Let's see your reports!
Caddman United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Observation report-Orion and Sirius to Cancer

Post by Caddman »

It's been a while since I posted on the forum.

Observation Report February 3,2024

I went to our company party Saturday night. It was a tossup between going to a friend of mine’s place to do some imaging or the party. Clear Sky Chart showed low transparency and some cloud cover. So, I elected to do the party.

After I got home from the party, I noticed the sky was clear and seeing looked good. I contacted my friend, and he had been imaging for about three hours. I obviously made the wrong choice. Since it was too late to gather my gear and head up to my friend’s place, I decided to grab the 15X70 binocular and head out the back door.

I live in the middle of town. The light pollution in our town isn’t bad, but it does exist. I can still make out the Milky Way from my back yard. Fortunately, my neighbors turned their outdoor lights off. I have enough natural blockage from the church on the other side of my property to eliminate the light from the church sign and security lights. The only bad spot is the church parking lot. Those lights limit my view to the NE. The light dome from Hood River, Oregon washes anything out to the SSW.

I observed for about an hour and a half at which time any worthwhile targets had entered the Hood River light dome. I couldn’t even make out the brighter star of Sirius’s head. I shut it down at that point.

Here’s what I Observed.

M41 Beehive Cluster
Open Cluster
Magnitude 4.5 Surface Brightness 12.19
Size 00d39’00”
This cluster appeared fuzzy with the larger stars distinct and easy to make out.

NGC 2244 Rosette Cluster
Open Cluster
Magnitude 4.8 Surface Brightness 11.44
Size 00d24’00”
The stars in the cluster were distinct and very easy to see. I could not make out any nebulous gases. That was to be expected with how dim the gases were and the existing light pollution.

M42 Orion Nebula
Emission Nebula
Magnitude 4.00 Surface Brightness 13.07
Size 1d30’00”
This is a very bright emission nebula. It was easy to see with the naked eye, even in the city’s light pollution. It became much more distinct through the binoculars. I could easily see the gases glowing. I could not make out the detail in the nebula.

M93 Butterfly Cluster
Open Cluster
Magnitude 6.2 Surface Brightness 10.94
Size 00d10’00”
This cluster appeared very faint and fuzzy. It became more distinct with averted vision. I could not distinguish individual stars.

M47
Open Cluster
Magnitude 4.4 Surface Brightness 11.13
Size 00d25’00”
Brighter stars were very distinct. Dimmer stars appeared fuzzy.

M46
Open Cluster
Magnitude 6.1 Surface Brightness 12.34
Size 00d20’00”
This cluster appeared extremely faint and fuzzy. I had to use averted vision to see the cluster. No distinct stars in the cluster could be seen.

M44 Beehive Cluster
Open Cluster
Magnitude 3.1 Surface Brightness 12..06
Size 1d10’00”
The cluster is large and open. The stars appeared very bright and spread out. I could readily make out individual stars with no difficulty.

M67 Golden Eye Cluster
Open Cluster
Magnitude 6.9 Surface Brightness 13.63
Size 00d25’00”
This cluster appeared very faint and fuzzy. I could barely see the cluster. Averted vision made it more pronounced yet still faint. No distinct stars could be seen.
Glenn

Telescopes; Stellarvue SVA130T, WO GT71, Orion SkyQuest XT10, Orion 10" f/3.9 Astrograph
Mounts; Atlas EQ-G, Celestron CGX-L
Binoculars; Oberwerk LW 11 X 70, Oberwerk 25 X 100
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observation report-Orion and Sirius to Cancer

Post by Bigzmey »

Great binocular session Glenn! You are fortunate to still be able to see Milky Way from your backyard. For me those days gone long time.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 593

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice report with some excellent descriptions of your observations Glenn. Having access to some dark skies makes the binos truly powerful in terms of light grasp. Congratulations on winning the VROD for today!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Yes, great bino session, Glenn! Congrats on your VROD recognition.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

congrat on the vrod .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Well done Glenn, and sounds like a fine spur of the moment binocular session indeed. Congrats on the VROD.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Nice observing report Glenn. The Rosette Nebulosity is very difficult to detect even from very dark skies.

I picked up one minor error. You’ve labeled both M41 and M44 as the Beehive. M44 is the Beehive not M41. M41 is sometimes called the Little Beehive but it’s not used a lot in my experience.

Great report and congratulations on the VROD

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Caddman United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Caddman »

OzEclipse wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:56 am Nice observing report Glenn. The Rosette Nebulosity is very difficult to detect even from very dark skies.

I picked up one minor error. You’ve labeled both M41 and M44 as the Beehive. M44 is the Beehive not M41. M41 is sometimes called the Little Beehive but it’s not used a lot in my experience.

Great report and congratulations on the VROD

Joe
I see that. I meant to state Little Beehive. Thanks.
Glenn

Telescopes; Stellarvue SVA130T, WO GT71, Orion SkyQuest XT10, Orion 10" f/3.9 Astrograph
Mounts; Atlas EQ-G, Celestron CGX-L
Binoculars; Oberwerk LW 11 X 70, Oberwerk 25 X 100
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Excellent report, Glenn. Congrats on the VROD.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
M67 is quite faint. Good job with binoculars!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.