Is this worth the $$$

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Is this worth the $$$

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Hey everyone, I see this Meade refractor telescope this guy is selling on Facebook marketplace.
The guy is asking $100 said he literally used it once it’s a Meade infinity 60mm-70mm refractor ( I don’t have a refractor yet they retail for $160.00 on Amazon.
The question is it a toy or if I could get it for 75 he’s asking 100 would it be worth buying either way quality wise or price wise would it be worth it?
Thanks in advance !
Attachments
IMG_0183.png
IMG_0185.jpeg
IMG_0184.png
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Is this worth the $$$

Post by Bigzmey »

Diagonal and EPs need to be replaced, otherwise it could be a fun starter refractor. Red dot should be usable and barlow might be to. The aperture will be very limiting compared to your 10". But it could serve as grab-and-go.

I think $75 would be a fair price for 70mm model.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Honestly Frank, if that was me I'd pass. If you could get it for about $50 I'd say give it a whirl, but you'd probably not be impressed. Just speaking from experience and my two cents worth :D

I'd say save the C-note (expression for $100 here in Canada) and put it towards something better.

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thefatkitty wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:23 pm Honestly Frank, if that was me I'd pass. If you could get it for about $50 I'd say give it a whirl, but you'd probably not be impressed. Just speaking from experience and my two cents worth :D

I'd say save the C-note (expression for $100 here in Canada) and put it towards something better.

All the best,
I hear you Mark. Is it mostly because of the small aperture or quality of components?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I'm quite happy with a 4 inch frac as a grab-n-go. It weighs 15 pounds at f/9.8 and I can carry it in one hand. My other grab-n-go newt is slightly less portable. So maybe save up a bit for it. I can see a lot with the 4" and its way easier to haul out than my 10" Dob.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Nakedgun »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:46 pm Hey everyone, I see this Meade refractor telescope this guy is selling on Facebook marketplace.
The guy is asking $100 said he literally used it once it’s a Meade infinity 60mm-70mm refractor ( I don’t have a refractor yet they retail for $160.00 on Amazon.
The question is it a toy or if I could get it for 75 he’s asking 100 would it be worth buying either way quality wise or price wise would it be worth it?
Thanks in advance !
~
Junk.

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:40 pm
I hear you Mark. Is it mostly because of the small aperture or quality of components?
Honestly Andrey, I've looked through one with the 2 stock eyepieces, (a friend's son), it might be a good scope but it really needs at least one decent eyepiece, a non-plastic diagonal (a mirror with two pieces of-see through plastic on both ends of that) and a real tripod. Quality of components for sure!

My friend and I ended up getting his son a 6" Skywatcher dob. 5X the price, but a scope you can use for a lifetime, and much better optics/stability. For the price of this 70mm scope, a decent diagonal and one good eyepiece you wouldn't be much far off from the price of the 6" dob. And you'd still want a mount....
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thefatkitty wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:23 pm Honestly Frank, if that was me I'd pass. If you could get it for about $50 I'd say give it a whirl, but you'd probably not be impressed. Just speaking from experience and my two cents worth :D

All the best,
I love it C note I’m familiar with that term.
I think you are correct on the pass but I’d thought I’d give it a shot thanks for the input my friend!
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Nakedgun wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:37 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:46 pm Hey everyone, I see this Meade refractor telescope this guy is selling on Facebook marketplace.
Thanks in advance !
~
Junk.

That’s what I was thinking but I thought I’d give it a shot I appreciate you and your candid response thank you my friend !

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thank you every one!
I chuckle to myself now thinking “ ask a dumb question then get ready for the answers dummy” and thank you for schooling me yet again !

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thefatkitty wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:21 am
Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:40 pm
Honestly Andrey, I've looked through one with the 2 stock eyepieces, (a friend's son), it might be a good scope but it really needs at least one decent eyepiece, a non-plastic diagonal (a mirror with two pieces of-see through plastic on both ends of that) and a real tripod. Quality of components for sure!

My friend and I ended up getting his son a 6" Skywatcher dob. 5X the price, but a scope you can use for a lifetime, and much better optics/stability. For the price of this 70mm scope, a decent diagonal and one good eyepiece you wouldn't be much far off from the price of the 6" dob. And you'd still want a mount....
Well, yes for $500 one can certainly get better scope then for $100, and for $2000 even better yet. :D But to give the scope in question fair evaluation, most scopes under $500 come bundled with unusable EPs and many with plastic diagonals. I would say it is given that for most scopes you need to invest in better EPs and diagonal. Also, the mount it comes with is basic but not bad as far as entry level refractors go. This is older model and they came with more stable mounts then latest entry level scopes.

Also, Frank already has a nice 10" DOB and is looking for refractor experience. My first frac was not that much different from this 70mm and it got me hooked on refractors, so for my 2d I was comfortable to pay more, and even more for the 3d, and so on. :D There is no way I would be dropping $2,000 or even $500 on a scope from the beginning.

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Not a dumb question at all Frank, I know I'm glad you asked. Michael (Helicon) is right, and there are a lot of 4" models to choose from. Also keep an eye to the used market as well. I bought my slightly used 80mm f/11.4 frac and CG4 mount for $180 CDN, and it's been my workhorse for Solar/Lunar AP for going on 7 years now.

Patience, good things come to those who wait (and shop around!) :D
Mark

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:53 am
Well, yes for $500 one can certainly get better scope then for $100, and for $2000 even better yet. :D But to give the scope in question fair evaluation, most scopes under $500 come bundled with unusable EPs and many with plastic diagonals. I would say it is given that for most scopes you need to invest in better EPs and diagonal. Also, the mount it comes with is basic but not bad as far as entry level refractors go. This is older model and they came with more stable mounts then latest entry level scopes.

Also, Frank already has a nice 10" DOB and is looking for refractor experience. My first frac was not that much different from this 70mm and it got me hooked on refractors, so for my 2d I was comfortable to pay more, and even more for the 3d, and so on. :D There is no way I would be dropping $2,000 or even $500 on a scope from the beginning.
Good points Andrey, and I didn't notice Frank already had a dob :doh: My first 60mm got me hooked on fracs as well. I also didn't realise this 70mm was the older (and better) model. I stand corrected; was just trying to help :D
Mark

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

These short focal length, smaller than 80 mm beginner refractors are good to let the children play with at night or take it along when hiking/ camping or the occasional terrestrial look. You would not be concerned if it was banged around.

You can find good optics in 60 mm and larger refractors but they are usually at least f/10- f/15

As the others have already mentioned the accessories really let these telescopes down.

This is a older posting I made about the smaller refractors and what you can see.
https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=10111

If you are looking to purchase a refractor that will complement your newtonian I would not go less than a 80 mm in the f/7 range
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people