Mount failure

Discuss iOptron mounts.
starman Great Britain
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Mount failure

Post by starman »

Hi there every body, thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and reply if you do. A few years ago after saving up for many years i purchased a CGE Pro mount which died on me, Celestron just didnt want to help full stop. So i saved up again but this time i purchased a CEM120ec2, you would not believe it but after a few months it totally died, but this time my new supplier, Rother Valley optics were the total opposite, totally professional, they could not do enough fast enough to try and help me, before I knew it there was a knock on my front door with a brand new mount direct from ioptron Asia, that was last year, would you flipping believe it but this mount is now also showing the early signs of dieing on me, what does some one have to do to just get a reliable mount where I can go out 2 nights on the trot without getting the B.O.D (bleep of death)

The first sign of trouble is getting loads and loads of usb disconnects for no reason, even though i have a brand new hub and all the cables have been replaced, then your just sat there in the dark and you start getting bleeps from the hand controller, but before you get chance to read it, its gone off the display, then eventually it just freezes saying " mainboard connection error or any boards are being upgrading" and you have to switch off the power, most of the time when you power back up normal life resumes until that one last time when it still says mainbord error and you have no choice but to make the phone call.

Are there any of my fellow ioptron users out there aware of any longtime design issues with the ioptron circuit boards etc or anything else that I need to know about that ioptron are not telling us good people about, who are spending thousands and thousands of our hard earned cash on ?

As a small side issue ! No matter what quality of usb cable i use, there always loose on my usb 2.0 input on the back of the D panel, any one got any suggestions ? Also can any one tell me which is the best way to get power from a Nevada regulated power supply to my scope ?

Cheers

Carl.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Mount failure

Post by JayTee »

My cem70 is 2 years old and rocksolid. I just did a firmware update a couple weeks back and it's behaving even better.

The first thing that came to my mind on your problem is how are you powering the mount and is it good power versus dirty power? I don't know how else to phrase that hopefully one of our ee guys like Kathy @KathyNS will come along and help clarify that.

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

starman Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by starman »

Hi there JT, as far as I know the mount is being powered by 2 regulated power bricks, the 5amp Ioptron one which is giving out 12.41v and the 10amp brick which is giving out 12.46v, the output is very stable, but I have not had them on an oscilloscope yet so do not know how pure they are :(

Cheers
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I would agree with JT about checking the power. If it is rising and falling instead of staying steady it could be putting strain on various curcuits.
I would start checking with just the mount and HC to make sure it is operating properly then add on any auxillaries one at a time then test, add another then test.
How many amps does your mount/ gear require? Ten is quite high unless you can 'turn it down' so to speak.

Hopefully you can figure out the issue soon.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

I have had no comparable issues with my CEM-60.

Mine uses RS-232 rather than USB for mount control, so I have not had USB issues with it. However, the USB port on the RA hub for the devices on the dovetail seems to be of poor quality. My cable is always a loose fit. Not loose enough to disconnect, though.

I have had no power problems. Check that the barrel connector on the cable is the right size. They come in several sizes. 2.1 mm is the most common size, with 2.7 mm being in second place. Other sizes exist, although they are uncommon enough that I don't remember what they are. My CEM-60 uses a 2.1 mm plug for the mount power. I am guessing that your -70 does also. Using a larger size will physically fit, but the centre contact will be loose and may disconnect randomly.

The CEM-60 uses a 2.1 mm connector for the mount power and a 2.7 mm connector for the accessory power. I presume that the -70 does as well. If that is the case, then the two connectors are not interchangeable! A 2.1 mm won't fit the accessory connector. A 2.7 mm will be loose on the mount power connector.

If the power connector is the right size but still makes intermittent contact, get a plug (of the correct size) that includes a threaded collar. The power connectors have exposed threads that the threaded collar mates to. A threaded plug is much more secure than a regular one. I use a threaded plug for the connector on the RA hub which powers the equipment on the dovetail, because that connector moves every time the mount slews.
Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:09 am How many amps does your mount/ gear require? Ten is quite high unless you can 'turn it down' so to speak.
There is no such thing as a power supply having too many amps. I run my mount off a 35 amp power supply. The mount will only draw what it needs, typically 1 or 2 amps. Either the 5 or the 10 amp power supply will do the job. You don't want anything smaller than 5 amps. As long as the voltage is good, it should work well. Your voltages sound okay. Did you measure them with a load connected? If the voltage drops significantly under load, there is a problem with the power supply.

That's all I've got.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin