Caddman United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Shapestar 150mm f/2.8 Hyperbolic Newtonian Astrograph

Post by Caddman »

Hello,
Has anybody had any experience with the Sharpstar 150mm f/2.8 atrograph?

I'm looking at purchasing one. I'm looking for a fast lightweight scope.

I was going to get a rasa 11. However, I'm getting older, and in a few years 45 lbs. will be a bit too heavy to hoist onto a mount. It will work well in an observatory where it remains stationary. Hauling it to a dark site is probably not feasible.

Anyway, I have read several reviews on the Sharpstar 150mm. Some stated issues with elongated and refracted stars with full frame sensors. Some talked about mirror flop. Others claim to be pin point to the corners with not problems at all. I'm wondering if anyone has personal experience with this scope. Were issues in the earlier versions subsequently resolved?

Thanks
Glenn

Telescopes; Stellarvue SVA130T, WO GT71, Orion SkyQuest XT10, Orion 10" f/3.9 Astrograph
Mounts; Atlas EQ-G, Celestron CGX-L
Binoculars; Oberwerk LW 11 X 70, Oberwerk 25 X 100
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Shapestar 150mm f/2.8 Hyperbolic Newtonian Astrograph

Post by Juno16 »

Wow, that is certainly an impressive scope!

I wish that I had some information to share with you, but your post was the first that I have heard about this scope.

My skies have been so poor, a scope like this for shooting in-between the clouds would be great.

When I looked up the scope at Agena Astro, I noticed that they do a thorough optical inspection of each scope. Nice feature!

I have a little Sharpstar 61 EDPHII that I bought from Agena Astro several years ago. Turned out that the main objective was flawed. I contacted Agena and they were not helpful. I contacted Sharpstar and they asked for photographic evidence which I promptly supplied. They sent me a new objective that works very well.
I love that little scope and would certainly buy another Sharpstar! Excellent customer service (from Sharpstar).

I'm not seriously looking at buying the scope, but it is really a nice piece of glass!

Please update the thread if you decide to buy one!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Caddman United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Shapestar 150mm f/2.8 Hyperbolic Newtonian Astrograph

Post by Caddman »

Juno16 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:06 pm
I have a little Sharpstar 61 EDPHII that I bought from Agena Astro several years ago. Turned out that the main objective was flawed. I contacted Agena and they were not helpful. I contacted Sharpstar and they asked for photographic evidence which I promptly supplied. They sent me a new objective that works very well.
I love that little scope and would certainly buy another Sharpstar! Excellent customer service (from Sharpstar).
Thanks for information about customer service. That is important to me. It's good to know that you were taken care of.
Thanks,
Glenn
Glenn

Telescopes; Stellarvue SVA130T, WO GT71, Orion SkyQuest XT10, Orion 10" f/3.9 Astrograph
Mounts; Atlas EQ-G, Celestron CGX-L
Binoculars; Oberwerk LW 11 X 70, Oberwerk 25 X 100