T minus 1 month and counting...

Discuss solar related topics.
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

T minus 1 month and counting...

Post by AstroBee »

Today starts my countdown for the October 14th Annular eclipse that will be visible for many of us here in the states. My plans are to travel approximately 4 hours north of my home in Las Vegas to be on the centerline for the eclipse. While annular eclipses are not nearly as exciting as total eclipses, it's a great time to practice for the upcoming total eclipse on April 8th, 2024. Even if you are not directly in the path of annularity, a partial eclipse will be visible for a wide swath of the country.
I spent today testing hardware and making sure I'm completely ready for the eclipse on Oct. 14th. My plans are to shoot it with my Lunt 80mm Double Stacked Ha scope using my ZWO1600mm camera and also with my Explore Scientific ED152 and a White-Light filter with my 2600mc camera. Sunday (weather permitting) I plan to set everything up in my yard and do a full run to make sure my NUC can handle downloading files from both cameras. I'll be running two instances of SharpCapPro for the captures. If the NUC can't handle it, my backup plan is to run the Lunt directly to my laptop and have my other scope record to the NUC onboard the mount.
Here's a sequence I composited together from the May 2012 annular eclipse that took a very similar path about 3 hours north of our home. This was shot with a Canon 600mm telephoto lens and Canon 5D MarkII. You'll notice I did not change my exposure during the sequence so it ended up getting a bit darker as the Sun was setting when this eclipse took place. In fact, in the final frame you may notice a tiny chunk of the sun missing from the moon but also the horizon taking a larger chunk out at the bottom. October's eclipse will begin in the early morning and end near noon so I expect the problem to be reversed for this eclipse. I'm hoping I remember to adjust exposures...
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: T minus 1 month and counting...

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice composite Greg!

Fingers crossed for clear skies! We will travel for the total eclipse next year, so for this one we will just watch partial from our home location.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 593

TSS Awards Badges

Re: T minus 1 month and counting...

Post by helicon »

I am going to be just outside of Amarillo, TX for totality. Just hope it's clear!!!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N