Post your nightscape photos here.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Printing season is open!

Post by OzEclipse »

Poster printing season is open

One company I use for large format printing has regular promotional discounts for various size prints. I prepare and queue up my prints in different size batches and when that size goes on special I send in a batch online order. They are a national chain. If you get small prints made, they are printed in your local store by people who are not experts. But because larger format prints are much less common, anything bigger than 12x16 inch gets sent to the national printing centre where the operators seem to know what they are doing based on my previous experience. I have a second folder with 20x30 inch prints awaiting a special offer. These prints below represent images from about the past two years.

When preparing any prints, I always begin by considering the frame I intend to use then format the print and canvas to suit the frame size. Whether using existing frames or buying mass produced off the shelf, this is the most economical way to frame and display your work. For example, Ikea sells a 50x70cm faux woodgrain frame that looks quite ok for about USD25. A similarly sized custom frame costs at least 10 times that much and up. It comes with a clear acrylic "glass" that keeps it nice and lightweight for easy hanging. The printing company I use offer 20x30 inch 50.4x76cm prints not 50x70. So, I format the print on a 20x30 inch canvas in photoshop, lay down precise cutting lines for 50 x 70 with image positioned for that canvas size. The entire print can then be trimmed and dropped straight into the frame. I have a 40 inch rotary trimmer but the print can also easily be trimmed with a sharp utility knife and a straight edge. Having prepared and framed prints for more than thirty exhibitions, I have a very steady cutting hand and can follow a cutting line with a sharp knife freehand without a straight edge.

The current special is for 16 x 20" prints on Fuji Crystal Archive paper for USD $8 each. From my photography exhibition days I have a boatload of 16 x 20 inch frames. I have cropped off the white borders for this post but I format them onto a 16x20 inch canvas, the prints being smaller within generous and gallery style proportioned white borders.

Fuji Crystal Archive is great. It has an archival rating of 100 years under normal display conditions. I don't know about 100 years but I have Fuji Crystal Archive Paper prints that have been hanging on my wall and those of people who purchased prints from me since some of my earlier exhibitions that are now 20 years old without any sign of fading. Good enough for me!

Obviously the Earthrise isn't mine but the rest were all taken by me over the past few years.

Cheers
Joe.

ZTF-stack 16x20.jpg

Weethalie-2-Cali copy 2.jpg

HDR-Lunar-Halo 16x20 copy.jpg

EARTHRISE-16x20 copy 2.jpg

diamond ring copy 2.jpg

CHRISTMAS-2023-Supercell-16x20--7216-16x20 copy.jpg

Airglow-20211031-0883-16x20 copy.jpg

spring-storm-cell-6896 copy.jpg
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Printing season is open!

Post by messier 111 »

I place my order, I will take one of each. thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Printing season is open!

Post by OzEclipse »

And right on cue, the 20 x 30 inch size went on discount today at USD 16 ea.

The frames I use are 50x70cm, a bit smaller than the 20x30inch print so I embed trimming lines into the image or sometimes, I just shade the area to be trimmed all in black, as in the case of the comet image. Saves on spending time measuring & marking later.

Leonard-Dec-28-20x30 copy.jpg

Geminids-2024 copy.jpg

All-Saints-Tamangaroo-6827 copy.jpg

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)