Observing Report for 16 November 2023 - smoke gets in your eyes

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 16 November 2023 - smoke gets in your eyes

Post by kt4hx »

It had been nearly a month since I’d been over to the dark site house. I wanted to check on things again, but also waited until the astronomical forecast seemed worth the three hour drive in order to take advantage of the dark rural skies. Watching the forecasts during the week, I finally settled on heading over Thursday (16th) as things seemed to be lining up for above average transparency coupled with average seeing conditions. So I was anticipating some nice galaxy hunting action would ensure during the evening. Now that the clocks have rolled back, astronomical darkness would happen just past 1830 hours, making for a nice early evening session.

Almost as an omen of things to come, my drive did not take three hours, but four. A vehicle fire along the interstate made sure my time was wasted waiting to get past the incident. I passed by a pickup truck that had given up the ghost along the side of the road. Interestingly, the camper it was towing seemed unaffected. Upon arrival I went ahead and put some of my gear out in the usual observing position at the end of the house. The fact that the sky had a nice layer of high thin clouds perturbed me somewhat!

About 1745 hours I used already visible Vega to align the finders (unity and optical) mounted on the 17.5 inch. The sky still looked a little suspicious, but I was willing to give it a chance to clear out. After a bite to eat and a change of clothes adding some layers to fight off the cooling air, I headed out about 1830 hours. Sitting back in my chair and looking around, the sky seemed clear, but it was hardly a thing of beauty. I could barely make out the summer Milky Way band still high in the sky. The glow of lights from town, while always visible was far more pronounced this evening, and the valley seemed to be filled with a haziness that was unexpected. Frankly I was puzzled as to what was going on despite the forecast still showing great conditions. The air was dry, so I did not anticipate a problem with dew, and that turned out to be correct. However, my expectations were no longer high, and in reality, that turned out to be quite correct – unfortunately.

My intent was to do some galaxy farming in Pegasus and Pisces, filling in some gaps in the log book with galaxies either missed or passed over on previous outings over the years. I also wanted to try for a supernova within the galaxy NGC 7625 in Pegasus that is on the fade, and currently listed at mag 15.1. So with some reservation I forged ahead. Here is how my evening transpired.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)
XW 5mm (397x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.1mm exit pupil)
Uranometria All-Sky Edition

SN 2023vyl (Pegasus, supernova in NGC 7625, listed mag=15.1):
By the time it was astronomically dark, I could already tell things were a bit funky up there. But I had wanted to give this supernova a shot nonetheless. I aimed the scope at mag 2.5 Alpha Pegasi (Markab) and did my star hopping thing to the northeast. Almost 4.5° from Markab I located the mag 6.7 field star HD 220091. In the same field of view almost 7’ to the star’s WSW I spotted this previously observed galaxy. The rounded disk of the spiral was small and diffuse, and easily seen though not as bright as I expected at mag 12.1. Studying the galaxy at first 152x and then 199x, I had no sense of the supernova’s presence. The core of the galaxy did exhibit a stellar appearance, but I experienced that during a previous observation seven years ago. Dropping in the 7mm Pentax (283x) I was now getting a fleeting suspicion of tiny diamond southwest of the obvious stellar core. I then moved to 397x and confirmed the presence of a stellar pinprick visible within the diffuse glow of the galactic disk at the correct position relative to the core. Despite the conditions my first target was a success! (New)

NGC 7479 (Pegasus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=10.9, size=4.0’x3.1’, SBr=13.4):
I used this previously observed object to locate another galaxy. Easily found almost 3° south of Markab, it was a pale reminder of its beautiful self under the prevailing conditions. However, it was visible easily at 152x as a dimmer than usual thick diffuse oval disk. While easily seen, it was noticeably less robust visually than is typical of this bright galaxy.

NGC 7495 (Pegasus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.8’x1.6’, SBr=14.0):
After a brief look at NGC 7479, I nudged ESE just over a degree to pick up a 9th mag field star. Just a few arc minutes back to the northwest of the star I picked up this spiral using 152x. However, it was weak visually, presenting a dim and small out of round homogeneous envelope. I noticed a very dim 13.0 just to its north. Taking a look at 199x, it was more apparent but still weaker than I would have expected of a galaxy in this brightness range. (New)

NGC 7437 (Pegasus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.8’x1.8’, SBr=14.3):
I next moved to the southwest of Markab just under 2° where I located this object, sitting between two widely spaced field stars (7th and 9th mag). Picked up using 152x, it was a subtle round disk, small in size. While more apparent at 199x, it remained dim. I noticed it now displayed a broadly brighter core. (New)

NGC 7432 (Pegasus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.6’x1.2’, SBr=13.7):
Nearly 1.5° SSW of the previous object I located a wide pair of field stars (7th and 8th mag) tipped southeast-northwest. This elliptical forms an isosceles triangle with the two stars, lying about 17’ to their northeast. At 152x I found it a small and dime oval disk that was evenly illuminated. Taking a look at 199x, it now displayed a broadly brighter core and was a little more apparent to the eye. (New)

NGC 7674 (Pegasus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.1’x1.0’, SBr=13.0):
This galaxy is the brightest member of the compact galaxy group Hickson 96. Its field was located just north of a mag 7.9 field star, just over 8.5° southeast of Markab. At 152x it was merely suspected as a small diffuse dust bunny. Its presence in the field was confirmed at 199x, appearing as a very diffuse round little disk. None of the other members of Hickson 96 were picked up however. (New)

NGC 100 (Pisces, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=4.2’x0.5’, SBr=13.8):
I now moved over into Pisces, about 3° northeast of mag 2.8 Gamma Pegasi (Algenib ). Just northwest of an 8th mag field star I weakly picked up this spiral using 152x. It presented a small, homogeneous thin glow. This was likely just the core area of the galaxy. Using 199x it was more apparent, but still weak and smoothly illuminated. (New)

NGC 63 (Pisces, spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=1.7’x1.2’, SBr=12.2):
On the way to the next object I stopped by this one that was previously observed seven years ago. Actually it and the next object were off of opposite ends of a skinny triangle of field stars (6th and 7th mag). Located northwest of the triangle, it was easily seen with 152x, revealing a small and subtly bright oval disk that was evenly illuminated. With 199x it was obvious within the field of view, remaining homogeneous in appearance.

NGC 95 (Pisces, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.5’x1.1’, SBr=12.8):
To the southeast of the aforementioned triangle of stars I next picked up this small and dim diffuse oval disk using 152x. It was not difficult, just more subdued than anticipated under the prevailing conditions. Using 199x it was more apparent, and now revealed an intermittent stellar core. I noted a very dim 14th mag field star just off its southeastern edge. (New)

Checking the time, it was after 2000 hours and admittedly I was frustrated. Besides the galaxies I did observe, I had a few that I simply did not pick up in the poor transparency. Under normal conditions the brightness level of the galaxies I was in pursuit of would not be an issue. So I decided to wrap it up by visiting a pair galaxies in Aries that I’ve observed a few times. They would really give me a sense of just how bad conditions were in terms of transparency.

NGC 772 (Aries, spiral galaxy, mag=10.3, size=7.2’x4.3’, SBr=13.8):
NGC 770 (Aries, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=12.4):

This pair of galaxies is located just under 1.5° ESE of the multiple star Gamma Arietis (Mesarthim). NGC 772, also known as Arp 78, was easily seen, though noticeably weaker than under usual observing conditions. At 152x and 199x it appeared as a very diffuse and smoothly illuminated oval disk, somewhat large in visual angular extent. NGC 770, while seen at 152x, was pretty subdued. It presented a small diffuse oval glow. While more apparent at 199x, it remained weak visually. Typically here in this scope, they are quite a striking pair. But the really bad conditions certainly took their toll on this nice pair of galaxies.

It was by this time approaching 2030 hours and I simply had enough of the poor sky. I noticed that the Milky Way through Cygnus tried on occasion to become more visible, but it was a poor effort, as the transparency remained in the toilet. So I called it a night, accepting my very modest success and headed in to warm up, have a snack and call Mary, and watch some college basketball.

While sitting in my recliner I checked the conditions yet again and the sites insisted I had very good quality skies – I beg to differ! As I spoke with Mary I told her of my sky woes and mentioned that it looked similarly, though not quite as abysmal, to how the sky was in July when we were here under the impact of the Canadian fires. She asked about the possibility of smoke and that is when the light came on! I checked the smoke forecast, something I had not done previously, and voila!

There is a substantial fire about 52 miles to our south, which at this point is about 3,600 acres. With the winds blowing from the south during the day, that smoke worked its way up to our area. When I checked the Astrospheric smoke layer it displayed a wedge of smokiness in our immediate area – so there was my answer. While the conditions did indeed exist for good transparency and seeing, the added variable of the localized smoke negated that. Unfortunately the site did not take that into account in terms of the forecast. Rather one must specifically go look at the smoke forecast (a separate layer in the application). So while I now understood why things were not as they should have been, it didn’t take away the disappointment. Next time I plan to come over, I will most assuredly check the smoke layer on Astrospheric and the national smoke map to make certain things will be as anticipated! Anyway, we all live and learn. So keeping looking up and hopefully you will not have smoke in your eyes while doing so! :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 16 November 2023 - smoke gets in your eyes

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your excellent report!
I particulary liked the hunt for SN2023vyl..very realistically described. A magnitude listed star of 15.1!! Well done!
And of course the "discovery"of the fires south of you, a drama for the persons involved, but a relieve for your observing spot.
We are never to old to learn!
Great report, recommended for VROD.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

nice report indeed , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Alan and some exciting observations in Pegasus, Pisces, and Aries. Too bad about the smoke, but being in California until 2022 and then even here we've had some smokey days and eves. Congrats on the VROD for the day.

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=32677
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:41 am Thanks for your excellent report!
I particulary liked the hunt for SN2023vyl..very realistically described. A magnitude listed star of 15.1!! Well done!
And of course the "discovery"of the fires south of you, a drama for the persons involved, but a relieve for your observing spot.
We are never to old to learn!
Great report, recommended for VROD.

Thank you John. I am hopeful that the fire situation will get resolved sooner rather than later. Interestingly, the next morning when I went out to load up the truck for the return trip I could smell the smoke, which I did not the evening before. Then as I headed east and got into the Shenandoah Valley around the city of Staunton, Virginia the haziness was prevalent and when I stopped at a store the smell of smoke in the air was very intense. So definitely impactful in that area.

messier 111 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:04 pm nice report indeed , thx .

Thank you Jean-Yves.

helicon wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:45 pm Great report Alan and some exciting observations in Pegasus, Pisces, and Aries. Too bad about the smoke, but being in California until 2022 and then even here we've had some smokey days and eves. Congrats on the VROD for the day.

Thank you Michael. I know you folks out west have to deal with the smoke frequently. This past summer was the first time I recall it being such a problem here as a result of the extensive fires in western Canada and U.S. This was the first time that I've experienced a more localized problem, but we have been very dry of late, so I guess its not surprising.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Smoke is no fun and always snick up on you. Still you have managed a few new galaxies and faint SN. Well done Alan and congrats on the VROD!

Did you have a chance to try SkySafari in the field?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:17 pm Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John.

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:50 pm Smoke is no fun and always snick up on you. Still you have managed a few new galaxies and faint SN. Well done Alan and congrats on the VROD!

Did you have a chance to try SkySafari in the field?

Thank you Andrey. I looked at it briefly on my phone. In this case I used it to look up mags on some galaxies. I did not use the chart yet. I am sort of waiting for when conditions are more normal and I can take some time to use it. Given the conditions my time was compressed so I stuck with the atlas for this outing. I also am looking at getting a small tablet that will give me a larger view but remain easily handheld as well. I find the phone just a little too small for my vision.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

The fire I mentioned earlier continues to grow, with the smoke being pushed to the northeastern U.S. Here is a news story about it:

https://www.wdbj7.com/2023/11/19/unheal ... continues/
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice reporting, Alan. Congrats on your VROD.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:35 am Nice reporting, Alan. Congrats on your VROD.

Dave

Thank you Dave. I will be glad when the smoke moves on over there!
Alan

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Alan,

Just now seeing your observation report for 11/16. Congratulations on the VROD!

Sorry to hear that smoke literally got in your way. I'm sure that your were quite disappointed.

Isn't it amazing that sometimes our better halves can point out basic things that we don't see? I know for me, if I can't find something in the refrigerator or pantry, my wife will point it out and it is usually right in front of me. Awesome stuff! It takes two!

Well, your report is wonderful to read and even though you had to dig in, you still managed the SN and several new targets. Well done!

Thanks for the nice read as I fed my pups outside in the dark as I do every morning (except in the rain).

Take care my friend and enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:07 pm Hi Alan,

Just now seeing your observation report for 11/16. Congratulations on the VROD!

Sorry to hear that smoke literally got in your way. I'm sure that your were quite disappointed.

Isn't it amazing that sometimes our better halves can point out basic things that we don't see? I know for me, if I can't find something in the refrigerator or pantry, my wife will point it out and it is usually right in front of me. Awesome stuff! It takes two!

Well, your report is wonderful to read and even though you had to dig in, you still managed the SN and several new targets. Well done!

Thanks for the nice read as I fed my pups outside in the dark as I do every morning (except in the rain).

Take care my friend and enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Thank you Jim. Yes its funny, back in the summer I was used to all the talk about the Canadian smoke so I routinely checked the smoke forecast on Astrospheric. Since that hasn't been a thing for a while, I simply didn't think of it as I've never had smoke issues there previous to this year. Mary is quite sharp, and when I tell her stuff, she often sees things that I simply do not consider. I can say with all certainty if I didn't have her in my life, I would quite literally be wandering around lost in the dark! :lol:

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving as well Jim. Now with our new grandson Lucas, it will indeed be a special one for us. :icon-smile:
Alan