Geminids 2023 - Oh what a night! Sweet December back in twenty three....

Let's see your reports!
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Geminids 2023 - Oh what a night! Sweet December back in twenty three....

Post by OzEclipse »

My mate @scribbly came up on Thursday afternoon and we set up for the night. Phil acquired a very compact and portable 10" f5 a few months ago. We've attempted to have him come up for a night each month since September but have been thwarted by weather. In the early part of the night we put it through its paces. This was my first opportunity to look through this telescope.

A late start as we approach the summer solstice, twilight doesn't end until about 10pm local time in this region.

First target was Jupiter. Seeing was excellent with the scope easily holding a steady image at more than 200X magnifcation using a 7mm Nagler and a Pentax XW5. We then switched to the Orion nebula. The 10" optics showed hues of red in M43 and along the rim. Greens and blues could be seen in other areas. Phil turned the telescope to 47 Tuc and we blew it open with the Pentax XW5. We also compared the views between my Pentax XW5 and Baader Hyperion 5mm. On bright objects where contrast is king such as the Moon or Jupiter, the XW noticeably out performs the Hyperion. But on this 4th magnitude globular cluster, the difference was far less noticeable, stars being well resolved in both eyepieces. The Pentax still gave a superior image but the gap was smaller than I have noted on other subjects.

After this short interlude and with Gemini rising, Phil and I set up for the Geminids meteor shower and left the scope along. I had a reclining camp lounge while Phil set up a camp stretcher bed. Phil had his Canon Rp with a full frame fisheye lens on his Losmandy G11. I'll leave him to report his own details. I set up a simple arrangement. I polar aligned a Losmandy Starlapse tracker. I mounted my Pentax K1 DSLR with a Samyang 14mm f2.8. The camera was set to ISO 3200, 14mm f2.8 and shutter speed set to 40s. I set my intervalometer to trigger a shutter press of 1s with a 40s delay between shutter triggers. This leads to a series of 40s exposures with a 1s gap in between the end of one exposure and the beginning of another.

Once the camera was set I forgot about it and settled into my recliner to do some visual observing. It was a stunning night. The Orion arm of the Milky Way was really popping with the galactic dust beautifully mottled by dark nebulosity and dust.

The night was cool not cold 20C/68F with only light clothing required. Later it cooled down and I needed to get a jacket. From my location in the southern hemisphere, the entry angle into the atmosphere is a low angle of incidence. Consequently many of the meteors were not bright and from our southern location, ZHR's were not particularly high. We began to count but both of us dozed off from time to time as the night progressed. It seemed to me that we were observing a ZHR of around 30-50. From our southern location, with the radiant in Gemini on the north eastern horizon, the meteors may not have been as abundant as the geometrically favoured northern hemisphere but those we did observe were mostly displaying long slow burns some lasting for a transit of some 70-140 degrees with broad widths and high persistence vapour trails. It was spectacular.

The rate was highly variable from almost 0 to many per minute for short periods. It was a gorgeous night and a much better show than the Leonids which I observed alone one month earlier. We were both sleepy and by about 3am local time, the show seemed to be over and we powered down and went inside to bed for the night.

On my DSLR, I captured 252 frames. I stacked 30 subs to make the background starfield then extracted 42 images showing moving objects. Using a couple of methods, I excluded 24 frames as either aircraft or satellite trails. I registered the remaining 18 frames containing meteors and identified and labelled those tracks consistent with the Geminid radiant with a "G." Others are random meteors or space junk debris.

Geminids-2023-CALI-2500px.jpg

Phil was supposed to stay for three nights (Thu, Fri, Sat) until he received a call from home this morning to say that his son has tested positive for COVID. He is potentially carrying the virus. He did a rat test that came out negative. Nonetheless, he packed up and left straight away. I will wait and see if Phil tests positive, then I'll need to start testing. :cry:

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Geminids 2023 - Oh what a night! Sweet December back in twenty three....

Post by Graeme1858 »

OzEclipse wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:34 am Once the camera was set I forgot about it and settled into my recliner to do some visual observing. It was a stunning night.

Same as that Joe. I set up a camera Wednesday night and Thursday night. Both nights there were a good 20 or so meteors to be seen visually.

An excellent show!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 593

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thanks for the fine report Joe and congratulations on it being selected for today's VROD award!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

congrat on the well deserve vrod , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

helicon wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:42 am Thanks for the fine report Joe and congratulations on it being selected for today's VROD award!
Thank you Michael!
Regards
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Nice report of an outstanding shower Joe. A well deserved VROD for certain!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

What a great session! :D
Congratulations on the VROD!!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
scribbly Australia
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by scribbly »

Joe, thanks for the great report and a n even better evening, I've been offline for a while. It was good to share my excitement for the new scope, and its been a while since I've fallen asleep under the stars!
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42