Discuss telescope eyepieces.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Astro-Tech EPs

Post by JayTee »

Has anyone tried any of the UWA EPs from Astro-Tech? I just stumbled across them today and became curious about their performance.

They can be found here.
https://www.astronomics.com/b/astro-tec ... eries=1051

Thanks,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Astro-Tech EPs

Post by Bigzmey »

They are priced attractively. The eye relieve is tight at 12mm though.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I have not personally, but in this thread at CN, they seem to be very favorably looked upon by several folks. An interesting find. I could sell my higher priced EPs and easily afford the complete run of those! :icon-smile:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/8769 ... ry12712008
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by Don Pensack »

These are made by United Optics in China (for close to 20 years, now) and exported under several labels:
Angeleyes
Astrotech
Auriga
Lacerta
Meade
OVL
Sky Optic
Sky Rover
Skywatcher
Stellarvue
Tecnosky
Telescope Service

And in the past, from William Optics and others.
So you can find reviews of the other brands and the comments will apply to the Astrotech.

Eye relief varies from focal length to focal length.
You can find specs for all of them here:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/8623 ... p=12473522
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Looks like they're on sale now - $20 off regular price.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
rickclark28 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by rickclark28 »

I ended up getting these AT EPs to hold me over while I decide what if any high-end EP’s I will need. I can’t say enough good things about them. They work great for me, and I am not lacking good quality views while I learn. These are the most amazing views, and I can take my time deciding what TV’s to get. The price is amazing, and the quality speaks for itself. Just my new/old beginner view. You can find good data on them at CN and astronomics.com…!
Review on some of them:
https://astrogeartoday.com/astro-tech-p ... ble-price/
I use these to learn on and they are great. The granddaughter took the AT-UWA 28 for a while and it is amazing to use.
Astro-Tech 5.5mm PF 60°
Astro-Tech 15.5mm PF 65°
Astro-Tech 25mm PF 65°
Astro-Tech 4mm UWA 82°
Astro-Tech 7mm UWA 82°
Astro-Tech 10mm UWA 82°
Astro-Tech 13mm UWA 82°
Astro-Tech 16mm UWA 82
Telescopes: *Celestron DX5 SCT 127mm 5" w/StarSense *Astro-Tech 80ED AT80ED
Eyepiece: AT-UWA 4/7/10/13/16, AT-PF 5.5/15.5/25, ES52/10, ES62/20, SvBony 26-70 2", 7-21/3-8 zoom, Bresser 30/35 2"
Binoculars: Minolta 10x50 Wide Angle 7", HUTACT 10x42,
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I now have the 28mm and though I've not used it extensively yet, I found it put up very nice views with my 17.5 inch f/4.5.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

So whats the verdict on their 100 to 110 degree stuff? The price is definitely attractive enough. I would be using them in a F7 frac, a F5 and F4.4 dobs.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Mike Q wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:14 pm So whats the verdict on their 100 to 110 degree stuff? The price is definitely attractive enough. I would be using them in a F7 frac, a F5 and F4.4 dobs.
These eyepieces, made by United Optics in KunMing, are some of the best bargains in eyepieces.
They were introduced many years ago by William Optics, and later sold by Telescope Optics, and a joint venture of APM and Lunt.
Today, they are available under the labels APM, Antares, Astrotech, Tecnosky, Telescope Service, Sky Rover, Stellarvue, and Arsenal.
Rating the focal lengths--actual focal lengths are in bold--in 1 to 5 stars with 5 stars best:
20mm****
13/13.5mm****
9mm****
7mm*****
4.7/4.8/4.9/5mm****
3.5/3.6mm**

The 20mm, 9mm, and 3.6mm all have a trace of edge of field astigmatism, worst in the 3.6mm.
The 13.5mm and 4.8mm are about tied in that regard, with a little cleaner edges.
The 7mm is nearly perfect.
The edge issues are so far out in the field that unless you spend a lot of time looking at the edge, it won't be noticeable.
It starts in the 3.6mm, though, about halfway out, which is why I rated it lower.

My ratings pertain to scopes of f/4-f/5. At longer f/ratios, they improve substantially.

There are literally thousands of on-line reviews if you search for the brands.
And some lab tests can be found here:
https://astro-talks.ru/forum/viewtopic. ... 483#p41976
Astronomer since 1963
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the AT 7mm 100 last week. It arrived on eclipse day, needless to say i did not open the box until after the eclipse was over. Yes we have honestly been cloud starting the day after i got it. It will be used in the 102 and 10 inch mostly. It would take a pretty good night for me to use it in the 16. For grins today i set up the frac and 10 inch in the day light and looked at the moon with it. By no means is this a great test of the eyepiece but i will say that even in full sunlight the moon looked pretty good. The image in both scopes was nice and sharp. I was kind of shocked at how light it is. I really expected it to be heavier. I dont know who makes these but i would guess that they share some DNA with the ES 100 degree eyepieces, but that is just a guess
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Mike Q wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:17 pm I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the AT 7mm 100 last week. It arrived on eclipse day, needless to say i did not open the box until after the eclipse was over. Yes we have honestly been cloud starting the day after i got it. It will be used in the 102 and 10 inch mostly. It would take a pretty good night for me to use it in the 16. For grins today i set up the frac and 10 inch in the day light and looked at the moon with it. By no means is this a great test of the eyepiece but i will say that even in full sunlight the moon looked pretty good. The image in both scopes was nice and sharp. I was kind of shocked at how light it is. I really expected it to be heavier. I dont know who makes these but i would guess that they share some DNA with the ES 100 degree eyepieces, but that is just a guess
The XWA performance is higher than the ES 100° eyepieces. The XWAs are closer to the performance of Tele Vue Ethos.
The 7mm, in particular, is the equal of the Ethos line. It fits right in between the 8mm and 6mm Ethos eyepieces.

XWAs are made by KunMing United Optics (KUO).
ES 100s are made by Jing Hua Optical Company (JOC).
Tele Vue Ethos are made in Taiwan by a factory that only makes eyepieces for Tele Vue.
Astronomer since 1963
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

The eye relief on the 7mm/100 is definitely tight. You have to get your eye right in there to see the whole FOV. Fortunately I am used to short eye relief and actually prefer it, so it's not a big deal to me.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

So tonight i set up the 4 inch and tossed the AT 7/100 in the focuser and aimed at the moon and made some mental notes. I switched over to the ES 9/100 and looked at the same set of craters and made some mental notes. I then called the wife, she is my official eyepiece tester. She looked thru the ES and gave the sign of approval. I switched over to the AT and she refocused and gave a oh wow. She and I both agree that the Astro Tech gives a sharper image then the ES. Is it a lot? Not really but it is noticeable. Not bad at all for a eyepiece that cost less then 300 bucks.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Mike Q wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:18 pm The eye relief on the 7mm/100 is definitely tight. You have to get your eye right in there to see the whole FOV. Fortunately I am used to short eye relief and actually prefer it, so it's not a big deal to me.
The eye relief on the 7mm XWA is measured at 12mm from the glass.
Flip the eyecup down and you shouldn't have any problem with that.
Astronomer since 1963
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Don Pensack wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:19 pm
Mike Q wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:18 pm The eye relief on the 7mm/100 is definitely tight. You have to get your eye right in there to see the whole FOV. Fortunately I am used to short eye relief and actually prefer it, so it's not a big deal to me.
The eye relief on the 7mm XWA is measured at 12mm from the glass.
Flip the eyecup down and you shouldn't have any problem with that.
Oh it is flipped down and for me i basically rest my face on the rubber to get the whole FOV. It is tight, but i dont mind it at all
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL