Trying to figure out camera specs

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Kilohertz Canada
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Trying to figure out camera specs

Post by Kilohertz »

Hi all,

I am starting to assemble my first "modern" (non film) telescope and am wondering about frame rate and such. I have a machine vision camera which has a 5MP CCD which is capable of 4 fps at full res and 7fps fastest. I have read in various tutorials that 50fps would be satisfactory.

Just curious why such a high fps is required if we are making 30s - 10 minute or more exposures?

Thanks!
:sprefac: Explore Scientific ED80 refractor, Sky-Watcher 200P 8" Dobsonian, Meade 856 w/853 mount and lots of eyepieces, Meade 4550 Newtonian, Sky-Watcher NEQ-3 PRO Hot Rodded with bearings and a whole mess of cameras, lenses, accessories, adapters and 2 cats. :flags-canada:
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Trying to figure out camera specs

Post by sdbodin »

None for long exposure imaging. But in planetary astrophotography it is important and 50fps is middle of the road to the best out there, not me, I struggle to get 10-20fps, but then again planets are not my passion.

BTW, MP's are of little importance either, pixel size and frame dimensions are of greater concern, first defines your resolution in arc-seconds/pixel, and the second defines what will fit in the frame.

However, there are sooo many other factors that it almost boggles the mind when first getting into imaging.

Good luck,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

G'day kilohertz, I think this is your camera correct?

https://www.adept.net.au/cameras/avt/oscar_f510.shtml

Info says it does support region of interest, which is a crop framing option that boost frame rate, that is the ideal setting to use when imaging planets, max fps is 24 at 320x240, depending on your magnification the 640*480 at 13 fps might be a better setting for frame larger planets like jupiter, 15-20 fps is very doable to produce an OK image, it's best to have the highest frame rate possible, especially if you have turbulent air in your viewing conditions. There's little data on the supported exposure settings and quantum efficiency or if the camera is ascom compatible...

Essentially you want to record planets ie make a video clip/movie and imaging deep sky objects like nebula is kind of like using film taking long exposures both these type of imaging can be adjusted with your camera settings on your f510 camera
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

It would be a good idea to read this article first. It gives a lot of info for you to get a beginning idea of what you'll need for the arena you choose - nightscape or planetary/lunar or deep sky.

app.php/article/choosing-the-ideal-setu ... -journey-2

Also, high frame rates for planetary imaging take advantage of a phenomenon called "lucky imaging". The above article explains it.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Kilohertz Canada
Moon Ambassador

Post by Kilohertz »

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Yes, I have both the Oscar f510 and a Mightex C030-U which I found out has a rolling shutter, which I read is not ideal for AP.

I'll read the article and continue learning, thanks for the help. PS, just realized I've read that article but a few more times won't hurt.

The first piece of the puzzle is on its way here, a Skywatcher NEQ-3 with Synscan. I'm planning to start with either my Nikon D200 or Lumix G7, guessing the Lumix would be the best choice. I have all of my Nikon film gear including a plethora of top line lenses which should work for my initial experiments. I also have the Pentax Takumar 500mm and 1000mm lenses but are non APO but may be fun to play with.

I also will try the Oscar so I can get that working and ready for the t-scope arrival, whatever that may be. I'm currently considering a nice ED80 with a few accessories which are included.

cheers
:sprefac: Explore Scientific ED80 refractor, Sky-Watcher 200P 8" Dobsonian, Meade 856 w/853 mount and lots of eyepieces, Meade 4550 Newtonian, Sky-Watcher NEQ-3 PRO Hot Rodded with bearings and a whole mess of cameras, lenses, accessories, adapters and 2 cats. :flags-canada:
Kilohertz Canada
Moon Ambassador

Post by Kilohertz »

sdbodin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:00 am However, there are sooo many other factors that it almost boggles the mind when first getting into imaging.
And that is what I am trying to get a handle on, steep learning curve but for me, that's part of the fun.

Thanks!