has anyone used this battery before?

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

BLUETTI EB3A Portable Power Station | 600W 268Wh

https://www.bluettipower.ca/products/bl ... 600w-268wh

I would like to use it with my eq6r pro.
thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: has anyone used this battery before?

Post by Thefatkitty »

Non mon ami, I have not, thought I would like to! That looks like a great product :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
JSBach1801 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

Post by JSBach1801 »

I have seen mostly positive reviews of BLUETTI, but no first hand experience myself. I have an ANKER in the same power range/energy range. The LiFePO₄ batteries are great. My rule of thumb on batteries like this is take the manufacturer's rating and reduce it to 85%, then base my decision to buy off of that. It's like the stated mpg on a new car. You'll never quite get that level of performance. If it turns out 85% is too conservative, then so much the better.
Lyle In Utah

Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar 73 III APO, ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: Sony a7IV Mirrorless, ZWO ASI120MM-MINI
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35i
Control: ASIAIR Plus
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I see it is only 12Ah.
realistically that would give you approximately 9 hours drawing 1A when warm outside.
For a lead acid battery (50% draw) total your amp needs, add how many hours for a average session than multiply by 2.
That is the size of battery you should look for.
For lithium batteries (75% draw) do the same but remember that they will discharge faster below 0°
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

Amongst the posted FAQs, The Cold Temp Protection might impact you the most in the Great White North:
Temperature ranges for EB3A are:
Charge: 0-40℃ (32-104℉);
Discharge: -20-40℃ (-4-104℉);
Storage: -10-45℃ (14-113°F).
Technically, it can power electrical devices in sub-zero temperatures, but please avoid charging it.

No direct mention whether it has a Thermal Cut-out at -20*C...
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A good reminder, I forgot about use in cold.
Even on a lithium motocycle battery when around 0°C you have to turn the lights on for at least a minute before starting it to get the ions excited.
Suddenly charging lithium at 0° or below can cause the battery to catch fire which can cause a explosion.

One extra thing is to check ad see if the 12Ah is the actual or equivalent capacity.
Since lithium provides steady power longer they sometimes play with the maths to up the capacity so a 3Ah battery may be considered a equivalent of a 9Ah just because it has 30%-40% more draw capability.

Very good batteries as long as you mind the proper care of them.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Jean-Yves,

I think you should go to your local Canadian Tire store. I know they will have many more options for batteries that you could use to run your gear. Just look for batteries that are rated at 17 Ah or higher. A 30 Ah battery will last all weekend.

For that matter, so would Walmart.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

For multi-purpose use the Bluetti seem a reasonable purchase.
If only for powering astro gear or the occasional jump start of your vehicle, likely better choices available.
Gabrielle
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I will have to second Jay Tee's suggestion of Canadian Tire . If you don't need AC you are paying more for that option . I powered my HEQ6 for years off of a less expensive 12V booster battery from CTC .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:13 am Non mon ami, I have not, thought I would like to! That looks like a great product :D
JSBach1801 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:25 am I have seen mostly positive reviews of BLUETTI, but no first hand experience myself. I have an ANKER in the same power range/energy range. The LiFePO₄ batteries are great. My rule of thumb on batteries like this is take the manufacturer's rating and reduce it to 85%, then base my decision to buy off of that. It's like the stated mpg on a new car. You'll never quite get that level of performance. If it turns out 85% is too conservative, then so much the better.
Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:11 pm I see it is only 12Ah.
realistically that would give you approximately 9 hours drawing 1A when warm outside.
For a lead acid battery (50% draw) total your amp needs, add how many hours for a average session than multiply by 2.
That is the size of battery you should look for.
For lithium batteries (75% draw) do the same but remember that they will discharge faster below 0°
seigell wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:58 pm Amongst the posted FAQs, The Cold Temp Protection might impact you the most in the Great White North:
Temperature ranges for EB3A are:
Charge: 0-40℃ (32-104℉);
Discharge: -20-40℃ (-4-104℉);
Storage: -10-45℃ (14-113°F).
Technically, it can power electrical devices in sub-zero temperatures, but please avoid charging it.

No direct mention whether it has a Thermal Cut-out at -20*C...
JayTee wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:53 pm Jean-Yves,

I think you should go to your local Canadian Tire store. I know they will have many more options for batteries that you could use to run your gear. Just look for batteries that are rated at 17 Ah or higher. A 30 Ah battery will last all weekend.

For that matter, so would Walmart.
Solsearcher wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:56 pm I will have to second Jay Tee's suggestion of Canadian Tire . If you don't need AC you are paying more for that option . I powered my HEQ6 for years off of a less expensive 12V booster battery from CTC .
thank you all for your support,
after carefully reading all your answers.
I come to the conclusion that I will do astronomy with only my 85 mm in the winter, with my CG4 manually.

I'm still going to buy the battery because I have credit that I have to use anyway. It can be used in the event of an electrical outage at home or a breakdown with the car.

I'm going to keep my 125mm and my new mount warm in the winter as soon as the temperature drops below freezing.

once again thank you for your help which is very much appreciated.
I will report on the battery later.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
JSBach1801 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

Post by JSBach1801 »

This the battery I use. (Link here) Like I said before, it is a different brand, but similar Watt-hour rating and concept. Just in terms of what it is able to run for me and how long for, this single battery powers my:

-Sky Watcher EQM-35i
-ASIAIR Plus (the computer brain of the system)
-ZWO ASI120MM-MINI guide camera
-2 heating straps on high (for the guide scope and main scope)

My camera is run from its own battery supply (being a mirrorless commercial grade camera). I also will use the battery to charge my tablet (how I interface with the ASIAIR) at least once per evening in the field.

My longest evening imaging was about 7 hours total. I still had just under 40% battery life left. In addition, that particular evening was in in the middle of a Northern Utah winter and it dipped down to at least 15 F (-10 C) that night. the battery sat out in the cold the whole time. I hadn't noticed any degradation of its performance.

The power ratings on most gear shows you max power draw needed, not the average. For example, on the Sky-Watcher site, your EQ6 mount says 12 Volts at 4 amps. That is 48 Watts of power draw. (Same as the specs on my EQM-35) If it drew 48 Watts continuously, my battery would be completely discharged in six hours. However, that 48 Watts is going to be max power draw, so maybe slewing at top speed under load, but most of the time it is just slowly tracking which requires much less power, giving you longer life.

Once you get your BLUETTI in, do some testing with your gear. I bet it will surprise you.
Lyle In Utah

Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar 73 III APO, ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: Sony a7IV Mirrorless, ZWO ASI120MM-MINI
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35i
Control: ASIAIR Plus