TSS Monthly DSO Challenge for December 2023

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Monthly DSO Challenge for December 2023

Post by kt4hx »

Here we are with the last month of the year, and full of holiday cheer! We are also celebrating the richness of the late autumn/early winter sky for us northerners. Our southern friends also share in this richness as they move from spring into summer. For all of us, we look forward to enjoying some time with mighty Orion, but for the Challenge, we will wait until January to delve into its riches. In the meantime, for the northerners among us, we shall visit the celestial giraffe, Camelopardalis, for a fine asterism and open cluster duo. Then we finish out in Perseus in pursuit of an emission nebula, and finally a brighter galaxy.

Heading down south we will visit Fornax to seek out a bright asterism, a brighter member of the Fornax Galaxy Cluster and a fine planetary nebula. We wind up this month’s Challenge in Eridanus for another brighter galaxy that is a curious object indeed. I hope you all enjoy this month’s foray into the depths of the universe.

Northern Celestial Hemisphere

NGC 1502 (Camelopardalis, open cluster, mag=6.9, size=20.0’, class=II3p):
Kemble 1 (Camelopardalis, asterism, mag brightest star=5.0, size~3.0° long):

You get a twofer with NGC 1502. This cluster sits near the end of the famous asterism, Kemble 1, more familiarly known as Kemble’s Cascade. In fact, the asterism is more prominent in wide field views, appearing as a very noticeable string of stars flowing or cascading northwest to southeast. The southeastern end of the flowing stream of stars forks, with the northern branch leading directly to NGC 1502. The cluster presents an illusory pooling of stars at the end of the stream-like flow of the asterism. They make a curious and beautiful pairing that truly catches the eye.

NGC 1502 is not a huge, showy cluster on the order of some in Cassiopeia or Perseus. However, it is no slouch either. For double star enthusiasts, there are a couple of multiple stars residing in the heart of the cluster’s field as well, STF-484 and STF-485.I find the cluster a bright and well detached clump of 20 to 30 brighter stars ranging from 5th to 10th magnitude. The number one will perceive depends of course upon your sky quality and aperture. Discovered in 1787 by William Herschel, he noted it as "a cluster of stars, pretty rich and considerably compressed.”

The asterism which seems to feed into the cluster, like a brook into a pool, is lengthy and prominent through a wide-field eyepiece or binoculars. Its brightest star is mag 5.0 HD 24479 not quite halfway from the northwestern end of the line toward the southeast. The asterism splits at its southern end with a flow of stars going east to the cluster, and a second dribble of suns to the south. Overall it is nearly 3° in length and makes a fine view under a cool November sky. This particular stellar grouping was named after Father Lucian Kemble by Walter Scott Houston, the original author of the Deep Sky Wonders in Sky &Telescope. Kemble wrote a letter to Houston about the asterism in which he described it appearing in 7x35 binoculars as "a beautiful cascade of faint stars tumbling from the northwest down to the open cluster NGC 1502.” In honor of Father Kemble he titled the group as Kemble’s Cascade in one of his Deep Sky Wonders columns published in 1980.

NGC 1491 (Perseus, emission nebula, mag=unk, size=9.0’x6.0’):
This nebula is located in the northeastern portion of Perseus, just over 1° NNW of mag 4.3 Lambda Persei. While it’s angular size is typically listed as large as around 9’x6’, its visual extent will likely be smaller. Imagers of course can often draw out more of its dimmer outer portions. The complex is illuminated by the mag 11.2 star BD +50 00886. Visually, it responds very nicely to either a narrow-band nebula filter or an O-III filter. As with most nebulae of this type, using a filter will definitely benefit the observer by boosting its contrast against the background sky.

I’ve seen various nicknames attributed to this nebula, including the Fossil Footprint, Little Pacman and the Wild Boar Nebula. It was discovered by William Herschel in 1790 and in his shorthand notation he flagged it as “vB” (very Bright). Though its visual magnitude is not listed anywhere that I’ve checked, it is considered one of the brighter members of the emission nebula category. It is a particularly a fine target for imagers to see how much detail they can tease out of its structure. So check it out and see how much of its glow you can pick up across the 10,000 light year distance between it and us here on our home planet.

NGC 1023 (Perseus, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=9.4, size=7.4’x2.5’, SBr=12.3):
Remaining in Perseus, but this time moving to the southwestern portion near the border with Andromeda, we now pursue this barred lenticular galaxy. In terms of galaxies, this one is fairly bright, with a higher surface brightness. Appearing as a thin oval glow, it appears pretty evenly illuminated across its disk. Discovered in 1786 by William Herschel, he described it as being "extremely bright, much extended, a very bright nucleus.” Fairly large in angular size for a galaxy, it lies about 30 million light years distant, and is the namesake of the NGC 1023 Group, which along with our Local Group, is part of the Local Super Cluster.

This galaxy is also catalogued as Arp 135 and sorted into the section for "Galaxies with Nearby Fragments." The fragment being referred to is actually another galaxy at its eastern tip. Sometimes listed as NGC 1023A, it is more properly catalogued as PGC 10139. This companion galaxy is a real challenge for the keen-eyed observer and makes an interesting add-on target for the imager.

Southern Celestial Hemisphere

Harrington 2 (Fornax, asterism, mag brightest star=5.7, size=53.0’):
This bright grouping lies in the western section of the famous Fornax Galaxy Cluster (Abell S0373). It is named for noted observer and author, Phil Harrington, and is dominated by three unrelated stars that share the same stellar designation, Chi Fornacis. These are Chi1 at mag 6.4, Chi1 at mag 5.7 (brightest star of the group) and Chi3 at mag 6.5. These three stars along with mag 7.2 HD 21852 at the eastern edge of the asterism’s field, form a flattened diamond pattern aligned roughly east-west. In the roughly 53.0’ field, there are about 10 stars of 9th magnitude and brighter, with many more of 10th and dimmer magnitude. But it is the brighter stars that standing out and make this asterism readily apparent.

While heading into the Fornax Galaxy Cluster, take a moment to view this pretty little grouping. A little bonus object within its field is the mag 12.3 lenticular galaxy NGC 1336, which is located about 12.5’ west of Chi2 Fornacis.

NGC 1316 (Fornax, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=8.5, size=11.0’x7.2’, SBr=13.0):
This object is famously known as the radio galaxy Fornax A, and due to its “disturbed” nature it also appears in Dr. Halton Arp’s Catalogue of Peculiar Galaxies as Arp 154. Located almost 1.5° SSW of Chi1 Fornacis, it is the brightest galaxy within the Fornax Cluster. This object was discovered by James Dunlop in 1826 during his sky surveys at Parramatta, New South Wales.

Visually, it presents a somewhat large and bright rounded disk. The observer should note a compact and brighter core region within its envelope as well. Be sure to keep an eye out for magnitude 11.0 barred spiral NGC 1317 immediately north of NGC 1316. This object was also discovered by Dunlop at the same time he discovered its more prominent neighbor. Both are located in the southwestern quadrant of the Fornax Galaxy Cluster. In fact, one should take some time farming the cluster’s field to see just how many of its members they can discern.

NGC 1360 (Fornax, planetary nebula, mag=9.4, size=7.7’x5.3’, SBr=13.2):
Staying in Fornax, we now shift our attention nearly 10° north of the heart of the Fornax Cluster toward the border with Eridanus. This planetary nebula has a long and winding discovery trail. It was first seen in 1859 by Lewis Swift who did not report it until 1885. It was independently discovered in 1861 by Wilhelm Temple (who likewise failed to report the object until years later), in 1868 by August Winnecke and finally in 1879 by Eugen Block. Because both Swift and Temple delayed notification of their discovered, Winnecke was originally credited, but this was eventually amended.

Located just over 5.5° northeast of mag 3.8 Alpha Fornacis, this large oval disk is nicknamed the “Robin’s Egg Nebula” for its noticeably shape and pale bluish tint. Typical of planetary nebulae, it responds well to both a narrow-band nebula filter and particularly to an O-III line filter. Fairly bright for a PN, with increasing aperture and magnification, it can reveal some uneven brightness in the area surrounding the very noticeable mag 11.3 central star. It is a truly curious object and the best non-galactic treat within the celestial furnace.

NGC 1291 (Eridanus, barred lenticular ring galaxy, mag=8.5, size=11.0’x9.5’, SBr=13.3):
We now turn SSW about 4° from NGC 1316, which brings us into the realm of Eridanus the river. This bright galaxy is located close to the middle of a very large triangle of three brighter stars formed by mag 2.9 Theta Eridani, mag 4.3 HD 20794 and mag 4.6 HD 22663. Originally discovered by James Dunlop in 1826, but his position was off by about 4’ to the ESE. In 1836 John Herschel, during his southern sky scans from South Africa also observed this object and it later found its way into the NGC as NGC 1269. However, Dunlop is rightfully credited with discovery.

This beautiful object contains a prominent bar, as well as an outer ring, which is prominent in deep images and appears quite ethereal. Visually in amateur scopes one should be able to pick out the prominent central bar region as a broad and elongated brightness within a very dim and diffuse outer halo. Look for the mag 12.5 foreground star less than 2’ north of the center of the galactic disk, which Dunlop noted in his discovery notes. Lying at only about 33 MLY distant, it is relatively close to us (in astronomical terms), and was cited as an example of a “transitional galaxy” the Galaxy Evolution Explorer team at NASA in 2007.

There you have it my friends. As always your contributions observing reports, sketches and/or images of any of these objects is encouraged and very welcome. You don’t have to be an expert visual observer, sketcher or imager to post your results. We enjoy everyone sharing of their experiences, as we can all learn from our shared interest and activity in the hobby. So good luck and get on out there under the night sky. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: TSS Monthly DSO Challenge for December 2023

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Since Kemble and 1502 have significance for me I have viewed it many times over the years. :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

December is here and the weather stopped me getting NGC 772 from the November targets!

I did NGC1491 about a year ago because it looked good in Stellerium!

40 x 240 seconds OSC.

Fossil Footprint.jpg

I'll have a go at NGC1502 this year.

Good list, thanks Alan.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:15 am Since Kemble and 1502 have significance for me I have viewed it many times over the years. :)

I think each of us have objects that are special to us, and that duo is certainly a pretty and curious combination.

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:43 pm December is here and the weather stopped me getting NGC 772 from the November targets!

I did NGC1491 about a year ago because it looked good in Stellerium!

40 x 240 seconds OSC.

Fossil Footprint.jpg

I'll have a go at NGC1502 this year.

Good list, thanks Alan.

Graeme

Well you know, you certainly can go after NGC 772 for a while yet, weather permitting of course. :icon-smile:

That said, I appreciate your image of NGC 1491. A nice one Graeme, I truly wish I could see the object to that level of detail!

I look forward to your NGC 1502. You might also want to try a wide view of it and Kemble 1 if that is possible with your kit.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

NGC1502 is a nice open cluster. I observed and outlined it several years before this through a 6-inch refractor. Last night it was nice and clear and cold and I had the opportunity to view it with the new SCT of Public Observatory Rijswijk together with an observing buddy. It was a public night, so visitors come first. Therefore, this is just an impression in between. I did not really have time to sketch.

NGC 1502 lies, as indicated in the first post by @kt4hx , at the end of a nice cascade of stars. On the picture from Stellarium, the big stream starts in the upper left. The stream dries up a bit, but is taken over by a sparkling array of smaller stars, halfway left to the center and down, where it "hits the ground" in NGC1502. In the yellow circle. There is also a small stream coming from the right. The view is an impression as seen with binoculars from a dark location.

Click on the images for a better view.

Kembles Cascade and NGC1502 (Stellarium Image).jpg

The first sketch of NGC1502 is from November 2021 with a 6-inch achromatic from the Bortle 8 location in Schiedam, my hometown. The second is a quick impression through the 41mm Panoptic eyepiece in the new 14-inch Meade LX600 SCT of Rijswijk public observatory in Rijswijk. Also a Bortle 8 location. The second sketch is purely an impression, made at home over a cup of coffee, digitally sketched so in the old analog sketch.

NGC1502 Impression 6 inch nov 2021.jpg
NGC1502 Impression 14inch  dec 2023.jpg

I hope you'll enjoy it!!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:14 pm I look forward to your NGC 1502. You might also want to try a wide view of it and Kemble 1 if that is possible with your kit.

Well I'll be able to capture the cluster but Kemble's Cascade is a bit too wide for me even with the 6.3 field reducer.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 213358.png

I'll definitely be having a go at it with the binoculars though, on the next clear night, whenever that might be!

Graeme

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thank you John. I enjoyed your impressions of NGC 1502 and Kemble's Cascade. For me it does indeed look like a stream of stars pooling up at the bottom in NGC 1502.

Thank you Graeme. Well it was wishful thinking on my part, but I know it can be difficult to capture such a wide field and do it true justice. Nonetheless, I look forward to both your visual impressions through binoculars and your image of the cluster.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I thought I'd add some of my visual experiences with this month's northern objects:

The first two are from a session 7 years ago at our typically Bortle 3 dark site using the 12 inch dob.........

Kemble 1 (Camelopardalis, asterism, mag brightest star=5.0, size~3.0° long):
NGC 1502 (Camelopardalis, open cluster, mag=6.9, size=20.0’, class=II3p):

Moving back into the celestial giraffe I always feel compelled to stop by one a personal favorite – Kemble’s Cascade. This beautiful tumbling waterfall of stars is readily apparent as a very gentle curve of over 20 stars flowing from the northwest to the southeast where it pools up in the open cluster NGC 1502. It is simple, yet quite beautiful pattern. I feel the presence of the cluster at its southeastern terminus lends a particularly attractive appearance to the asterism. I hope everyone will take the time to seek out this bright and pretty grouping, as it will be well worth the effort.

Found at the southeastern tip of Kemble’s Cascade, this cluster adds a sense of completion to the visual presentation as Kemble 1 cascades down like a stellar waterfall, pooling up in the cluster. At 84x, the cluster was a bright and well detached compact pocket of about 25 stars. It was dominated by a brighter line of four pairs, with one pair in particular standing out well from the others. The asterism and cluster are two unrelated objects that dovetail so well together.

NGC 1491 (Perseus, emission nebula, mag=unk, size=9.0’x6.0’):
Continuing my southward trend, I slipped into northern Perseus and settled on mag 1.8 Mirfak (Alpha Persei). From here I turned ENE, star-hopping almost 6.5° to this small H-II region, also known as Sh2-206. Viewing 84x with no filter I was picking up a very subtle rounded hazy glow around an 11th magnitude star. Dropping in the O-III filter (recommended in IDSA) livened things up nicely. The nebula became very bright and obvious, and mostly rounded in shape. The area just north of the star was the brightest section. At 138x it became much more obvious both with and without the filter. I also gave the NPB a try and found the view very similar, though it did seem the O-III was slightly better. The IDSA labels this as the “Fossil Footprint Nebula”, though visually, I did not get that impression. Nonetheless it was quite nice indeed.

The following observation was from our backyard 10 years ago using the 10 inch dob. This was at a time when our area was typically of Bortle 5 quality........

NGC 1023 (Perseus, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=9.4, size=7.4’x2.5’, SBr=12.3):
Moving to Algol (Beta Persei), I star hopped to the west-southwest to the barred lenticular galaxy NGC 1023 (also known as ARP 135). Using 69x it presented an elongated shape with brightening in its core. Viewing with 89x it appeared large with a very bright core. Then at 114x the halo became extended and with averted vision the galaxy appeared quite bright to the eye. Moving up to 142x it became more elongated, at about 3x1. Curiously, it seemed to be just slightly extended and oddly shaped at the eastern end. This area was so faint that I felt I might have been mistaken, and could not account for this at the eyepiece. However, later research revealed a companion, NGC 1023A (or more properly PGC 10139), pinned to the main galaxy’s eastern end. According to the DSO Browser site (now Telescopius), it is magnitude 13.6, with a surface brightness of 13.2. Its presence would seem to account for the extremely dim, odd shape I detected at the eastern end of NGC 1023. I must admit that I am quite surprised to pick this up in the Z10, but am very pleased with the unexpected find.
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

The sky is clear tonight although it's a bit windy, I rolled the roof off and set up for an NGC1502 session. Turns out it was too windy, 15mph to 19mph gusts and I couldn't get a decent image with all the dew shield buffeting. A few of the 10 second focusing and plate solving frames showed the cluster to be a jewel box of stars. Stellerium shows a collection of colours. A decent, longer duration exposure would really sparkle.

I did get to use the NINA manual rotator for the first time to frame the image, a very useful tool. So that's a win! Tomorrow early evening looks good for a few hours, fingers crossed.

Graeme

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Two nights ago I had a forecast for a couple of hours of clear sky then clouds. So I thought I would grab that to run the NINA filter focus offset calculator. My filters are LRGB non parfocal. I worked out the focus offsets manually back in the summer. When the offset calculator finished the sky was still clear so I set up to run a sequence for NGC1502 that I put together earlier in the day. Well I managed just 45 minutes of NGC1502 then when the humidity topped 95% and the dew point came within 1°C of the temperature I parked the telescope and closed the roof. I did some flats and shut everything down. It was good to get the filter focus offsets done. Here's the result, the small stars are all a bit too red, I think as a result of my lack of attention to detail in using the Branford/Cranfield star reduction script but the quality of the data doesn't really warrant spending any more time on it. However, it does show NGC1502 to be a thing of beauty.

NGC1502_01.jpg

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice work @Graeme1858 !
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:52 pm wo nights ago I had a forecast for a couple of hours of clear sky then clouds. So I thought I would grab that to run the NINA filter focus offset calculator. My filters are LRGB non parfocal. I worked out the focus offsets manually back in the summer. When the offset calculator finished the sky was still clear so I set up to run a sequence for NGC1502 that I put together earlier in the day. Well I managed just 45 minutes of NGC1502 then when the humidity topped 95% and the dew point came within 1°C of the temperature I parked the telescope and closed the roof. I did some flats and shut everything down. It was good to get the filter focus offsets done. Here's the result, the small stars are all a bit too red, I think as a result of my lack of attention to detail in using the Branford/Cranfield star reduction script but the quality of the data doesn't really warrant spending any more time on it. However, it does show NGC1502 to be a thing of beauty.

NGC1502_01.jpg
Well done Graeme! You captured the beauty and intrigue of this cluster. I have always liked the little arc of stars above the central clump. It is a curious little cluster with lots of personally and you nailed it my friend!
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Here's NGC1023, the Perseus lenticular galaxy. I captured a few subs at the end of my Carbon star hunt this week. The weather man promised just a couple of hours of clear sky so I took the chance to test the NINA sequence I've recently put together. I only managed 3 x 2L, 1R, 1G, 1B but the blue subs were all victims of cloud induced poor guiding so I cheated with copies of the green subs in the processing! As a result the colours are weird and the stars are bloated as a result of the poor guiding despite the Bill Blanshan Mike Cranfield star reduction Script.

However, the not quite Spiral, not quite Elliptical, lenticular look is evident!

NGC1277.jpg

Good list Alan!

Graeme

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:44 pm Here's NGC1023, the Perseus lenticular galaxy. I captured a few subs at the end of my Carbon star hunt this week. The weather man promised just a couple of hours of clear sky so I took the chance to test the NINA sequence I've recently put together. I only managed 3 x 2L, 1R, 1G, 1B but the blue subs were all victims of cloud induced poor guiding so I cheated with copies of the green subs in the processing! As a result the colours are weird and the stars are bloated as a result of the poor guiding despite the Bill Blanshan Mike Cranfield star reduction Script.

However, the not quite Spiral, not quite Elliptical, lenticular look is evident!

NGC1277.jpg

Good list Alan!

Thank you Graeme. While you may think the colors are weird and yes the stars are a tad bloated, it is still a nice image of a really fine galaxy. I will say, the image faithfully depicts what I see at the dark site. A very bright lens-shaped disk (Lenticular) with an obvious inner lens of increased brightness. Plus you pulled out the subtleness of its irregular satellite galaxy, PGC 10139 (NGC 1023A), at the eastern tip (right in your image), which is also dead on with what I see in the eyepiece. Well done my friend.
Alan