Back Again I hope I don't burn myself out :-)

Let's see your reports!
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Back Again I hope I don't burn myself out :-)

Post by John Donne »

May 23-24, 2023
9PM -1AM
Oakwood, not so dark site.
Bonnie and Mark braving the coyotes and the neighbors nasty barn lights.

Transparency poor.
Seeing poor.

Humidity high.
Temps 55-60

SW Evostar 100ED f9
CG4 mount

Pentax 7MM
TV 22 Panoptic
12.5 Doctor
Leica Microscope EP from JG

M80
M5
M4
Venus
Moon

I posted a photo of the moon that Bonnie helped me capture in the Moon picture section.
We also took more pictures of Venus, but none were as good, relatively speaking, as the ones we captured the last time we were out.

Bonnie chilled out pretty quickly and her joints were starting to hurt so she walked back to the house and left me to wander in the sky for a while alone.

I began my clumsy method of sky hopping and star stoping.

I scanned around, literally driving the telescope by hand with both clutches released, enjoying everything that passed the EP until I hit something interesting…not a star…then I stopped. I figured out what I had landed on if I could but if not I was satisfied to enjoy it for a while before moving on.

I began last night at Antares and moved to M4 which was easy and not really a random move as most everything else was on this outing.

After M4 I was all over the sky east and west of Scorpius. Mostly I hovered close.

I rolled into Sagittarius a bit to find the Butterfly and Ptolemy Clusters. I had to dig for those two as they were nearly on the horizon. The sky was so bad they revealed only a small portion of their resident stars. But I did notice that the Leica EP seemed to pull more light out of these difficult to resolve clusters. I tried to go up “The Chimney” to find the Lagoon Nebula and I think I caught it with the Leica but I am not sure. It was a very poor resolve and mostly a dusty spot. But it was fun to work for it no matter.

I slid back over to Antares and M4…I used Antares as my reference point.

Performing my scan again I hit upon M80 which resolved as a little cotton ball with maybe a few revealed stars but mostly a defuse ball of light. From there I wandered around quite a bit. It may seem fruitless, but for me it was a pleasure. I simply enjoyed viewing the stars. Sometimes I was able to see some color, but mostly the atmosphere killed that joy. I saw quite a few of what seemed to be doubles. I am not at all sure. They may have just been very close stars.

Eventually I stumbled upon M5. This one is hard to misidentify. It was a fine view. Even with only the 4 inch SW I was able to resolve a few stars in the cotton. They view of M5 was the best because I was pointing into the “deeper” sky with much less of the humid atmosphere to cut through.

It does not seem like I had much of a harvest, but I had a lot of fun. I spent about 4 hours out there. It was gooood !

Peace and Strength to you all.

Mark
Last edited by John Donne on Wed May 24, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Back Again I hope I don't burn myself out :-)

Post by Juno16 »

Sounds like a tough night Mark.
You pulled in some nice sights, but the skies made it hard and it sounds like the views were quite limited.
Still, I know that you had fun and I’m glad that you got out.

I very much enjoyed reading your well written report Mark. Thanks for sharing it!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

"nasty barn lights.
Transparency poor.
Seeing poor.
Humidity high."

For a report that started out like that, you guys had a nice evening!

My wife's joints have also gotten bad, ugh.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Sounds like fun session Mark. Glad you and Bonnie had a chance to get out. I hear you about the barn lights. My observing site is located on the hill and I swear quite few flood lights are aimed straight at us, which would be up for them. What are they looking for UFOs? :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Good little globular action there Mark (and Bonnie). Globs are always fun and M5 is one of my personal favorites. Keep it up, as I don't see burn-out in your future at all! :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

Hi Mark,

Glad to see you back in action, enjoyed reading your report. Hope to read more

Clear Skies,
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Very nice report again!
Another candidate for a VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A good session Mark, sometimes just wandering through the sky can be a fun and relaxing time.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt