Can somebody PLEEEZE explain why the orange tube C8 is such a big deal?

Discuss your 'Cats' here.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Can somebody PLEEEZE explain why the orange tube C8 is such a big deal?

Post by hosshead »

... because I really REALLY want to know!
Yes, we know I am a superNewbie here and to shopping for telescopes.
And I see plenty of listings for C8's.
Also a LOT of dobs.

I'm having trouble deciding between a CST vs a Newtonian....
And understanding the cachet of the C8 will help me make up my mind.
Are they listed for sale because they aren't quite so purposeful as they used to be?
They certainly seem portable enough.

I just really am kind of overwhelmed by the market out there.

choosing the right anemometer wasn't this hard..... :roll:
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Re: Can somebody PLEEEZE explain why the orange tube C8 is such a big deal?

Post by hosshead »

p. s. and what's this byers drive and are there controllers available for a mounted c8 that the controller and cable is missing?
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

C8 has been around for many years and is very popular size because it is in the goldilocks zone: compact, lightweight and not too expensive, but has large enough aperture to be a lifetime telescope. Since many people buy them and they last long time you see them often on the used market.

I would not hesitate to buy it used if it is in a good condition. Buying without controller is problematic because you can't test the mount to confirm functionality without the controller. On the other hand, used controllers come on the used market on occasion and if the price is good you can always use OTA with another mount.

I bought orange C8 as OTA without mount and been using it on mounts of my choice.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

what sorts of things can this resolve vs a 12 inch newt?
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

A lot of it is nostalgia with the old orange-tube C-8's I grew up in the 70's and seeing Spock advertising for Celestron in Astronomy and Sky & Telescope magazines, I always wished I could have one. Now I do!
The one I picked up happened to be complete and in mint condition with all the parts including the original tripod that is now very rare because they rusted so badly, it was usually the first part to be trashed. I rarely use mine because I cherish it for the childhood memories, So when I die and someone gets this it will be quite the find.
The Byer's drive was highly touted back in the day because of its accuracy in tracking at sidereal speed. Very common with today's modern electronics so not such a big deal.
Don't confuse the original orange tube with the modern orange tube Celestron's. Optically, the new scopes are probably better. But the new scopes also have a lot more plastic parts on them that the original used metal.
If you are planning on actually using the scope and not just using it as decoration, I would get a newer scope. Link to newer orange tube C-8 - https://www.celestron.com/products/nexs ... -telescope

Image Image
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

So I am kinda leaning toward the edge hd because it seems like a best of most worlds choice, like it would be good for just looking at things with clarity and colour and will accommodate photography,(after I get any good at it), and might have a big enough eye to collect a lot of light.
And a bit less fiddly than a reflector.
This seems like sort of an hybrid... I gather that it resolves colour and detail pretty well!

I think right now I want to get enough scope for a reasonable price to carry me a ways, that I can "tart it up" a bit with a few objectives and a nicer mount,(I think I may have to start with the old Meade wooden gem thingie harvested from a yard sale that's workable but we'll have to figure out how to adapt the dovetail), eventually affort a sidereal drive to make it nice for pics.

I wish I can afford a 10 inch of these!
I think we may have to settle for the 8, if I decide on the Celestron "hybrid".
*sighs and ducks the shoes that were hurled at the use of "hybrid"*

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

8" SCT can resolve same things as 8" Newt, and 12" Newt can resolve much more compared to 8" scope. However, 8" scope is much easier to deploy or transport.

The best scope is the one which you don't hesitate to use. When it gets too large and heavy to handle comfortably you will start skipping clear nights. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

so will a 12 inch newt see colour as well as the edge hd even the 8"?
Things that I am reading suggest that the colour and detail may be better with the sct and refractors but the reflectors do fainter and farther better.

Or is this not accurate?

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Hosshead, everything I say is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. It's just my 2 cents worth of advice. And now that I've laid those two expressions out, maybe you've also heard of putting the cart before the horse?
The EdgeHD line of SCT's are mainly (Not always) used for imaging because they provide a flat field of view across the entire sensor frame. Something that is not completely necessary for visual use. You've already mentioned that you will probably start out visual and then maybe down the road try imaging. With your current mount, it seems unlikely you will be diving into imaging unless you are just a glutton for punishment.
I almost always recommend for people that are interested in getting into astrophotography to start out with a small wide-field refractor. They are much more forgiving to mount and operator errors.
If you insist on buying a longer focal length reflector, look at a regular SCT or newt. and saving the money you would have spent on the edge HD model for a better mount in the future.
Also, you need to consider the payload capacity of your mount (You didn't mention the specific mount, just the brand and type.) For most mounts, the suggested payload capacity that the manufacturers list is usually for visual work. For imaging you can cut that rating down to about 60%.
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

hosshead wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:08 pm so will a 12 inch newt see colour as well as the edge hd even the 8"?
You will NOT see any color in any scope smaller than 18" (some folks say all the way to 30") except for very blue planetary nebulas (they don't count).
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

hosshead wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:08 pm so will a 12 inch newt see colour as well as the edge hd even the 8"?
Or is this not accurate?
As JT already mentioned. Forget about seeing color in non-stellar objects. That's not going to happen. I looked at M42, the Orion nebula which is extremely bright through a very fast 24" Dob once. It was breathtakingly bright, but no color. Even using averted-imagination!
You will see colors in stars and planets, but not galaxies and nebulae.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

Dear KillerBee,(Astro :wink:)
I studied meteorology.
So, OF COURSE I am a glutton for punishment.

lol

Well I don't know the model of the Meade wooden tripod/equatorial mount because it seems to be CREAKINGLY old. But the mount head is smooth and pans correctly and without catchiness or noise. I think, with some tlc and elbow grease I can make the wooden tripod nice again. It even has all the wingnuts and adjustments knobs!

I hear what you are saying about carts and hosses,(lol again), and shall take your guidance quite seriously.
I have found some pretty decent offerings in the used market and I think I will aim my budget in that direction, save up for that 150,000 buck observatory grade scope for when I live in a very dark desert setting someday....

No, seriously, start with something that will give me a good idea about how much pursuit of photography I want to do, then make decisions about upgrades or other scopes from there.
As for colour; I want to SEE the colours of Jupiter. Planet colours YES!!!
I want to SEEEEE Saturns rings in much better detail than I am seeing now through my Skymaster binocs.
I want an aperture big enough to keep me happy for a while, until I can afford to advance a bit.

At least I own my own place lol.

*edited because my typos create a grammar of their very own.
Xio1996 Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

Post by Xio1996 »

Can I throw a "curve ball" into the discussion. First of all, being from the UK, I can only guess what a "curve ball" is, sorry. I have an 8 inch SCT, a CPC-800 and I used it for many years as a visual astronomer. I saw many sights (grey smudges) and spent many nights under the cold (sometimes extremely cold) skies. However, an 8" SCT is an amazing piece of equipment, especially when you put those funny things called eyepieces up for sale. You replace them with this thing called a one-shot colour camera and then thanks to the power of software (SharpCap) you can see amazing colours, details and even fainter objects. Some call this magic, some call it electronically assisted astronomy (EAA). Other, more cynical individuals call it Astrophotography lite! Whatever it is, it is amazing as is an 8 inch SCT.

Have fun.

Pete
EAA Observing from the Isle of Wight, UK
Telescope: Celestron CPC800, NexStar 4se - Camera: Altair Astro Hypercam 294c PRO, ZWO ASI 533MM
Software: CPWI, SharpCap, Stellarium, TheSky, SkyChart, Starry Night 8, Aladin, ASTAP and AstroPlanner.
YouTube 'EAA with an 8-inch SCT' https://www.youtube.com/@Xio2011

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

AstroBee wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:22 pm
Or is this not accurate?
As JT already mentioned. Forget about seeing color in non-stellar objects. That's not going to happen. I looked at M42, the Orion nebula which is extremely bright through a very fast 24" Dob once. It was breathtakingly bright, but no color. Even using averted-imagination!
What JT and AstroBee say with a minor modification. For the most parts you will not see colors in galaxies and nebulae in armature scopes. However, there are a few targets where you could see shades of color. They will not be as rich as in photos. More like a tint. I saw pale green or blue in a few planetary nebulae and on one night when the viewing conditions were perfect I saw the Ring Nebulae in color from blue in the middle to yellow and red on side, but again they were very pale colors.

Stars is different story, many have bright and beautiful colors and a good quality scope can enhance those colors.

Generally speaking larger aperture will show relatively more color than smaller scopes, but majority of targets will have no color.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:36 am I saw pale green or blue in a few planetary nebulae
Wait, I said planetary nebulas didn't count!
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

JayTee wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:55 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:36 am I saw pale green or blue in a few planetary nebulae
Wait, I said planetary nebulas didn't count!
Yes, you did, sorry. :) But why they don't count?

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:58 pm But why they don't count
Because those few planetary nebula that exhibit color are small, dense, and bright enough to excite the rods in your eyeballs. These very few planetary nebula are the exception not the rule. When we say "we see color" it makes it sound like it's across the board and that's just not true

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

AstroBee wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:22 pm
Or is this not accurate?
The Orange C8's, as others have mentioned, are mostly a nostalgia thing with older astronomers. Optically, they are ok but not outstanding and any modern version will be equivalent or better in the case of the Edge 8" version. When they were first released in the 1970's, they were somewhat revolutionary and offered aperture portability never seen before. They were relatively expensive. I seem to remember that average wages in the mid-70's in Australia were around A$6000 per annum. The C8 cost about $2000 in Australian dollars or 1/3 of that annual income. These days, you can buy a Mewlon 300 for 1/3 of Australian average annual earnings.

Do not "forget about seeing colour in non-stellar objects." But do not expect to see saturated colours pop out everytime you point the telescope.

Colour is visible in a couple of the brighter nebulae (Orion, Tarantula) however it is not just about the telescope aperture. I find that transparency is very important to the detection of colour. I have seen hints of deep rusty red along with faint blues in the Orion nebula in scopes as small as a Mewlon 180C, 10" Newt and my 18" Newt. But it is never obvious and not always visible. Some nights, I have seen no colour in M42, other nights I can see colour.

These nights when colour was visible are always nights of exceptional transparency and of course I have a very dark sky. Not an observation for suburban backyards. These observations of colour have been confirmed by more than one observer present at the time. We're not talking super saturated astrophoto colour, rather a dull faint rusty red subdued blues but colour nonetheless and on each occasion, confirmed by one or more other observers. I also agree that colours, blues and greens are visible in many planetary nebulae.

cheers
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)