What to observe beyond Moon and planets

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

What to observe beyond Moon and planets

Post by Bigzmey »

For those getting into the hobby and recently acquired a new scope we usually recommend to start with the Moon and planets. They are bright, easy to find and rewarding targets. But what to observe beyond that? What would be good targets to ease in and build experience and confidence?

Here are a few ideas. They have been discussed before but no harm in revisiting.

When I got back into observing with my daughter we had lots of fun following Skymaps monthly Evening Sky maps. For each month they list a few easy targets for naked eye, binoculars and telescope. Good way to learn constellations to.

https://skymaps.com/downloads.html

Messier catalog is a great gateway into exciting world of Deep Sky Objects (DSOs). It contains slightly over 100 objects of all DSO types, with many beautiful, large, bright and easy to find targets. Yet it also contains enough fainter stuff and a couple of really hard targets to hone your observing skills. I like Astronomical League Messier list. They list targets by seasons and then constellations which I find convenient when planning observing sessions.

https://www.astroleague.org/messier-program-list/

If you go after Messiers don't forget to report your progress here on TSS and get the bling and frameable certificate for your efforts. :D

https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=950

Double and multiple stars are another rewarding category of targets. There are plenty for any aperture from small binoculars to light buckets. They stand well to the light pollution and can be observed even with full Moon out. There many beautiful and even more challenging pairs to keep you occupied for years. Again, I suggest to start with Astronomical League Double Stars Observing Program. They have 100+ carefully selected pairs observable with 3" or larger scope. To get to the printable lists scroll down and click on the yellow hyperlinks.

https://www.astroleague.org/double-star ... g-program/

and another list for multiple stars

https://www.astroleague.org/multiple-st ... g-program/

Astro League has many other fun and challenging programs

https://www.astroleague.org/alphabeticobserving/

Finally, last but not least, check monthly selections of fun DSO targets from our very own Alan (Kt4hx).

https://theskysearchers.com/viewforum.php?f=83
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: What to observe beyond Moon and planets

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Carbon stars are fun to view.
Rubies on velvet :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

I also have a soft spot for open clusters. If you have seen NGC 4755 or NGC 3532 in the southern hemisphere then you will know why, even IC 2602 is spectacular from dark skies and amazing through binoculars.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

Flyhigh7 United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Flyhigh7 »

Good advice. I love Globular Clusters as when you get them in focus you suddenly see this beautiful diamond in the sky that is almost sparkling.
'The only way to make it is to try!'

Telescope: Celestron Evolution 9.25 with Celestron Motor Focus
Evolution WiFi Mount Head/ built in 10 Hr Battery and CPC Tripod
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster Giant 15x70 / Heavy Duty Tripod
Simmons 10x50
Camera: Canon Digital Rebel XT EOS 350D
Diagonal: Baader 2" BBHS Sitall Mirror
EPs: Baader Hyperion Aspheric 36mm 1.25"/2", Pentax XW 20mm, Pentax XW 7mm,
Tele Vue Delite 11mm, Plossl 40mm & 13mm
Barlow Lens: Tele Vue 2.5x - 1.25" Powermate
Filters: Baader Planetarium Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great ideas, Andrey! Well done!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

I noticed that you included several links to the Astronomical League Observing Programs. I find them to be a good resource for ideas. I look over all their programs and choose the ones I am most interested in.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

And don't forget asterisms. I like to show folks the coathanger, the swan nebula, and other such delightful goodies.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

The double cluster seen through a 10" equatorial mounted reflector at a neighbor's house in Southern California in the latter 70's hooked me. Gorgeous sight. Of course back then such large aperture scopes were quite rare. Either you could buy a Cave Astrola or a newfangled Meade "research grade" Newtonian featuring the scientist in a white coat in their print ads. This was all before the Dobsonian revolution which made large scopes affordable, or better yet you could build your own.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

thank you very much, these sites are very interesting.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Living in RSA most of the time we have constant power cuts so people have installed their own lights , its like New York at times , cant even see planets , crazy but moon is ok , I have given up at home , we have a part share in a game lodge that is great so no big scope for now , but plan is to get a big scope on the lodge I hope to build an observatory with a 20inch newt , but no ones agrees , what do you say watch some game during the day and stars etc at night ?
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5