Observing Report for 21 May 2023 – Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 21 May 2023 – Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:06 pm Great report!
Nice descriptions, very readable!
Truly a VROD winner! Congratulations!!

Thank you John, appreciate your comments my friend.

Bigzmey wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:09 pm
kt4hx wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:00 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:45 pm Great supernova session, Alan! Glad that you have persevered despite smoky conditions. Mag 11 SN in M101! I am getting super excited just reading about it. :D Unfortunately, it has been raining for last few nights here, and week a head forecast is solid shut. :angry:

Thank you Andrey. What I am reading is that the SN has peaked, but should be visible for a while yet. So hopefully you will get a chance before it fades into obscurity. This one seemed to catch a lot of folks by surprise, which given their nature, is not too surprising. We are long overdue a nice one in our own galaxy, and hopefully that will happen in my lifetime. :icon-smile:
I don't know about one in our galaxy Alan. If that would happen close enough to Earth we would be in troubles.

Of course the situation you describe would be the worse case scenario. However, we need to remember that our galaxy is huge, and we occupy a very minuscule place within it. Therefore, there is plenty of room for one to happen that would not impact us in the least, yet provide a nice visual show. Of course one of the most talked about candidates is Betelgeuse, at 650 MLY. However, most of the information I see says it is highly unlikely anyone alive today would be around to witness the event, as it is still in the early period of fusing helium into carbon, which in turn has to be fused into oxygen., then silicon and finally iron - boom! :icon-smile:

Unitron48 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:29 pm Sweet, Alan! Congrats on the SN capture...and the VROD!

Dave

Thank you Dave, and hope things are well down yonder!

helicon wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:54 pm I read somewhere that we would be safe so long as said SN is 50 or more light years away. That's not exactly very far in the cosmic scale of things. Who knows, but it could have happened 50 years ago and we would not know it. I suppose we would evaluate stars within this range to determine candidates, but AFAIK there would not be very many with the right (or wrong) characteristics.

Thanks Michael. Yeah, the chances appear to be quite slim at this juncture. We might be more in danger of a GRB (Gamma Ray Burst) aimed at us that we are unaware of at this time, or perhaps an errant NEO (Near Earth Object) that we've missed.

From what I've read about supernovae, anything around 30 MLY or less (of course) would be devastating to life on our planet. Of course there is that gray area of that happening a little more than 30 MLY, and as the distance increases, the impact lessens. Also from what I've read, the closest known candidate is the white dwarf IK Pegasi B, which is at about 150 MLY. This star orbits closer to the A component of IK Pegasi than Mercury does to our sun. As I understand it, when A begins to expand as it turns into a red giant, it will eventually reach a diameter where the B component will start acrreting material from A which will in turn cause it to increase in size and possibly collape in upon itself - boom!

So at this point, with what we do know, a nearby supernova doesn't seem like much of a worry. But as we do know, there are plenty of other possibilities. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Checking on SN 2023ixf today, the site I referenced still has it at mag 10.8, but Sky Tools 4 now lists it at mag 11.0, which tracks with what I've seen a few observers estimate. So it seems it is starting to slowly fade. Hopefully it will be with us for a while yet.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Once again an impressive outing Alan! Congrats on seeing the new supernovae and the Hockey Stick! As well as everything else; I always enjoy your observing reports :D

I know I've said it before, but you need to write a book; maybe even a collaboration with Andrey? Between the two of you, what haven't you seen? That would be a detailed and enjoyable read for sure.

Too bad about the forest fire smoke; we were supposed to get it earlier this week and it never came to pass. I guess it just blew south to you. Alberta owes you an apology!! :lol:

All the best my friend,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:44 pm Once again an impressive outing Alan! Congrats on seeing the new supernovae and the Hockey Stick! As well as everything else; I always enjoy your observing reports :D

I know I've said it before, but you need to write a book; maybe even a collaboration with Andrey? Between the two of you, what haven't you seen? That would be a detailed and enjoyable read for sure.

Too bad about the forest fire smoke; we were supposed to get it earlier this week and it never came to pass. I guess it just blew south to you. Alberta owes you an apology!! :lol:

All the best my friend,

Thank you very much for your kind comments Mark. Well I am sure Andrey would agree with me that even together there is plenty of things we haven't seen - yet! :icon-smile:

I honestly don't know if I could concentrate enough to write a book with or without Andrey. It takes a lot of discipline and focus, and at 69 yrs old, I'm not sure I've got enough of either left within me! :lol: That said, I do appreciate the thought however my friend.

No apologies required from Alberta, as it was just one of those things that happens sometimes, and fortunately, not something that lasts for very long. :icon-smile:
Alan

10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Thanks Alan for your very fine report. It seems that you had a great night out under the stars even having to deal with the unexpected smoke. Your reports are always very informative and interesting. It’s been pretty rainy and/or windy here and lately the only clear nights have been too moony. I’m looking forward to the next lunar dark cycle and crossing my fingers for a clear night or two. I have been very busy taking care of some sickness in the family so I haven’t had the chance to read the forum reports very often but hopefully I can spend more time here. Your reports always remind me of all the enjoyable times I spent on the forum in the past. Keep up the good work Alan and thanks for all you do!
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

10538 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:06 pm Thanks Alan for your very fine report. It seems that you had a great night out under the stars even having to deal with the unexpected smoke. Your reports are always very informative and interesting. It’s been pretty rainy and/or windy here and lately the only clear nights have been too moony. I’m looking forward to the next lunar dark cycle and crossing my fingers for a clear night or two. I have been very busy taking care of some sickness in the family so I haven’t had the chance to read the forum reports very often but hopefully I can spend more time here. Your reports always remind me of all the enjoyable times I spent on the forum in the past. Keep up the good work Alan and thanks for all you do!

Thank you Ed, I truly appreciate your kind comments. Sorry to hear of the health issues within your family, just another example where the priorities of life take precedence. I hope that all works out favorably in short order.

Good luck with your observing, and hopefully your conditions will settle down. I hope you do get more opportunities to be active here, your contributions are always welcomed my friend.
Alan