I need creat a new Accessory Tray

Discuss Celestron mounts.
Ward Brazil
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

I need creat a new Accessory Tray

Post by Ward »

Hi
I have a Celestron Advanced GT, but it doesn't have the accessory tray, there is no possibility of buying it in Brazil, as it can only be found abroad. I intend to create one using sheet steel, but I needed all the measurements of the accessory tray to be able to create a replica. If anyone has the same model and can take the measurements for me or a document/image that contains the measurements, I would be very grateful.

Edward Townsend
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: I need creat a new Accessory Tray

Post by JayTee »

I have one that attaches to my Celestron AVX mount. They appear to be identical. Let me see what I can do.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SparWeb Canada
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

I have one of those, too.

This post has me thinking that I would love to make a custom tray for my AVX, starting with a design like this but providing extra room for other eyepieces, and places to stow the lenscap(s), etc. Now the wheels are turning in my head and I might start making my own version.

I'll be away for a week chasing an eclipse, but when I get back, I'll try to circle back to this thread to see if you and JayTee are still working on this.
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Many people make larger trays for the ASGT/ AVX mounts as they are not very useful.
Making one from wood is quite common.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Ward Brazil
Earth Ambassador

Post by Ward »

JayTee wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:59 pm I have one that attaches to my Celestron AVX mount. They appear to be identical. Let me see what I can do.

Cheers,

Can you take some measurements for me?
Edward Townsend
Ward Brazil
Earth Ambassador

Post by Ward »

SparWeb wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:34 am I have one of those, too.

This post has me thinking that I would love to make a custom tray for my AVX, starting with a design like this but providing extra room for other eyepieces, and places to stow the lenscap(s), etc. Now the wheels are turning in my head and I might start making my own version.

I'll be away for a week chasing an eclipse, but when I get back, I'll try to circle back to this thread to see if you and JayTee are still working on this.

How was the eclipse hunt?

Good idea, I'll adapt it to place the camera
Edward Townsend
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

this tray looks almost the same as the eq6 mount, if you're going to make one, as lady frak said maybe make it bigger, you can make the overall circle all the way to the edge of the 3 wedge slots for the tripod ,should house alot more eyepieces , i can give you dimensions tomorow for the eq6 version if you need it .

eyepeice plate.png
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

SparWeb Canada
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

That's close to what I was thinking, Yobbo.
The truth will be in the measurements.
If making a new tray, the old EP holes don't have to remain in the same place. Moving them around makes it possible to choose new slot/cup/hole arrangements.
Meanwhile it still needs to be sturdy enough to hold the tripod legs apart.
I'm not likely to reproduce the ribs on the bottom, and instead just make it with a thicker plate.

...Eclipse details coming soon... (thanks for asking, @Ward)
Steven Fahey
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
SparWeb Canada
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

I've been working on my tray ideas. If anyone has other ideas they will be welcome!
Note that once I'm able to make a tray for myself, I can make 2 or more - each customized to the type of astronomy I'll be doing. I can picture a tray that has a cut-out for my solar filter, for example. I also forgot in this picture, but a slot for a Bahtinov mask would be helpful.

Here's what it looks like so far:
EP_Tray.JPG
Steven Fahey
SparWeb Canada
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Ward wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:53 pm Hi
I have a Celestron Advanced GT, but it doesn't have the accessory tray, there is no possibility of buying it in Brazil, as it can only be found abroad. I intend to create one using sheet steel, but I needed all the measurements of the accessory tray to be able to create a replica. If anyone has the same model and can take the measurements for me or a document/image that contains the measurements, I would be very grateful.
@Ward
Since I started by taking the measurements of the original tray, I have the answer for you: this is drawn to scale, with a scale marker for either inch or centimeter measurement to make sure it is to scale when you print it. To make it fit on an 8x11 page I omitted 2 of the arms. They are 60 degrees apart so you can easily reproduce them when you lay it out on the sheet metal.
Scope_Spreader_Tray.pdf
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Steven Fahey