Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Dec 15 Sun

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey all,

Unseasonably warm here; it was 56F (13C) when I got in today at a bit before 2PM and even warmer in the Sun. Clear skies this morning from 4AM onwards. I thought I might get lucky with some Solar with a scope when I got in today, but around noon it starting yucking up.

I took this a bit before noon when I got out of the truck. I saw the contrail heading west, got my phone and pointed it at the Sun. No telescopes/filters/etc here, just an iPhone 12 taking a shot I wish I could've had a scope for and seen the plane coming.

Sun.jpg

I had this happen a number of years ago but with the Moon and a scope. I was sitting outside with my C80 and a DSLR, waiting for a clear few minutes to take some lunar shots. The sky clears, and I see a plane coming up north from lake Ontario. It looked to be set to pass right over the Moon, so I waited with my thumb on the remote shutter... It can and does happen!

Moon_Airplane.jpg

The warm weather has also brought back a reccurence of the Boxelder bugs that were everywhere this summer. This is December 15th in Canada?! For scale, the top piece of wood is 1/4".

bugs2.jpg

That's it for me tonight, been a long week; family and some dinner/beer time now. Clear skies to you all!! :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Dec 15 Sun

Post by messier 111 »

nice grab , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Beautiful pictures Mark!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

Nice you are getting a little Sun and some warm, was warm here but all cloud and rain...

Boxelders too Mark,

Those transits are indeed alot of fun, only one so far for me since I started imaging the Sun and like you I heard the plane coming and waited for it.

Enjoy...
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Specializing in Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering & Visual Observation Since-2020

Solar Imaging Sessions 50 / Solar Observing Sessions 199
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

Here it is Mark,

From Oct 29th of 2022

I was only a month into capturing Solar image data at the time and remember being quite confused on how to process the data into an animation, and it took some tinkering to finally figure it out,

Of course now that I know how it hasent happened since.

Click to Play...
Attachments
2022-10-29-1649_7-Sun_0634.gif
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Specializing in Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering & Visual Observation Since-2020

Solar Imaging Sessions 50 / Solar Observing Sessions 199
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Aaron, that is so cool, what a set of chance shots those were! You should print one of those frames off and frame it :D

I appreciate the share; that's awesome!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A cool image Mark, I like how the contrail from the right is straight and then after hitting the sun it wavers a bit. :)

A great new avatar as well!
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:57 am A cool image Mark, I like how the contrail from the right is straight and then after hitting the sun it wavers a bit. :)

A great new avatar as well!
Thanks on both counts Gabrielle :D

I noticed the contrail wavering too; I'm wondering if it's something to do with the approaching clouds? As for the avatar, that took a bit. A little less scary than my previous one :lol:
xmas.jpg
xmas.jpg (6.92 KiB) Viewed 412 times

All the best,
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Maybe the sunlight was a big more solid at that point? :lol:
Quite an interesting image :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt