Observing Report for 19 October 2023 - a relaxing pre-dawn look around

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 19 October 2023 - a relaxing pre-dawn look around

Post by kt4hx »

After my previous evening’s galaxy hunt in Pegasus and Pisces, I woke up around 0545 hours and looked out the front window. The valley was filled with low lying fog along the Jackson River across the road from house and I could see the neighbor’s cows standing along the fence next to the highway. They were merely illusive silhouettes in the shadowy pre-dawn dark. I noticed Venus glaringly bright in the east just below Regulus. On a whim, I threw on a couple of layers as the outside temperatures were around 35° F (1.7° C) and headed into the garage with my trusty S&T Pocket Sky Atlas. I grabbed the Zhumell Z10 dob and observing chair, moved them out into my normal observing spot quickly. Lastly I grabbed one eyepiece and headed out for a quick pre-dawn look around.

The cool air certainly woke me up fully and just sitting back in my chair I could tell that despite the low level fog in the valley, the sky had improved from the previous evening. The transparency was pretty nice. I could easily see the dim path of the winter Milky Way arcing across the sky from Perseus down through southern Gemini and northern Orion into Monoceros and Puppis. While faint, it was clearly evident as a beautiful ghostly band. After admiring this view for a bit, I turned my attention to Venus, which was glaringly bright in the east. I sat at the Z10 and aimed it to the “morning star” and began a very quick and very informal outing before I packed things up and headed home.

(Equipment used)

10 inch f/4.9 dob
Ethos 13mm (96x, 1.0° TFOV, 2.6mm exit pupil)

Venus (Leo, planet, mag= -4.5, size=25.3’, illumination=48.1%):
Finding Venus in the eyepiece was easy after a quick alignment of the finders. Its glare preceded it as it slipped into the field of view. It had been some time since I last looked at Venus, and it was exceedingly bright in the eyepiece at 96x. Its disk was large and just slightly less than halfway illuminated. The disk had a nice half-moon appearance, with its illuminated half have a pale whitish look that seemed almost a little ghostly to the eye, light a brilliant apparition that is there, but very otherworldly. Which of course it is! I found it entrancing and beautiful.

Messier 42 / NGC 1976 (Orion, emission + reflection nebula, mag=4.0, size=1.5°x1.0°):
Messier 43 / NGC 1982 (Orion, emission nebula, mag=7.0, size=20.0’x15.0’):

I next aimed the scope at the Orion Nebula complex. I could detect its presence with the naked eye so finding it was easy. Scooping it up in the Z10 at 96x, its structural elements were quite fantastic. The bright central concentration around the Trapezium cluster gave way to diaphanous tendrils of delicate nebulosity as the eye moved outward. The feathered fingers of haziness went in many directions and at times, to my eye, looked like the wings of some wispy and ghostly creature frozen in time. The compact brightness of Messier 43 was very apparent just north of the main body of the complex, and the gap between them was quite obvious. The entire nebula structure over-spilled the 1° true field of view, and left an indelible impression in my mind’s eye.

NGC 1977 (Orion, emission+reflection nebula, mag=7.0, size=20.0’x10.0’):
The so-called “running man nebula” north of the main Orion Nebula complex was very obvious at 96x. I could see two distinct clumps of nebulosity; both oriented roughly east-west. The glow was uneven in illumination along its major axis, as one might expect. The separation between the two portions was clearly defined and the nebula was dotted with blue-white stars of the embedded cluster, OCL 525.1.

NGC 1980 (Orion, open cluster + emission nebula, mag=2.5, size=14.0’x14.0’, class=III3mn):
This can be a tricky object visually. Easily seen south of the Orion Nebula complex, the view is dominated by bright Iota Orionis. The cluster, also known as Collinder 72 is surrounded by a dim, likely HII region that can impart a glow to the field. However, bright Iota (Nair al Saif) does impart a noticeable glare in the eyepiece which may sometimes making identification of the nebulosity challenging.

NGC 2024 (Orion, emission nebula, mag=unk, size=30.0’x30.0’):
Sighting the scope on mag 1.8 Zeta Orionis (Alnitak), I easily picked up the famous “Flame Nebula” using 96x. Though easy to see it was of low surface brightness, and fairly large in visible size. It consisted of a pair of glows separated by a darker lane. The visible portions seemed fairly smooth illuminated. I find it a pretty and intriguing object.

Messier 78 / NGC 2068 (Orion, reflection nebula, mag=8.0, size=8.0’x6.0’):
About 2.5° northeast of Alnitak I located the brightest reflection nebula in the sky. At 96x in the 10 inch, it presented a somewhat bright and somewhat large boxy glowing cloud, with the dominant stars involved within looking like a pair of headlights through the fog. This is a fairly common description used by observers. I have also likened it a pair of piercing eyes peering from a ghostly apparition. It can be a bit of an eerie object at times, but an enjoyable one.

Messier 41 / NGC 2287 (Canis Major, open cluster, mag=4.5, size=39.0’, class= II3m):
I now turned my gaze toward Sirius, brilliantly glaring at me from the south. I shifted my focus south of the star and could make out the diffuse glow of this fine cluster with the naked eye. Aiming the scope at its dim glow, it exploded into a dizzying array of stars at 96x. I saw several stars of 6th to 8th mag that stand out in the central region, with countless dimmer stars infusing the field with their shimmering presence. This gave the cluster a little bit of an illusory layered appearance. I gave up counting stars when I reached 50. It is truly an amazing object that is one of my personal favorites.

Messier 35 / NGC 2168 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=5.1, size=25.0’, class= III2m):
NGC 2158 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=8.6, size=5.0’, class= II3r):

This duo is another of my personal favorites. At 96x they presented a very obvious contrast. M35 appearing bright, large and rich in stellar points, while NGC 2158 about 27’ to the southwest, was obvious but small and more diffuse in appearance. At higher magnification or in the 17.5 inch NGC 2158 is an amazingly beautiful object in its own right, but is always overshadowed by the preeminence of stately M35 just to its northeast. Add the fact that M35 can also be naked eye visible, it is understandable that is draws much attention from observers.

Messier 44 / NGC 2632 (Cancer, open cluster, mag=3.1, size=1.2°, class= II2m):
The infamous “Beehive”, also known as the “Praesepe” (Latin for manger or crib), is one of the most observed objects in the sky. I would have fared better had I brought out the 21mm Ethos with its 1.7° TFOV in the 10 inch. In this case with the 13mm the cluster exceeded my view so its beauty was lost because it was not framed well. But then I expected this, and only stopped by because it was a very apparent naked eye object. In reality, the cluster was better presented in the 8x50 RACI optical finder. This is an amazing object in binoculars or wide field, low power telescopes.

Messier 67 / NGC 2682 (Cancer, open cluster, mag=6.9, size=25.0’, class= II2m):
My final object this morning was the other Messier cluster in the celestial crab. No slouch at all, this pretty cluster was rich and starry at 96x in the 10 inch. Again I gave up counting when I hit 50 stars. It was framed nicely in the field of view and presented a beautiful bounty of stars dotting the field. Its rich star concentration seemed slightly elongated in the east-west direction, which gave it a curious out of round appearance. This was another stunning view and a nice one with which to conclude my morning observing before heading home.

It was now about 0630 hours and the sky was getting brighter by this time as the Sun was making its way upward below the ridgeline on the other side of the valley. The fog was also rising by this time and Venus and many of the stars were not sporting a glow around them as the fog was refracting their light. So I moved the scope and chair back to the garage, put the eyepiece back into the case and took the PSA inside. I then began the process of packing up my stuff and putting it in the truck. I was ready to roll out about 0800 hours and bid the dark site house goodbye for this time around.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
“Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Observing Report for 19 October 2023 - a relaxing pre-dawn look around

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A very nice start to the day Alan.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: ↑Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:19 pm A very nice start to the day Alan.

Thank you Gabrielle. Sometimes those by the seat of the pants moments can be very relaxing and enriching. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
“Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice morning session with winter sky favorites, Alan. It takes better sky to see winter than summer Milky Way. Does not happen often to me, so every time is special.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: ↑Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:43 pm Nice morning session with winter sky favorites, Alan. It takes better sky to see winter than summer Milky Way. Does not happen often to me, so every time is special.

Thank you Andrey. Agree with you totally. The winter MW band is much more difficult to see clearly, and on those times when it is visible, you know the conditions are pretty good.
Alan

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I really liked this report from your session, the part of the sky that I look at most often.
really can't wait to see m42 and the greater region, thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

A nice pre-winter look at winter-objects. Those clear pre-dawn sessions are special, as if nature is holding his breath before sun comes up. Very nice!
Recommended for a VROD!
Thanks for your report!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

messier 111 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:35 pm I really liked this report from your session, the part of the sky that I look at most often.
really can't wait to see m42 and the greater region, thx.

Thank you Jean-Yves. It certainly is a special part of the sky. The good thing is we get to see it every year! :icon-smile:

John Baars wrote: ↑Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:14 am A nice pre-winter look at winter-objects. Those clear pre-dawn sessions are special, as if nature is holding his breath before sun comes up. Very nice!
Recommended for a VROD!
Thanks for your report!

Thank you John. I was amazed at the clarity of the sky right at that moment. Particularly after the humidity just a few hours earlier that had made the sky soft. It had been a long time since I'd observed at that hour, and I agree, it was special.
Alan

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

My favorite time to observe! Transparency wasn't so great today though. :confusion-shrug:
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

pakarinen wrote: ↑Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:09 pm My favorite time to observe! Transparency wasn't so great today though. :confusion-shrug:

Thanks Olen. Yeah, it can be a crap shoot for certain!
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Alan - the descriptions are right on and that of 35/NGC 2158 is spectacular. Nice session and another VROD for you as nominated by your peers!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: ↑Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:57 pm Great report Alan - the descriptions are right on and that of 35/NGC 2158 is spectacular. Nice session and another VROD for you as nominated by your peers!

Thank you Michael. Your kind comments are truly appreciated.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on your VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: ↑Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:50 am Congratulations on your VROD!

Thank you John.
Alan

SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

Thanks, Alan. Always enjoy the read when you post reports. - my notes on M78 are very similar to yours.
As to the beehive, I spend more time with the RACI than the EP - the same with other "spacious" open clusters. Time to bring out the binoculars.
Best, SKE
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

SKEtrip wrote: ↑Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:19 am Thanks, Alan. Always enjoy the read when you post reports. - my notes on M78 are very similar to yours.
As to the beehive, I spend more time with the RACI than the EP - the same with other "spacious" open clusters. Time to bring out the binoculars.
Best, SKE

Thank you Steve, appreciate the comments. And, its been quite a while, so very happy to see you stopping by!
Alan

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Great report Alan, congratulations on the well deserved VROD! đź‘Ź
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Ylem wrote: ↑Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:58 am Great report Alan, congratulations on the well deserved VROD! 👏

Thank you Jeff!
Alan