Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Lucy Moving On

Post by Graeme1858 »

Sitting in a waiting Room. Found this on my phone.

https://www.space.com/lucy-asteroid-pro ... n-to-earth

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Lucy Moving On

Post by KingClinton »

Lucy fired it's main engine for 36 minutes and changed it's velocity by 3500KPH. That is mind boggling, even with the boost in velocity it will arrive here in time for a Christmas visit, space is BIG!!
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

When the article described part of Lucy's itinerary, I first read "the small body 52246 Donaldjohanson" as Asteroid Don Johnson. But I quickly realized that instead of Lucy heading for a short tryst with Mr Miami Vice, that is actually more likely the long-term destination of Elon's Red Tesla Roadster...
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

The highlighted Space.com article does a poor job of detailing Lucy's path through the Trojans.

She is actually visiting 4+ Asteroid "doubles" in the forward L4 "Greek Camp" before the final Earth Gravity-Assist which slings her to visit a few additional Asteroid "doubles" in the trailing L5 "Trojan Camp" including Patroclus/Menoetius in March 2033.
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)