was now picking up hints of a small and very dim diffuse object. I moved on to 283x and was able to confirm the object as a small homogeneous oval disk of low surface brightness. (New)

I checked the time and it was after 2300 hours, and I had had enough of a good thing. The evening went well, and I was pleased, but I was also just plain tired. I was a little chilled, but not quite as bad as the previous evening. I had layered a little better this time. Anyway, that was it for this journey through a dark country sky. I had a great two nights of galaxy hunting, with a few other objects tossed in for good measure. Thanks for coming along with me as I dug deep into the night sky. Keep looking up friends, as that is where the good stuff truly is found!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 04 February 2024 - the twins, a crab and even a monkey's head!

Post by helicon »

Superb report Alan. I'd have to say extremely thorough and one of the best I have ever read, including the days when we were all aboard AF.net. The VROD is definitely in order here!

https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.p ... 49#p265249
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 04 February 2024 - the twins, a crab and even a monkey's head!

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:19 pm Superb report Alan. I'd have to say extremely thorough and one of the best I have ever read, including the days when we were all aboard AF.net. The VROD is definitely in order here!

Thank you Michael. Your kind words are most appreciated.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Impressive haul of galaxies Alan! I appreciate including of open clusters and nebula as well.

Somehow I have not managed to observe the Monkey Head yet, but it has to wait until I get back to the desert.

Don't you wish all sessions would be as great as this one?!

Congrats on the well deserved VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:07 am Impressive haul of galaxies Alan! I appreciate including of open clusters and nebula as well.

Somehow I have not managed to observe the Monkey Head yet, but it has to wait until I get back to the desert.

Don't you wish all sessions would be as great as this one?!

Congrats on the well deserved VROD!

Thank you Andrey. I had noticed those two clusters when I was looking at Uranometria and honestly had overlooked them previously. So that is why I wanted to make them my first priority. The monkey head, well that was a last second thought after finishing the clusters. A spur of the moment thing. When you get back out there, give it a try.

If all outings could be that productive, it would be a truly wonderful thing. But there are simply too many variables to be assured of the same results time after time. Nice thought though! :icon-smile:
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Very nice report, thanks!
Beautiful really deep quest through Gemini and Cancer. My compliments!
Under the city sky and with my modest aperture, I can usually skip all the faint NGCs and ICs in Geminide. Even NGC 2158 is quite a challenge. ( Except NGC2392 and 2410 , which are doable.)
Congratulations on the well deserved VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

wow this is some report , congrat on the well deserve vrod , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:37 am Very nice report, thanks!
Beautiful really deep quest through Gemini and Cancer. My compliments!
Under the city sky and with my modest aperture, I can usually skip all the faint NGCs and ICs in Geminide. Even NGC 2158 is quite a challenge. ( Except NGC2392 and 2410 , which are doable.)
Congratulations on the well deserved VROD!

Thank you John. I fully understand the limitations that many operate with in terms of aperture and sky quality. That is why I feel very blessed to have access to darker skies and larger aperture. For my observing habits, it is the perfect combination - weather permitting of course. :icon-smile:

messier 111 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:56 pm wow this is some report , congrat on the well deserve vrod , thx .

Thank you Jean-Yves. It was a very good night indeed. I enjoyed what I call a happy and satisfied tiredness afterwards. :icon-smile:
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session, great reporting, Alan! Congrats on your VROD!!

I took advantage of the three clear nights early in the week, as well. Certainly a rare opportunity these days!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:30 pm Great session, great reporting, Alan! Congrats on your VROD!!

I took advantage of the three clear nights early in the week, as well. Certainly a rare opportunity these days!!

Dave

Thank you Dave. Indeed, the string of clear nights in the area was surprising. I could have likely stayed over there for four nights, but I truly needed to get back home. Nonetheless, the two nights I had were quite successful. :icon-smile:
Alan

Falcon 63 Australia
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Falcon 63 »

G'day Alan,

your haul over a couple of nights would keep me going for a month!
Brillant work as usual my friend. Hope all is going well in your part of the world.

Cheers
Wayne.
Telescopes Saxon 10" x 1200 Dobsonian, Bresser 114 x 500 Dobsonian, Saxon 70 x 400 Refractor.
Eyepieces ES 82* 2" 18mm, 1.25" 11mm, GSO 2" 30mm superview, Seben mzt 8-24, Sky Watcher 58* 4mm and various Plossls.
Bino's Saxon 10 x 50, Carton 12 x 50, 10 x 25 ucf.
Other Skywatcher Solar System Imager

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Falcon 63 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:45 pm G'day Alan,

your haul over a couple of nights would keep me going for a month!
Brillant work as usual my friend. Hope all is going well in your part of the world.

Cheers
Wayne.

Hello there Wayne! Very nice to see you again. Thank you for your kind comments. Yes it was a really productive two night outing.

Things are quite well here, just older of course! I hope everything is going well for you there. Thanks for posting a sketch (NGC 5128) and hope to see you doing so more often. take care my friend.
Alan