Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

May 2023 Solar Chats

Post by Thefatkitty »

I hope no one minds I started this months edition of this. It's been raining steady for two days now and I need a diversion :lol:

Since I have nothing new to post I thought I'd take a look back at the past four months. I've had 14 days in all that to take some white light solar shots; 2 in January, 3 in February, 4 in March and 5 in April. You can see it's steadily increasing...

The first stack I got for the new year was on Jan 7th. The last half of 2022 was coming along nicely for spot activity, and still going:

Sun_01_07_2023s.jpg

Jan 14th was the clearest day I've had so far this year and the most activity I've personally ever seen on the Sun. Nice combination that:

Sun_01_14_2023s.jpg

Feb 14th is still showing good activity and another clear day:

Sun_02_14_2023s.jpg

March 9th was the last time I saw any spot activity on the Sun for a while. The second picture is from March 15th; what happened??

Sun_03_09_2023s.jpg
Sun_03_15_2023s.jpg

Next so-so clear day was April 2nd, still not much activity:

Sun_04_02_2023-80mm.jpg

By the next time I saw ol' Sol on April 14th, there was a bit more going on:

Sun_04_14_2023s.jpg

And from the other day (Thursday the 27th) there's still some spot activity.

Sun_04_27_2023s.jpg

Hopefully the weather here will warm up and clear. I'm also hoping to get into the whole HA thing; more on that later, parts and money permitting :D

Clear skies to you!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: May 2023 Solar Chats

Post by Solsearcher »

Nice set of images Mark !!

I know how you feel , we have had just enough sun to tease us . You are going to have to stop shopping , your clouds are spreading over to me now !!!
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Thanks for kicking us into May Mark, and for your white light images. We had several sunny days last month but it's back to clouds and rain again.
H ave I missed something ? what do you have in mind to get into Ha ?
Keith
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice set , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Solsearcher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:44 am Nice set of images Mark !!

I know how you feel , we have had just enough sun to tease us . You are going to have to stop shopping , your clouds are spreading over to me now !!!

Yeah, sorry for that Mike, between the new continuum filter and the ERF... Speaking of which, I ordered the 75mm from Robtics Artronomical in the Netherlands. Still no word from them; I'm hoping I don't have to get into a dispute with them over this.
Even the Coronado blocking filters are scarcer than hens teeth. I'm looking at the Coronado 70mm's from All-Star telescopes, my bank account, things I could sell :lol:

I'll bet last year these parts were everywhere, and now that I want to get into it, the world supply dries up ;) Time will tell I guess.

Tillibobs wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:42 am Thanks for kicking us into May Mark, and for your white light images. We had several sunny days last month but it's back to clouds and rain again.
H ave I missed something ? what do you have in mind to get into Ha ?
Keith

Hey Keith, nice to hear from you; hope your health is improving :) Your weather sounds a lot like mine! As for the HA, it was Mike who offered to help me out with a Stage 1 mod, and the 2 when I could afford the larger BF. How could I say no? Plus like you, I'd get to meet a forum member and in my case learn a lot. No oceans to cross here, more like a hundred or so kilometres of highway :D

Hope to see you back in the game soon!

messier 111 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:25 pm very nice set , thx .
Merci bien mon ami, et comment va ton nouveau chien? :D

Well, the cat wants out now. Hope she enjoys the rain!
Thanks and all the best everyone,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Charlie is doing very well thank you, she is having fun like a healthy 5 month old puppy.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi again all,

Another soggy day here, and not that warm. Well, the rain better go away; I've ordered stuff... A couple of weeks ago I started my "side jobs"; this is where I do things for the folks on my route list. Two weeks ago I cleaned a yard and a few other things. At the end of the day I was rewarded with $500. Last weekend I took my Lincoln Electric Mig-Pack 140 and rewelded the broken hinge on the bottom of a steel gate. That was a trick; the gate is 8 feet tall and was at an angle due to the broken hinge. Was fun getting it lined up so I could weld the hinge. Works great now and that got me $400 for almost two hours of my time.

The bills are paid and the girls don't need for anything. But Daddy does... I ordered the new GenII Baader Calcium-K filter and a Baader 90mm ERF.
I purchased these items from Teleskop-Express in Germany. Why them? They had stock and it was actually cheaper than ordering from Canada or the US of A. Plus, they had stock :lol:

So what did that cost? The Calcium filter was $410CDN with duty and shipping, and the ERF was $654CDN, again with duty and shipping. No VAT for me thankfully!

And they are both already on the way; the C-K filter should be here on the 10th, and the ERF soon after. I have the option to have them delivered, but I'd rather pick them up at the depot. Too many porch pirates!

I can't wait for all this but I'll have to. And a big shout out to Mike (@Solsearcher) for helping me with this mod in regards to the ERF. He's offered me a used Celestron Omni 102 XLT (F/10) for the donor scope and a PST for the etalon and BF for a really nice price, as well as some lathe work to make it all fit. I'm really looking forward to meeting him/seeing what's involved :D I already have the money set aside for that. Now all I have to do is work some more so I can get a 15mm BF; if I can find one!

You know you're a solar head when you spend all your extra money on stuff like this. It could be worse... couldn't it?

Hoping your skies are clearer than mine,
Mark

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

We've been having our 'spring wind' here. Hard to capture images in a 15 plus mph wind.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Hey Mark, things are really moving along nicely for you, you'll soon have your new hardware and you'll have made a lifetime friend in Mike. Someone was going to work wonders for me and come up with a stage 1 but I'm .still waiting.lol.
Healthwise, the physio and carers seem pleased with my progress, and the exercises are paying off. Another couple of weeks and I'll be throwing my gear around and waiting for some Solar action to capture.
Keith.
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Hey Keith
Great to hear you are progressing well !!

Glad you are not waiting on me !! if there is anything holding this up that I can ship to you let me know .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Tillibobs wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:30 am Hey Mark, things are really moving along nicely for you, you'll soon have your new hardware and you'll have made a lifetime friend in Mike. Someone was going to work wonders for me and come up with a stage 1 but I'm .still waiting.lol.
Healthwise, the physio and carers seem pleased with my progress, and the exercises are paying off. Another couple of weeks and I'll be throwing my gear around and waiting for some Solar action to capture.
Keith.
Hi Keith, sorry to hear about your stage 1 mod, but very happy to hear that you're making progress with your health! :clap: Looking forward to hearing about you getting back at it :D

Well on a different note... I ordered my Calcium-K filter on the 1st of May. I got in, there was a knock on the door 5 minutes later and it was DHL Express with the filter. Only 3 days, wow!
Best part is it is supposed to be warm and "mainly sunny" on Saturday. I will take that, here's hoping!

IMG_1452.JPG
Mark

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Ahh, the progression of things... I opened my aforementioned package, and to my dismay, it would seem that Baader is not making stackable filter boxes anymore. I was looking forward to adding filter #6 :(

IMG_1454.JPG

These things are like the Lego of filter boxes; top to bottom and/or side to side. Why did they discontinue them I wonder? Sad that. Even the newly released Solar Continuum for CMOS came in a stackable box, and that I just got a month ago; again from Teleskop Express. I should complain to Baader :lol:

BTW, if any of you want some Baader 3.8 solar film (AP only; not for visual!), send me a PM with your address and I'll mail it to you and pay the postage to boot :D. I'll send it in the packaging I got it in as well; worked for me.

IMG_1455.JPG

I already have a 3.8 filter and a 5.0 for my 60 and 80mm's... Tupperware containers are great for storing these, the 5.0 film is over 6 years old and not a pinhole!

IMG_1453.JPG

4PM and the girls are in, and I can hear the cat meowing for food/attention. I guess I should go be sociable... TTYL!!
Mark

Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

I know this is probably the wrong place to put this but I don't care ! Solar Chat.....Congratulations to Mike for another APOD you certainly deserve it.
I've got my Lunt 60 mounted but, after3 years of not being used, I'm having problems seeing anything and the BIG problem is that I can't sort it if the Sun don't shine.
Keith
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Had a clear day finally and was able to capture a few.
ROI3.jpg
ROI2.jpg
P35-25-2023.jpg
P2.jpg
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Very nice captures Gordon !!
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Well done Gordon,
I had a little sunshine late yesterday and managed to achieve focus, adjust the Etalon next ( Friday is when the next sunny day is forecast ) Then toss a camera into the mix.
Keith
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

You are getting close Keith , looking forward to seeing some images !!