Weird arcs in images

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Weird arcs in images

Post by Star Dad »

Hello all -
I am getting the following image upon stacking and stretching them. This is from an ASI294MC-cooled. This started happening about six weeks ago - (yeah, I'm just finding time to process them... been a very busy fall season).

I do recall that several months ago (I *really* wish I had put it in my log book) the camera fell off it's table while I was taking darks. I did not see any damage whatsoever - not even a ding. I'm not sure but I thought it was in the summer...long before these "arcs" started showing up. Besides should not (more recent) darks be dealing with background noise?
I'm completely stumped.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Weird arcs in images

Post by JayTee »

Wow, I'm sorry, but I don't have any words for you. I'm just as stumped as you are, and I own the ASI 294MC lPro Camera, and I've never seen anything like this in any of my images.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Wave Catcher »

This usually occurs when images don’t have enough discrete colors or amplitude steps. For instance, if a typical image only had 16 colors, similar gradient steps would be seen in images of the sky or horizon. I can’t answer specifically for your particular camera, but it is probably a setting somewhere that got changed.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Can you make the stacked but unprocessed image available on a shared drive like one drive or drop box and I'll take a look and see if I can work out what's going on. Also provide details of the capture, number duration of images, how stacked, etc.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

The Wave Catcher wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:35 am This usually occurs when images don’t have enough discrete colors or amplitude steps. For instance, if a typical image only had 16 colors, similar gradient steps would be seen in images of the sky or horizon. I can’t answer specifically for your particular camera, but it is probably a setting somewhere that got changed.
That's what I'm thinking too. It looks like an 8bit image from a 14bit original. Somewhere along the line in your processing you have downsampled the image to 8bit.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

The Wave Catcher wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:35 am This usually occurs when images don’t have enough discrete colors or amplitude steps. For instance, if a typical image only had 16 colors, similar gradient steps would be seen in images of the sky or horizon. I can’t answer specifically for your particular camera, but it is probably a setting somewhere that got changed.
OMG! It's solved. I awoke this morning at 2:30AM and could not get back to sleep thinking about this. I got on my computer and went to the directory where the above image was stacked. Deep Sky Stacker (DSS) creates an autosave file every time you stack. I selected one and did a quick process in Star Tools.... vivid colors - no arcs. I tried another image with similar results. I went to the "final" directory - where I save the stacked image as a .FIT and reprocessed it... arcs! OK, so WTF - it had to be in DSS. I pulled up an autosave file of NGC1333 and went to save picture. Now I started doing this under a previous version (updated in September) because DSS would save the file as a TIFF... and I need a FIT to work in Star Tools. When the file save requester popped up I noticed that there were several versions of Fits to choose from.... I never paid any attention to that because in the previous version of DSS I just typed in the name.FITS and everything was fine. The new DSS defaulted to 16 bit NOT 32 bit... and voila' that was the problem. So It wasn't the camera (YAY!) it was a minor change in DSS that tripped me up. I hope this lesson learned is helpful to someone in the future. I now have several months of image to post process (It's not that many - maybe 15 or so). But I am soooo happy. Thank you Wave Catcher for getting me to look in a direction I never even thought of. And to the others who responded after Wave - I just saw your posts and you also had the right idea. I LOVE this community :dance:

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Great, lets see it then

🤣
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Ok, I'll resize it and post the Rosette Nebula which I just processed from November.... but I do 90% of my work on Linux and the image is on the windows side of things. And lately I've been having arguments with the windows boot loader which insists on being THE boot loader, so I've had to separate my dual boot system. I'll post a pic tomorrow as I'm running out of time for today.