John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Uranus, Jupiter, Pleiades comparison.

Post by John Baars »

Two planets on offer this time. Uranus doesn't come by very often.
Cold, windy, lots of clouds, also with veils in between. Rainy, snowy, typically November and December weather. Observers must be patient and wait for the sparse good moments. Is is good for let us say 1.5 hours? So out the 102 mm F5 grab-n-go!

At search magnification Uranus hardly distinguishes itself from nearby stars. At higher magnifications, one notices that he is more or less without movement. Only at 140X does one begin to notice that he is not surrounded by an diffraction ring like the point light source of a bright star. Although a star of that brightness hardly shows a diffraction ring anyway. Still, I pressed on to about 200X. Even at 300X nothing extra became noticeable, except that it became fainter and in that relatively smaller aperture it was still difficult to distinguish from a nearby star. It is quite clear that Uranus is a long way from our home.
The "sketch" was made entirely digitally, that is, without the use of pencils. The color is somewhat exaggerated and has nothing to do with the proverbial color aberration of an achromatic.

Uranus December 6 - 2023.jpg

As said earlier the weather wasn't good looking, neither was the seeing or the transparency. I hadn't sketched Jupiter for a long time and knowing the weather in December this could well be the last chance. So I went for it. Pencils out! A magnification of 140X turned out te be the best compromise between seeing, transparency and details. Quite near the maximum of the telescope. The most striking detail, apart from the fidgeting in the belts, is the small dark spot in the NEB, which is really not a shadow of a moon. This detail was also noted elsewhere at the same time in a 16-inch telescope.

Jupiter dec06 2023 werkblad 2.jpg

As with Uranus, I ignored the CA of the F5 refractor in the sketches. On bright Jupiter is was better visible than on fainter Uranus, as to be expected. Never irritating though, at least not in my eyes.

Last but not least a little comparison of two sketches of the Pleiades. One with and one without blue CCD filter at low magnification. A little trick I learned from J.Gardavski, one of the best observers I know. As the nebulae around the Pleiades shine / reflect mainly in blue, a pure blue filter can be used to block out all other colors. So the nebulae become apparent. The difference is best visible while switching between the filter and filterless. Without filter nothing is visible between the Seven Sisters, apart from smaller stars. With the filter the space around the main stars is suddenly filled with a very smooth haze. You wouldn't notice it if you hadn't the comparison possibility. It is that subtle. But quite obvious for an experienced observer. I used one old sketch of M45 to demonstrate the difference.

M45 06 dec 2023 werkblad 01.jpg
M45 06 dec 2023 werkblad 02.jpg

Enjoy!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Uranus, Jupiter, Pleiades comparison.

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Some nice observations and sketches John.
Uranus can be a difficult but rewarding target.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wow, really nice observations and sketches John!

Certainly VROD worthy, congratulations on winning the award for today (12/7/2023)!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Thank you for the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Fun session and nice sketches John! While at 3.8" diameter Uranius disk is within resolution of 100mm aperture, fast achro optics and observing conditions makes it a challenging target. I don't believe I ever tried it with 100mm scope. I should next time. :)

Congrats on the VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Excellent reporting and sketching as always John. Uranus is an interesting object, and I while I have seen it in an 8x50 RACI finder and binoculars, it appears stellar in those instruments. Of course I have seen its greenish disk in the larger scopes as well as its brightest moon Titania, but it reveals little visually. Your sketch of Jupiter is really great, and I like the comparative sketches of M45. Overall a well deserved VROD my friend.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very beautiful sketch, and a very beautiful evening. a very deserved vrod, thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Very nice session, John...and well done sketches! Congrats on your VROD!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Nice report John and very deserving of a VROD. Reading your report raised a couple of questions. You say that the chromatic relation is more visible on Jupiter than Uranus. I wonder if this is because Uranus is more monochromatic than Jupiter that is quite white by comparison.

The lack of a visible disc when observing Uranus also intrigued me. It is usually between 3-5” and should be easily resolved in a 4 inch scope with a theoretical 1.1 arc sec resolution. Seeing conditions must have been truly atrocious.

I really enjoyed reading this report and I love the sketches.

Kind regards

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:49 pm Nice report John and very deserving of a VROD. Reading your report raised a couple of questions. You say that the chromatic relation is more visible on Jupiter than Uranus. I wonder if this is because Uranus is more monochromatic than Jupiter that is quite white by comparison.

The lack of a visible disc when observing Uranus also intrigued me. It is usually between 3-5” and should be easily resolved in a 4 inch scope with a theoretical 1.1 arc sec resolution. Seeing conditions must have been truly atrocious.

I really enjoyed reading this report and I love the sketches.

Kind regards
Thank you Joe for your remarks.
It gives me the opportunity to further explain a few things about the sketches. :D

I briefly put the sketch under a 10X magnifying glass. Uranus is about 3.8 arcseconds in the middle of this month. That's more than three times the telescope's resolving power.
The little star in the sketch is drawn as one white pixel, with a cross of light gray pixels around it. You can think of those as Airy's disk and the diffraction ring. I often add a darker gray cross around it to visually give a better perception of a "star," purely for artistic/visual reasons, that is. No physics but artistic :-)

Star and Uranus 1000% in sketch December 6 2023.jpg

Funny thing is that you can see something of a ring around Uranus. Those are the pixels I made darker, because otherwise Uranus would look too big compared to the star. So the surface of Uranus was seen during the observation. Perhaps my use of language suggested otherwise. I think the surface area of the Airy disc and the planet surface are reasonably well in proportion, when you see them largely magnified? Okay, Uranus should have been a little bigger.... Seeing conditions were not ideal, indeed.

Also nice, while we are at it, is the Chromatic Aberrated image of Jupiter, to the right of the previously posted image. (click on it) The right image is as I actually see it, the left one is my original sketch. You can see that I completely ignore the CA ring in the first sketch. If I didn't, it would take me a lot of sketching time and fiddling in the computer to generate it. Hence I omit it.

Two times Jupiter dec6 2023 without and with CA.jpg

You can see a CA ring around both Uranus and Jupiter. The one of Uranus was created by accident, so I certainly didn't see it that bright.
The one of Jupiter was added on purpose, to show the difference. However, I really saw this ring. I think it is indeed because of the brightness of Jupiter and its polychrome that this ring around Jupiter is so pronounced.

By the way, we are freewheeling now anyway, I think the CA for an F5 system is not too bad. At least not as bad as several reflector-adepts would have us believe. The funny thing is that I don't see less detail than, say, with an expensive filter. Perhaps the contrast seems a little lower for some eyes in the chromatic aberrated picture. What I do remark with this telescope is a slightly bluer image of the planet than in a CA-free telescope. It is not difficult to see it.