Image Display Has Gone Wonky!

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Image Display Has Gone Wonky!

Post by JayTee »

Two weeks ago I had a major glitch with APT. I started it up, as usual, after my mount and PHD2 were connected. I got to the logo screen then it just went blank and tied up my entire laptop, the blue screen of death. I did a restart and the mount and PHD2 started up normally then I started up APT and got what appeared to be a normal start-up. It quickly became evident that APT had done a master reset to itself! So I set about the task of putting everything back the way it was supposed to be. After I got that done I took a test image and the main screen displayed a very "handicapped" image of what my camera just captured. To say the least, it was very "anemic". Here is a set of images showing a screenshot of what APT is showing me and the actual image itself. They are vastly different. Up to the "glitch," APT displayed the just captured image as it was supposed to look.

These images are 30-second test shots using my ZWO ASI 294 MCPro

The first two are of the Deneb region.
APT Screen Shot Deneb.jpg
Single__Deneb_0001_Bin1x1_15s__60F.jpg

These next two are of M13
M13 APT Screen.jpg
L_M13 APT.jpg

I then substituted in my ZWO ASI120MC and took the same test images with it. I got the same result with APT showing that very anemic image.

Fast forward to now. I have a new computer out here in the Obsy and loaded APT from scratch (newest edition.) I STILL get the same anemic image display from whatever object I shoot in the night sky.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Is it my camera or is it the software? I'm perplexed!

I'm giving NINA a test tonight (I've had clouds for the last 2 weeks). I'll let you know what happens. I use APT because I'm used to it and am very familiar with its use and features.

NINA is still very foreign to me!
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Image Display Has Gone Wonky!

Post by Juno16 »

That really stinks!

I know that you can save a sort of "profile" in APT, so that a restore with custom settings can be used if needed. It has been many years since I use APT, so I really don't remember much about it.

As far as the anemic image display, is there some sort of "autostretch" setting in the Settings or Options that might be "off"?

Good luck JT. I hope that you find N.I.N.A. to your liking. I am very impressed with this software. It has a learning curve and it doesn't work like APT does, but it is oh-so-nice!

Take care and good luck!
Last edited by Juno16 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

Try toggling the Local button on the histogram tool. You can also fiddle with the black and white settings there as well.

The preview screen is an auto stretch that Ivo has said needs work but hasn't made it to the top of the Todo list because it doesn't affect the image capture itself.

I'd screen cap it but all my equipment is packed for my move next Thursday.

Hope this helps,.
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Chris -- Brilliant!

Apparently, I had the "local" button set up differently on the pre-crash version. So far it appears that things may be back to normal.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Glad you got back on track JT.

I moved from APT to NINA when I swapped my 600D for a 294MC. They are both good packages but NINA does more.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/