Observatory Mount (Which One to Get?)

If we see enough activity with a given brand we will create a new subforum.
chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Observatory Mount (Which One to Get?)

Post by chartram »

Hello,

My wife and I are building on land under Bortle 3 skies, and my plan is to build a fully remote observatory on the property. That said- Looking for user experiences with the following three observatory-grade mounts:

1. SB Paramount Myt
2. Skywatcher EQ8-R(h) Pro
3. iOptron CEM120 (EC)

I'd like to keep the budget at <$9k.

I have buddies with Myt's and they love them once dialed in. But at the same time they have said that getting tech support for SB mounts is not the easiest experience.

The EQ8-Rh Pro is high on the list due to the Renishaw encoder, and plus I can still use all the same software (EQMOD etc) that I am familiar with, but I do not know anyone with personal experience using the mount. Same goes for the CEM120. Although I do not know exactly which encoder it has, I do know that it is a very capable instrument. I've watched dozens of videos highlighting pros and cons of each, but in the end it has gotten me no closer to a decision. Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observatory Mount (Which One to Get?)

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Mike,
Lucky you! I have no experience with any of those mounts but one of our members had a great deal of trouble with a CEM120. Sadly, we believe he may have succumbed to lung cancer. He told us he was going for treatment for some quite big lung tumours, then never posted again. However if you search TSS for "CEM120" his posts about issues with the CEM120 from 2022 should come up. Username was "Turboscrew"

Good luck

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

OzEclipse wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:07 am Hi Mike,
Lucky you! I have no experience with any of those mounts but one of our members had a great deal of trouble with a CEM120. Sadly, we believe he may have succumbed to lung cancer. He told us he was going for treatment for some quite big lung tumours, then never posted again. However if you search TSS for "CEM120" his posts about issues with the CEM120 from 2022 should come up. Username was "Turboscrew"

Good luck

Joe
Thank you, Joe. That is sad. There was a gentleman on an astronomy social media page I moderate that always gave great insight. After not hearing from him for a while, a quick search revealed that he had passed away. Not sure how he died, but it definitely gave us pause.

At this point, I think I am leaning more toward the EQ8-Rh Pro or the MyT. I had also looked at the Astrophysics mounts, but do not want to wait a year, plus the $11k price tag does not get the buyer an imaging-ready setup. By the time you purchase everything needed for first light, you’re out at least $15k. I’d like something that comes ready to go right out of the box. And let’s face it, I’m just a regular guy with a family to feed :lol: :lol:
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

AFAIK on TSS we have only had one CEM120 user who had major problems. I don't know if his location near the polar circle added to it, or the fact that this was his first mount and first AP experience. But one sample is not enough for a balanced opinion. Searching online, I found quite a few positive reviews as well, some are very positive. If I had to get another mount the CEM60/70/120 would be high on my list especially the ones with encoders.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:54 pm AFAIK on TSS we have only had one CEM120 user who had major problems. I don't know if his location near the polar circle added to it, or the fact that this was his first mount and first AP experience. But one sample is not enough for a balanced opinion. Searching online, I found quite a few positive reviews as well, some are very positive. If I had to get another mount the CEM60/70/120 would be high on my list especially the ones with encoders.
I have also seen many positive reviews of the CEM120. That’s the rub- each of those mounts seems to have their strengths and quirks. It’s a really difficult choice because I KNOW they are all good mounts. But without getting to test each one, or see each in person, it’s tough to figure out which would serve my particular needs as well as stand the test of time.
Mike Chartrand
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

So just to close the loop, I have decided that I will get the MyT.
Mike Chartrand