Let's see your reports!
scribbly Australia
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

First Light TSA120 - Moon and NGC4755

Post by scribbly »

Firstly, apologies for not being so active lately, in my defence though, the preparations and recovery, not to mention the trip to the Eclipse in Exmouth has been all consuming, at least for me, for several months. This report does provide my first impressions of my new scope but does include my observations using the scope (and I don't think that I'm not experienced to provide an objective equipment review) so I have posted the report here.

There is a good chance this could be my last first light observations (well for a telescope) as it is worthy of being a "scope for life," and especially so for me.

My new Tak TSA120, and was purchased with the help of Joe @OzEclipse who knew both that I was looking and that a mutual friend was "selling". For some reason Joe keeps appearing in all my good astronomy adventures....mmm....note to self....good friends are precious!

I have been fortunate to have had the TSA out twice this week, albeit limited. Being so close to full moon, and noting the new equipment tax of cloudy nights has to be paid, I did manage to get some time observing the moon through gaps in the cloud.

Observations

Moon. On Monday night I observerd with a 22mm Nagler, with the plan to get an initial impression of the scope's capabilities, and because I really enjoy just looking at the whole of the moon at the same time. The view is stunning, no false colour or chromatic fringes (as would be expected), and the detail is sharp. The detail of crater walls and crater mountains was very fine, and the sharpness of the craterlets across the field was spellbinding. I seem to gravitate to observing rilles, and I guess this is because of their detail, geological histories, and that they challenge both navigational and observing skills. Schroter's Valley was near the termintor on Thursday night, and while not a challenging object to observe, is a favourite feature of mine. This was perhaps the best view that I can remember of this Schroter's Valley.

I did "hook up" my EOS-RP mirrorless and snapped off 30 or subs and the image is below (yes some sharpending and PS skills are at play); I think it may be my best lunar image?? I like that I have a reasonably sharp view of Schroter's Valley The sharpness does motivate me to attempt a composite of images to be taken throughout the lunar month, to get get that level of detail across the whole lunar surface.
20230601-moon.jpg

NGC4755, Jewel Box. In addition to its sharpness, the TSA has a reputation of showing high levels of colour, and in particular star colour. Given I live at 35S latitude, NGC4755 is quite high in the early evening at the moment. Luckily the new scope cloud taxman gave me a 10-minute reprieve on Monday night. I have had many fine views of the Jewell Box, and typically I would say that I am nearly always able to observe the brightest carbon star in the cluster as a brilliant red, with just a hint of yellow and blue sprinkled across the remainder of the star field. With TSA, I observed vivid yellow and blue stars, and the Jewell Box presented itself as it does in the most enticing observing reports that I have read. I have noted that the stars, well at least with a 22mm Nagler are pin-point, and this certainly adds to the majesty of the view.

The next step is to chase some clear dark skies when the moon's impact on observing is minimal, and observe some DSOs. I am also keen to see if I can observe Hadley's Rille when the moon-phase suites, I have been lucky enough to observe this feature a couple of times at 300x with my 7" reflector but only on the best of observing nights. I have read of success with a TSA120 but the physics suggest that object is just beyond the resolution of the scope....time will tell.

Cheers, Phil
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: First Light TSA120 - Moon and NGC4755

Post by helicon »

Wonderful report and first light account Phil. Congratulations on winning the TSS VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Congratulations on winning the TSS VROD for the day and very nice take , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Great report Phil and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD award for your effort.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Nice report!
Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the fine new glass, first light and the VROD! I agree that a good 5" frac can be a lifetime scope, in particular under dark skies.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Congratulations on the new scope and excellent first light report. Congratulations on the VROD.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Congratulations on the well deserved VROD Phil! Beautiful image of the Moon also!

Congratulations on the 120 also, beautiful instrument!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

scribbly Australia
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by scribbly »

All the nice comments are appreciated :-)
and yes I am a very lucky person to be able to enjoy a nice refractor with such nice views. That said my ST80 better not think its getting a holiday, so good with good quality EPs for camping trips etc.
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Congratulations on the acquisition of the long desired TSA120 and the VROD.

BTW, I caught the, less than subtle, "nudge nudge wink wink, say no more," hint you dropped.
The next step is to chase some clear dark skies when the moon's impact on observing is minimal, and observe some DSOs.
How does 15/16 July new Moon weekend at 34 South sound? David might be coming up as well.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)