A recent MONDonian paper which is doing the rounds.

Discuss Astrophysics.
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

A recent MONDonian paper which is doing the rounds.

Post by Gmetric »

This is a video in which Dr Becky discusses the merits of a recently published paper that postulates that their analysis of the wide binary star GAIA data proves beyond all reasonable doubt (that's what 10 Sigma means) that they have found the smoking gun for MOND. 10 Sigma :clap: :roll:

If you are interested in the AQUAL version of MOND, in which AQUAL stands for A QUAdratic Lagrangian, see here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AQUAL. Basically, the original MOND theory fails to ensure the conservation of momentum, energy and angular momentum at certain limits. AQUAL replaces the Poisson equation in MOND with a Lagrangian to preserve these quantities. AQUAL fails to do away with the need for DM in clusters of galaxies, same as MOND. Since it is essentially nonrelativistic, AQUAL cannot address several key subjects in the relativistic regime either. For example, gravitational lensing, cosmological evolution and the growth of structure, to name a few.

PS There is a relativistic version of AQUAL called RAQUAL (no, I'm not joking), which attempts to correct AQUAL in the relativistic regime. It fails, too. So we have RAQUAL to correct AQUAL to correct MOND, in which all have fudge factors to correct for each other :pray:

Here is Dr. Becky on the subject.

Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: A recent MONDonian paper which is doing the rounds.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Albert wins again!
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Bow and tremble before Dr. Becky! :grin:

Wonder what Dr. H will have to say even though I much prefer Dr. Becky's vids.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

10-sigma for that data, baloney. There must be something very wrong with their model, or they have no clue about statistics. Then later on, Bayesian estimation is presented as some miraculous method - in reality, if a problem is too hard to solve with classical statistics you resort to Bayesian statistics which makes everything easy. The parameter is now a random variable so you can apply the conditional probability rule to derive results without even thinking about it. The prior probability is kludged in to complete the story. Not saying that it's wrong but that is a big reason why Bayesian statistics are so popular. Nothing mystical about it.

I didn't know that dark matter theory has been accepted since the 60s and 70s. I always thought it was awaiting acceptance until particle physicists actually detect dark matter. Until then, alternative gravity theories should still be on the table.

Your post explains more than what I got from the video Arry, thanks for that background.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:58 pm 10-sigma for that data, baloney. There must be something very wrong with their model, or they have no clue about statistics. Then later on, Bayesian estimation is presented as some miraculous method - in reality, if a problem is too hard to solve with classical statistics you resort to Bayesian statistics which makes everything easy. The parameter is now a random variable so you can apply the conditional probability rule to derive results without even thinking about it. The prior probability is kludged in to complete the story. Not saying that it's wrong but that is a big reason why Bayesian statistics are so popular. Nothing mystical about it.
Well said! :)
SkyHiker wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:58 pm Your post explains more than what I got from the video Arry, thanks for that background.
Thank you and my pleasure, glad to have been of some assistance. :)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:53 am Albert wins again!
Another trophy for the shelf full of them :)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:30 pm Bow and tremble before Dr. Becky! :grin:

Wonder what Dr. H will have to say even though I much prefer Dr. Becky's vids.
LOL, how could we tremble before Dr. Becky? She is just so full of enthusiasm and so likeable. :)

I wonder too; it'd be an interesting debate for sure.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

Thanks for the link, Arry and your and SkyHiker's comments. I do enjoy Dr. Becky. Her bloopers are great.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:58 pm 10-sigma for that data, baloney. There must be something very wrong with their model, or they have no clue about statistics. Then later on, Bayesian estimation is presented as some miraculous method - in reality, if a problem is too hard to solve with classical statistics you resort to Bayesian statistics which makes everything easy. The parameter is now a random variable so you can apply the conditional probability rule to derive results without even thinking about it. The prior probability is kludged in to complete the story. Not saying that it's wrong but that is a big reason why Bayesian statistics are so popular. Nothing mystical about it.

I didn't know that dark matter theory has been accepted since the 60s and 70s. I always thought it was awaiting acceptance until particle physicists actually detect dark matter. Until then, alternative gravity theories should still be on the table.

Your post explains more than what I got from the video Arry, thanks for that background.
I would characterize it as "accepted" in the sense that additional matter is the simplest explanation for the observed excess gravity. That makes it the most reasonable hypothesis based on the evidence we have. A sound theory really should propose a mechanism and for that, we need evidence of a particle, something we can measure.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)