Discuss Orion telescopes
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Orion Acquires Meade Assets -

Post by helicon »

A part of a settlement in a lawsuit, Orion has acquired the assets of Meade and has won the approval from the Bankruptcy court of Central California. This story originally hit in June of 2021, but I am posting the Sky & Telescope article that came out at that time. (I haven't noticed much discussion of this topic here on TSS). So I thought it might be interesting to the membership of TSS. What are your thoughts on the deal?

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-n ... ses-meade/
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Orion Acquires Meade Assets -

Post by Star Dad »

While I'm happy for Orion, I am still saddened by this utter reliance on China for most everything made in the world. When are companies going to stop paying execs the big bucks and start making product here in the USA (or other countries around the world). When CEOs get paid 400 times their minimum wage workers there is something wrong. 20x is probably closer to what they should be paid. Greed seems to be the be all. Sorry, I'm ranting. I need a drink :)
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

What I noticed is that some of the popular Synta-made products are disappearing from Orion's site. I wonder if Orion by acquiring Meade set itself up for competition with Synta/Celestron/Skywatcher and now can't any longer distribute Synta stuff?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

My question is; if I recall the high end Meade SCTs are still made in Mexico, so can we assume Orion owns that factory now?
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Ylem wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:31 pm My question is; if I recall the high end Meade SCTs are still made in Mexico, so can we assume Orion owns that factory now?
I think I read somewhere that the Mexico factories were closing and that production of these instruments would be moved to Asia. In the old days the Meade factory was in Irvine before they shifted production to Mexico. I still remember Meade's ads in astronomy magazine featuring an astronomer in a white coat standing next to their "research grade" newtonians and dreaming that one day I would own one.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Some of the comments so far seem to me to be sentimental or nationalistic by some of our USA members and that is understandable. I have felt similar twinges when iconic Australian products have been bought out or killed off by foreign companies.....some of them even from the USA.

It sounds to me that Meade Execs were the ones who stuffed up and sent their own company into bankruptcy through inept and illegal management practices.

I am not an SCT guy but if I were, I'd probably lean towards the higher end Chinese made Celestron gear than Meade. My reasons are entirely anecdotal/perceptual but acquired over a long period of time.

I see more high end planetary photography taken with C9.25, C11, C14's than with corresponding Meade's suggesting that the Celestron optics are superior to the Meade optics.
The Celestron Satrizona Hyperstar makes Celestron large SCT's highly flexible platforms with ƒ1.9, ƒ7 and ƒ10 in the one scope supporting a wide range of amateur and semi professional hobby and research pursuits. Many asteroidal occultation observers use Celestron 14's with ƒ1.9 Hyperstar's. Custom adapters can be machined to enable use with a Meade 14" SCT but not off the shelf.

On the Australian second hand market and over the past 10 years, I have seen MUCH more Meade gear for sale than Celestron.
Many factors could contribute to this:-
. Relative quantities of each brand owned in Australia
. Owner Satisfaction
. Product reliability and quality.

When I see Meade stuff advertised, owners often state that this board or that board in the mount has been replaced. I don't know the relative amounts of scopes in the market, maybe Meade represents 80% of the market and that's why they are resold more often. I don't see those board replaced comments with Celestron 2nd hand sales. Given a small enough sample, it could be down to honest vs dishonest vendors. But I have seen this pattern repeated over so many years that my gut says it's not coincidence.

Just my gut feeling as a neutral observer.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Last i heard Orion was re-shoring a lot of Meade products to North America. Translation Meade will have at least some scopes made in Mexico. Somewhere or another I read that the mirror blanks were being made in the USA. Given current conditions in China I wonder if we will see Orion branded reflectors being made in Mexico at some point.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL