Understanding shooting and processing concepts of beginner Astrophotography

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Understanding shooting and processing concepts of beginner Astrophotography

Post by StarBru »

I'm basically an observer, and wanting to get started in astrophotography by using just a DSLR and tripod. I didn't think it was even possible to use just a DSLR and a tripod to capture the Orion Nebula, but this video hows you how!

This step by step beginning astrophotography tutorial video on YouTube really helped me understand the concepts of the gear, DSLR camera settings, focusing, calibration frames (dark, flat, and bias frames), stacking (Deep Sky Stacker tutorial), and processing (Photoshop tutorial). I'm excited!

Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Understanding shooting and processing concepts of beginner Astrophotography

Post by JayTee »

This guy is fairly easy to follow and gives more insight into PS processing.
https://astrobackyard.com/tutorials/ast ... utorial-1/

Here is another set of tutorials I've used in the past by Doug German.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Thanks JT. I am at work today, but I will take a look at this tonight! I have seen a few of astrobackyard.com's videos, but not this one.
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

StarBru wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:33 pm I'm basically an observer, and wanting to get started in astrophotography by using just a DSLR and tripod. I didn't think it was even possible to use just a DSLR and a tripod to capture the Orion Nebula, but this video hows you how!

This step by step beginning astrophotography tutorial video on YouTube really helped me understand the concepts of the gear, DSLR camera settings, focusing, calibration frames (dark, flat, and bias frames), stacking (Deep Sky Stacker tutorial), and processing (Photoshop tutorial). I'm excited!

Glad you're excited Bruce!

This article from the S@N Magazine might give you some tips: https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astr ... hotography

Good luck!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Thanks for the link to S@N magazine, Graeme. Looks like a great astro mag. I'm soaking all of this into my brain!
Bruce

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Bruce,

Please share your images here as many of us started out shooting with just a dslr on a tripod and had a great time!

I saw the photos of your film cameras on another thread so I know that you know your way around a camera.

The rule of 500 is a great guide, but you might just want to just experiment. Try different exposure lengths, apertures, lenses, and iso settings. You will find out what works for you and your equipment.
Just setting a 10 second delay can really help settle the camera down before an exposure, or you can use an intervalometer. They work well and are cheap.

Focusing will be challenging, but you can get pretty good at zooming in to the stars image on the articulating screen. I'm sure a batinov mask could work on a camera, but I never tried that.

I remember one night while on vacation in Santa Barbara, I just played outside with my Nikon dslr and 18-55mm kit lens shooting the night sky while resting the camera on the porch railing of the rental house. I had a great time! I would use SkySafari on my phone to identify the objects in the photos.
I was using a Nikon D3300 that didn't have wifi, but I had a wifi module installed and would play with the images in PS Express on my iphone. I bugged the hell out of my wife showing her what I had found!

Now that you have read a few things, you ought to try out some shots! Have a blast Bruce!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/