Utilizing the iOptron AZ Mount Pro for Solar Astronomy

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
PwrHsePro United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Utilizing the iOptron AZ Mount Pro for Solar Astronomy

Post by PwrHsePro »

Hi all!

My primary use for the subject mount that I have just purchased is Solar Outreach. I have not had the opportunity to try it yet, but how do I do the initial set up and auto align during the day? After it does its thing, it is supposed to slew to a bright object for centering. During the day, the only thing would be the sun, but I believe that I read that the Sun is not an option for centering.

Thank you,
Clear Skies,
and Let the Sun Shine In!
Jeff
Lunt 100MT Day/Night scope, 152mm F9 Astrophysics Star Fire, 11" Celestron Edge SCT, 152mm Explore Scientific David Levy Comet Hunter, 80mm Explore Scientific Carbon Fibre Triplet, Orion XX12i Dob, Two AstroScans and two 65mm Russian TAL Alcor's for fun, ZWO Seestar S-50 on the way.

10 Micron GM1000hps, iOptron AZ Pro, Explore Scientific Twilight 2, and vintage Astrophysics mounts

31mm and 2mm-4mm (zoom) Nagler, 21mm 13mm 8mm 4.7mm Ethos... 2X and 4X Powermates, Paracor 2, Baader Zoom, ZWO ADC, Baader Silver Sidal Diagonal

Various SBIG and ZWO Cameras
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Utilizing the iOptron AZ Mount Pro for Solar Astronomy

Post by JayTee »

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will come along shortly who can answer your question. Good luck.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1046

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Hi Jeff! Welcome to TSS.

I don’t have experience with that mount, but I did have Meade ETX which was alt/az.
I assume you have solar telescope or the appropriate solar filter. You should be able to just select an object that is currently above the horizon and let it slew to the general area, then accept it. Then slew to the sun and using the buttons on the controller to center it. That should be good enough to track for a while.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by smp »

Hi Jeff,

Welcome here to the Forum! I see that Gordon has already given you great advice.

I used to have an iOptron AzMount Pro, and I used it for Solar Astronomy.

Assuming that you have either a Solar scope, or a telescope with Solar filter attached, simply go through the normal initialization for the AzMount Pro. When it points to the bright object for centering, just accept it however many times you need to without doing any adjustment. When the initialization finishes, select you first object to view - The Sun should be available to choose. Depending on how close you are, it will probably take a bit of fiddling to get on the Sun, as with any scope & mount combination. Once you are on the Sun, then you can select the "Sync on Object" command, and you should be good to go.

If you have more questions, I'll answer as best as I can.

Good luck!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA); Vespera II (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
PwrHsePro United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by PwrHsePro »

smp wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:00 pm Hi Jeff,

Welcome here to the Forum! I see that Gordon has already given you great advice.

I used to have an iOptron AzMount Pro, and I used it for Solar Astronomy.

Assuming that you have either a Solar scope, or a telescope with Solar filter attached, simply go through the normal initialization for the AzMount Pro. When it points to the bright object for centering, just accept it however many times you need to without doing any adjustment. When the initialization finishes, select you first object to view - The Sun should be available to choose. Depending on how close you are, it will probably take a bit of fiddling to get on the Sun, as with any scope & mount combination. Once you are on the Sun, then you can select the "Sync on Object" command, and you should be good to go.

If you have more questions, I'll answer as best as I can.

Good luck!

smp

Yes, thank you both...

Sounds good! This little mount sure will be much easier for outreach than my 10 Micron!
Lunt 100MT Day/Night scope, 152mm F9 Astrophysics Star Fire, 11" Celestron Edge SCT, 152mm Explore Scientific David Levy Comet Hunter, 80mm Explore Scientific Carbon Fibre Triplet, Orion XX12i Dob, Two AstroScans and two 65mm Russian TAL Alcor's for fun, ZWO Seestar S-50 on the way.

10 Micron GM1000hps, iOptron AZ Pro, Explore Scientific Twilight 2, and vintage Astrophysics mounts

31mm and 2mm-4mm (zoom) Nagler, 21mm 13mm 8mm 4.7mm Ethos... 2X and 4X Powermates, Paracor 2, Baader Zoom, ZWO ADC, Baader Silver Sidal Diagonal

Various SBIG and ZWO Cameras
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1046

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Be sure to tell us how your outreach goes!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.