Down to Two,(I think...)

Discuss your 'Cats' here.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Down to Two,(I think...)

Post by Bigzmey »

hosshead wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:41 pm So here comes The Stupid Question;
Can I mount the Edge 9.25 on the rather heavy duty wooden tripod that I salvaged from the Meade 6" newt?
It is pretty sturdy but I think the 9.25 comes with a dovetail if purchased as OTA alone.

OR
I think I may wind up "hossying" up the money for the package that has the GEM ll tripod/mount... has the computer dealie and it seems like the tripod has been built more sturdily.

Means another couple paychecks but it's never bad to be patient.
I don't believe your Meade mount will provide adequate support for 9.25". Not rushing in is a good thing.

Another thing to consider is the mount weight. GEM II mount head alone is 40lb.

At one point I had an observing setup consisting of 5" APO refractor on EQ mount. While I have enjoyed the views I did not like moving weights around and a few months down the road realized that I am skipping it for smaller but easier to deploy scope.

So for the mount the same rule as for the scope apply. You want to get the largest/heaviest mount you can handle comfortably and select the scope to fit it.

How strongly are you considering the AP down the road?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by hosshead »

To Bigzmey;
I do wish to get into the AP at some stage.
Of course that is some bit of time in the future.
But I will want a scope that can be a good instrument for both visual and for photography.

I'm still taking this very carefully and slowly, even the idea of a decent used refractor with some objectives that can make it more versatile or maybe broaden my little Celestron's abilities with some other eyepieces, a Barlow etc.

I have a strong bug for photography.
My Dad gave me his old film cameras when I was little.
I still work with film and I shoot weather photography like crazy.

So, yes to AP someday.
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

hosshead wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:49 am To Bigzmey;
But I will want a scope that can be a good instrument for both visual and for photography.

I'm still taking this very carefully and slowly, even the idea of a decent used refractor with some objectives that can make it more versatile or maybe broaden my little Celestron's abilities with some other eyepieces, a Barlow etc.

So, yes to AP someday.
In this case you should invest in a good quality EQ mount, which will support both visual and AP.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

Yessir. absolutely.
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

hosshead wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:49 am To Bigzmey;

So, yes to AP someday.
I have stayed out of this as I have owned a variety of scopes, but none being SCT's. I will chip in about AP to say that if you look at all the astrophotography done these days, a very small percentage is captured at the prime focus of an SCT and almost none on a single or double arm fork mounted scope. You will find it much easier to "learn the ropes" using a DSLR camera & lenses that you may already own, or with a small to medium fast wide field refractor.

Avoid single or double arm fork mounts. They are more difficult to polar align and you can't swap out the optics. The venerable German EQ mount or it's many clever variants give you the most flexibility with respect to switching other OTA's in and out for astrophotography.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

Thank you so much!
It's definitely going to be some sort of GEM.
The physics are obviously better.
I really super appreciate your input!