Asterisms -- Do You Want To Know Where They All Are?

Post topics on how to set up, EP selection, cold/wet weather outings, gear transportation, target selection etc.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Asterisms -- Do You Want To Know Where They All Are?

Post by JayTee »

I found a download link to the Asterism section of the Deep-Sky Hunters Field Guide. I've always been intrigued by this chapter as an old friend Dana Patchick is responsible for quite a few of the discoveries of these asterisms.

Here is the publicly accessible portion and then below that is the download link for this chapter of the Deep-Sky Hunters Field Guide.

https://vdocuments.mx/dsh-field-guide-p ... tml?page=1

https://vdocuments.mx/download/dsh-fiel ... risms.html

Have fun with this.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Asterisms -- Do You Want To Know Where They All Are?

Post by kt4hx »

Thanks for the links JT. I've had this downloaded for a few years now, and have had some fun with it off and on. Particularly when I was still doing work related travel internationally and could only take smaller apertures with me. The list is quite extensive for sure and while some have been discovered visually, many are found looking at DSS images.

I recall you commenting about your friendship with Dana when I posted a report that had one of his objects from the list. It is unfortunate that many observers ignore asterisms for the most part. I know in some cases its because they are not "official" objects. But in reality there are many that are richer and more attractive than some open clusters. In fact, there are many asterisms in the NGC/IC catalogues because the discovers described them as clusters before we knew about proper motion studies to determine which were indeed bound clusters of stars. But since those objects do have official designations, they are pursued. Many folks miss out on some fine stellar groupings by not looking at lists of asterisms.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Thanks JT! I have scanned the skies many times over the years with rich field telescopes delighting in the asterisms I happened across, but not knowing what they were catalogued as, or for that matter, not even knowing until about 8 years ago that they were even designated as asterisms!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Way cool! I was just wandering around with my 80mm the other night looking at random star fields. I'd guess some of the patterns are on this list. Thanks!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice reference JT! Asterisms are fun and LP-friendly targets, definitely should not be overlooked.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Maybe I don't know what an asterism is, but when searching for Pegasus, Andromeda, Big Dipper, Southern Cross, Teapot, I find nothing.

A spreadsheet that can be sorted on RA and DEC coordinates would be useful. I am curious if my "Coal Scuttle" asterism that I use to eyeball the NCP is part of a known asterism, but searching the table is too much work.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Well, Henk, you have given me an idea for one of my AI expert sons (who are here for Christmas) to render this list into a sortable spreadsheet. I'll let you know what happens.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thanks JT! I'll have to look into some of those if it ever clears...!!

I remember a number of years ago stumbling across the Coathanger asterism. I had no idea of its existence, and was amazed at how much it looked like a coathanger. Then I checked Stellarium and did some looking. Sure enough... :lol:
I've come across a few others, but thanks for the list. I'd be curious too to see what your son can do with it as well!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

JayTee wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:47 pm Well, Henk, you have given me an idea for one of my AI expert sons (who are here for Christmas) to render this list into a sortable spreadsheet. I'll let you know what happens.
The sorting is not too difficult. Copy and paste the table into NotePad, replace "," with ".", replace "AST" with ",", save as .csv. Open in Excel, use "Text to columns" to convert the 2nd column to a text table, format the first 6 columns as numbers. Then you can use Excel to sort on RA and DEC attributes using a first-sort, second sort etcetera column. That way you can find what asterisms are near given coordinates.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

thx for the links .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thefatkitty wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:06 pm Thanks JT! I'll have to look into some of those if it ever clears...!!

I remember a number of years ago stumbling across the Coathanger asterism. I had no idea of its existence, and was amazed at how much it looked like a coathanger. Then I checked Stellarium and did some looking. Sure enough... :lol:
I've come across a few others, but thanks for the list. I'd be curious too to see what your son can do with it as well!

All the best,

Ditto for me. Once I was panning around with 10 x 50 binos and I saw this thing that looked like a coat hanger. I immediately thought "Hey that looks like a coat hanger." And it turns out it was. What I think of as a bigger asterism is the constellation Triangulum, it's always distintive as an isoceles triangle. The Hawaiians called Scorpius Maui's fish hook, which is probably more apt than a scorpion...
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:25 pm
Thefatkitty wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:06 pm Thanks JT! I'll have to look into some of those if it ever clears...!!

All the best,

Ditto for me. Once I was panning around with 10 x 50 binos and I saw this thing that looked like a coat hanger. I immediately thought "Hey that looks like a coat hanger." And it turns out it was. What I think of as a bigger asterism is the constellation Triangulum, it's always distintive as an isoceles triangle. The Hawaiians called Scorpius Maui's fish hook, which is probably more apt than a scorpion...

Indeed, one can look at the main stars of constellations such as Triangulum, Cygnus, Crux, Ursa Major & Minor and Pegasus as an asterism. There are asterisms that are simply known by a nickname. Then there are a great number more known by the name of their discoverer with a number, similar to the Messier list of objects. Then you have a larger majority that are simply known by the catalogue designation of their brightest star. Some are bright and obvious, while many more are moderately to quite dim, and small in angular extent. Many of those discovered while looking at deep sky images can be better fare for larger apertures. They do sort of run the gamut, just like any DSO object category.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:53 am

All the best,

Indeed, one can look at the main stars of constellations such as Triangulum, Cygnus, Crux, Ursa Major & Minor and Pegasus as an asterism. There are asterisms that are simply known by a nickname. Then there are a great number more known by the name of their discoverer with a number, similar to the Messier list of objects. Then you have a larger majority that are simply known by the catalogue designation of their brightest star. Some are bright and obvious, while many more are moderately to quite dim, and small in angular extent. Many of those discovered while looking at deep sky images can be better fare for larger apertures. They do sort of run the gamut, just like any DSO object category.
Also, there is the Corvus Stargate, by Messier 104 the Sombrero Galaxy
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:53 am
kt4hx wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:53 am

Also, there is the Corvus Stargate, by Messier 104 the Sombrero Galaxy

Indeed so, or known by its more formal designation of Pothier 11. In the DSH asterism list this one is listed first by its brightest star HD 109875, and then by its discoverer Pothier as number 11 in his list of asterisms. It does not mention "Stargate." The list stays away from nicknames for asterisms. There are of course many web pages where one can find the more well known ones by their nicknames. Most of the brighter and more obvious ones do have nicknames. But those are only found in the DSH list by the brightest star and a discovered ID if known. Of course they also list position, angular size and constellation. For my use, some years ago, I sorted my copy of the DSH list by constellation, which helped me to organize it better for my purposes.

FYI, the planetarium software, C2A, contains the asterisms list from DSH as well as the one from SAC (Saquaro Astronomy Club). The latter one tends to utilize nicknames more so. Searching in C2A for an asterism can be a little confusing at first, as you have to either put in the brightest star designation from DSH or the nickname for the SAC ones. You cannot put in the discoverer ID from DSH as it doesn't recognize that. But it is nice to have a program that plots the asterisms if one is interested in hunting for them. Myself I have observed over 450 asterisms in the DSH list over the years. The vast majority were seen while I was traveling with smaller scopes. It certainly added a new dynamic to my observing and travels.

C2A can be found here: http://www.astrosurf.com/c2a/english/download.htm
Alan