NexStar 8SE recomendations for accessories

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Gos United States of America
Articles: 0

NexStar 8SE recomendations for accessories

Post by Gos »

Greetings,
We just unpacked a NexStar 8SE for my wife's Christmas gift.
I have two basic questions for the learned. We're in Western Washington State, USA which means humid nights.

Which is better for keeping the dew off an 8" lens, a dew protector tube, or heater ring?

We both wear glasses. Any suggestions on how to extend the eye relief? The unit came with 25mm Plossl eye piece.

I also bought, I mean Santa brought a power converter so we won't burn up batteries.

Any other items for a beginner would be appreciated. Up until this time any scope I've looked through was either a Leupold Spotting scope, or binoculars.
Merry Christmas,
Gos
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Re: NexStar 8SE recomendations for accessories

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello and welcome,

To your first question a dewshield will be good to start with.
Typically eyeglass wearers will need eyepieces with 15mm+ of eye relief
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Gordon Online United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1051

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Just a couple more things to add. Be sure to spend some time indoors setting up and running the telescope to get used to how it works. Trying that for the first time, at night can be a real challenge!

Also, I find it much easier to just remove my glasses and view without them. It's just easier for me.

Enjoy the new scope and let us know how it goes.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

gregl

Post by gregl »

I"ve had an 8SE for perhaps 10 years and have done several modifications to it. As to your first question, I use a dew shield and home-made heater straps when needed (which is rare here in California's dry Central Valley). I made a controller box for the heater straps (one strap each for the OTA, the finder and the eyepiece area) using PWM dimmers from Ebay which sell for perhaps $6 or less. The straps were made from nichrome wire, the length and wire size calculated using online sources (just Google "nichrome wire calculations"). I use a 12-volt 18 amp hour battery as I'm always observing away from AC power. I use that for the mount as well. While the mount can take AA batteries, they don't last long.

I agree with Gordon; if you don't have bad astigmatism you might get away without glasses.

Another significant change I made was to adapt the mount to a heavier tripod, an old Celestron one someone gave me. It's about twice as heavy as the SE tripod and the difference is significant. Much less vibration and wiggle. This would be something to think about later, finding a tripod locally or perhaps Ebay.

I've done lots of other little things including a mount for a GLP (green laser pointer), a RACI (finder), and a modified focusing knob for better focus control. If you remind me sometime the first week of January I can put some of this up on a file server I have access to but can't get to right now.

Something you'll want to do right away is to check on the site below for instructions on how to align the scope. The instructions that come with the scope may not have the best info (but it's been 10 years on mine so let's hope they rewrote them since). I like the two-star alignment using Polaris and another star in the east at least 90 degrees from Polaris. And the direction of your final movements is important. You'll also want to run the backlash correction routine for better accuracy.

I'd also suggest you check out Mike Swanson's Nexstar site. It has lots of good info on these scopes: https://www.nexstarsite.com
JayTee United States of America
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

When I lived in Portland, on some nights, I needed both the dew shield and the heater strip, but normally the dew shield should be enough. One of the flexible kind that velcros together that are widely available work great.

I also wear eyeglasses but I take mine off to use the telescope it's just so much easier. I'm lucky that in my right eye I don't have astigmatism so that's the eye that gets used.

One accessory you may want to consider in a future purchase would be the .63 focal reducer. It allows your scope to see a bigger chunk of sky and for large objects that makes viewing a lot more enjoyable.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome to TSS Gos! You have made a right choice. 8SE is a great scope.

Dew shield is a must. Not just for dew control but also to shield from stray light. You may add heater on top if nessesary.

Observing chair. Your back will thank for that. I have been using this one for years.

I also observe with glasses and to do that you should aim for EPs with 15 to 20mm eye relive. Good news is that 8" SCT been slow scope is not too fussy about EPs, even simple designs work well.

25mm Plossl which comes with scope is of good quality. Eye relief maybe a bit tight for glasses but I still use it on occasion.

32mm PLossl is good to have since it provides maximum field of view for 1.25" diagonal which comes with your scope.

https://agenaastro.com/gso-32mm-plossl-eyepiece.html

You will also want to get a couple of EPs in shorter focal length range. Celestron X-Cel LX will perform nicely in your scope. I would suggest 18mm and 12mm.

https://agenaastro.com/eyepieces/all-ey ... el_lx.html
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Richard South Africa

Post by Richard »

Well all the 'cheap' refractors have a dew shield so I always wonder why the 'expensive ' SCT dont yes it needs one , it has a piece of glass in front which will dew up and a mak has a thick piece so even worse , If anyone knows why I would love to know
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
billywjackson United States of America

Post by billywjackson »

gregl wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:42 am I...
I'd also suggest you check out Mike Swanson's Nexstar site. It has lots of good info on these scopes: https://www.nexstarsite.com
There are a lot of good suggestions here. I really second this one from Greg1. I bought the Nexstar Users Guide II that Swanson wrote and has links for on his page. It helped me immensely, clearing up problems I had that weren't clear to me from the manual.
I bought three things that helped me a great deal. The first one you already have, the ac adapter. The batteries in the mount don't last long enough to really be useful.
Second was the book I mentioned.
Third was a reticle eyepiece to help me get more accurate alignments.

It's a great scope, enjoy!
sdbodin Online United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Originally from the 'wet' side and used a dew shield exclusively on my C8. If it got too wet for that, probably not a good night for viewing anyway. BTW save yourself some bucks and go to the craft store and get some light weight card stock and make your own dew shield, still use mine made back in the mid '80s and made one for my BigDog about fifteen years back and it still works fine.

I also wear glasses and have minor astigmatism, just ditch them for viewing, never seen a problem with getting a sharp view. After all the scope is just one big eyeglass anyway.

Welcome,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Telescope viewing chair. I can't believe I waited till I was 55 to buy one of these. Single best investment for visual observing. Height adjusts to a comfortable setting depending on where the scope is pointing.
Every star party I've been to I get more comments about the chair than I do the telescope. Which is kinda annoying!
https://www.amazon.com/Starbound-Astron ... e904010ad0
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com