Camera Offset Settings

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Camera Offset Settings

Post by Graeme1858 »

Cuiv the Lazy Geek did a recent video about camera Offset settings. I've only ever used the default Offset settings until now. I understand what the offset is but I've always assumed the factory default was ok. So I carried out the testing that the Cuiv man describes and discovered that I have a lot of redundant pixels! My ASI 1600MM factory Offset setting was 8, now it's 20.

I've been out capturing new Dark Frames tonight with the new Offset. Tomorrow is the first clear night for ages but it's up to 18mph winds. Wednesday night looks better. Here's hoping I get an opportunity to trial my new settings.

Here's the video:

APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Camera Offset Settings

Post by AstroBee »

I just recently did the same thing Graeme. The default setting on my 2600MM and MC was 50 and I had always kept it as that. I had just finished building my new master dark library for the winter using 50 and then I ran across Cuiv's video so I decided to watch it. I forwarded it to a friend that I know as a local expert who's advice I trust just to confirm Cuiv's process and he agreed with it so I ran the test. And of course my best results came in different, 15 to be exact, so I spent two more nights rebuilding my master dark library.
Oh well, what else is there to do on the cloudy nights?
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Camera Offset Settings

Post by Juno16 »

Interesting video!

I am a big time Cuiv fan. He has cost me lots of money! His reviews steered me to the ASI533, Sharpstar 61, Mele Overclock 3C, and ASI EAF (I'm sure others too).

I enjoyed the video and checked histograms to find that I did have some (small) offset to the right. Definitely small, but there is all of the lights that I looked at.

I changed from default on the ASI33MC (don't remember if it was 70 or 50) to 30 many moons ago. My darks at 30 still measured 1200 adu, so I felt comfortable there. I saw no need to have over 2000 adu just thrown away by using a higher offset. Of course, by thinking may be wrong!

An interesting note though, I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Cuiv uses dark frames at all with his "no amp glow" sensor cameras. He says that the difference in noise levels are negligible.

Thanks Graeme for the interesting link!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/