Summer-ring M57

Let's see your sketches!
Forum rules
"We love seeing your work and welcome any and all sketches on this forum, but please note whether your sketch is a through-the-eyepiece sketch or your rendition from an existing image / painting."
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Summer-ring M57

Post by John Baars »

M 57.
It was the first deepsky object I ever found with my first purchased 60mm refractor in urban light pollution, some 40 years ago. After quite a few attempts. Fairly small field of view and a star atlas that left more to guess than to find.. (Norton's from early last century) Always kept a warm place in my heart.
M57 in Norton's (2).jpg

This month I spotted him several times. After all, it was fairly cloud-free last week. In the course of a few cloud-free days, you can see that due to the increased smog blanket, the transparency of the sky decreases considerably. A quiet atmosphere, that is. Good for planets. For deepsky, that filth and fog in the air is a lot less fun.

The first sighting this month was with a 140 mm OMC140, a Maksutov. That was the best. The star of magnitude 13 next to the ring then becomes almost immediately visible. It is clear that it is lighter inside the nebula than outside it. The ellipse shape is obvious. On several (other) occasions I have the idea that I still see "something" with averted vision on the other side of the nebula. That turns out to be an even fainter asterisk (just close to the ring).
With larger instruments, of course, this becomes easilly visible. I never saw color. The central star? That was in the early nineties in Rijswijk with a C14, also during a transparent night in August.

With the 120 mm refractor I got more or less the same idea as with the OMC140. The DGM NPB filter picked it up surprisingly nicely, although the conditions had deteriorated slightly and such a filter on M57 at least does not have much effect.

The 102mm grab-n-go achromat also did surprisingly nicely last night, although the conditions were another step down. With great difficulty I detected "something" next to the nebula, our star of magnitude 13 of course. A flash twice in a minute, not enough for a full-fledged observation, but given that I know it's there, I saw it anyway. Perhaps auto-suggestion. Again, the filter showed the ring well, slightly better than without it. My UHC filter, on the other hand, is a little too punishing for this small telescope under these circumstances.

Click on the image for a better view. Main sketch was made at the OMC140. For the final positions of the tiny stars I peeked in Stellarium though.. :whistle:

M57 2023 Final.jpg

Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Summer-ring M57

Post by helicon »

A fabulous sketch John through the 140mm Mak. You have certainly captured the appearance at the eyepiece. Thank you also for the detailed reporting on the perimeter stars that were flashing in and out during moments of better seeing. With regard to the center star, sad to say I have never seen it, even through my Dobs but wonderful that you earlier were able to view it through a C14. Congratulations on winning the VROD for Sept. 11th, 2023.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great sketch John. Congrats on the well-deserved VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your comments and the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Thanks for the great sketch and congratulations on the VRAD John! Your sketch is just like I see it too.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Beautiful sketch John!
Congratulations on the well deserved VROD!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a good read John.

M57 was my first deep sky astrophoto and although it was a rubbish photo, I was very proud of it! So, I too have a soft spot for it!

Congratulations on the VROD.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
mariosi Cyprus
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mariosi »

Great work! Congratulations on the VROD.