The Great Photography Thread - REVIVED!

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The Great Photography Thread - REVIVED!

Post by DeanD »

I just got back from a trip to the Flinders' ranges in South Oz: my favourite part of the world!
It was an Astro Camp: the skies are "Bortle 1", with SQM readings down to 22.1 on a good night. Not this time though, as the upcoming solarmax has meant the dark skies are a bit brighter than usual.
Here are a couple of non-astro pics from the trip...

One of the locals: a Wedge-tailed eagle. It is a very dark colour which would indicate it is quite a few years old
Wedgie1.jpeg
Wedgie2.jpeg

Some more locals: a flock of Corellas (a medium sized cockatoo). Some of them are carrying pieces of "paddy-melon"; a pest species that grows along the side of the road.
Corellas1.jpeg

The entrance to Brachina Gorge, one of my favourite picnic spots:
Brachina Gorge 1.jpeg

...and, turning around, another local: a yellow-footed rock wallaby:
Rock Wallaby 1.jpeg

and finally, some 640M year old stromatolites in Parachilna Gorge. These are identical to the ones still being formed today on the mid-northwest coast of Western Australia!
Stromatolites1.jpeg
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Sophia and I had an early start this morning so we could get a walk in the Forest before we had to get back for our respective work days.

We had left our home by 6.30am and travelled to Roydon Woods Nature Reserve, Brockenhurst.

It was a beautiful morning. Sunny but not too hot (9℃ / 48.2℉).

This is an extract from the Roydon Woods website to explain what it is about -

"Roydon Woods nature reserve is an impressive patchwork of wildlife rich habitats, including grassy meadows and ancient copses of conifer and hazel. This nature reserve is beautiful all year round – whenever you choose to visit, you’re sure to be absorbed by the magic of this enchanting ancient woodland.

A great many birds and mammals call Roydon Woods home, including great spotted woodpeckers, nuthatches, skylarks, badgers, voles, stoats and a great many more.

Amongst the dense blocks of woodland are rich floral carpets, which attract a host of beautiful moths and butterflies, including small pearl bordered fritillary. These woods are perfect for birders and wildlife enthusiasts, with a tranquillity and magnificence that will enchant even the most hardened city dweller.

The woods are also home to fungi of all shapes, sizes and colours, including the delicate porcelain fungi."

It is so quiet here, apart from the chirping of the birds and our footfall on the gravel paths. The early morning smells are incredible. Definitely worth getting up and out early to experience this :D

I took a few photos to share with you...
roydon-woods-26May23_01.jpg
roydon-woods-26May23_02.jpg
roydon-woods-26May23_03.jpg
roydon-woods-26May23_04.jpg

The following plaque is attached to a gate in the reserve. It reads as follows:

“The reinstatement of the historic management of this area as heathland and pasture woodland is dedicated to the memory of Colin Tubbs without whose tireless efforts many such areas would have been lost.”
roydon-woods-26May23_05.jpg

Colin Tubbs was an ecologist and author of books on the New Forest. You can read more about him here - Colin Tubbs bio

The last three photos brings us to a footbridge that crosses Lymington River. We took a few minutes to enjoy the sound of the river trickling through here...

roydon-woods-26May23_06.jpg
roydon-woods-26May23_07.jpg
roydon-woods-26May23_08.jpg

Thank you for looking.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Before we started our walk through Roydon Woods Nature Reserve, we parked in the car park outside St. Nicholas Church

st.nicholas-church-brockenhurst-26May23_01.jpg

A site opposite the church was chosen as a First World War hospital centre. The facilities were later taken over in 1916 and became the No.1 New Zealand General Hospital, where over 21,000 New Zealand casualties were treated.

There are Commonwealth war graves in St Nicholas church cemetery.

For more information please visit Commonwealth War Graves

In the church car park is an information board and plinth...

st.nicholas-church-brockenhurst-26May23_02.jpg
st.nicholas-church-brockenhurst-26May23_03.jpg

Unfortunately, the wording on the board may not be readable in this image. The original size is too large to post here and I don't have a website to post it to either - sorry :oops:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

DeanD wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:36 am I just got back from a trip to the Flinders' ranges in South Oz: my favourite part of the world!
It was an Astro Camp: the skies are "Bortle 1", with SQM readings down to 22.1 on a good night. Not this time though, as the upcoming solarmax has meant the dark skies are a bit brighter than usual.

One of the locals: a Wedge-tailed eagle. It is a very dark colour which would indicate it is quite a few years old

Wedgie1.jpeg

Wedgie2.jpeg

Some more locals: a flock of Corellas (a medium sized cockatoo). Some of them are carrying pieces of "paddy-melon"; a pest species that grows along the side of the road.

Corellas1.jpeg

Brachina Gorge 1.jpeg

Rock Wallaby 1.jpeg

and finally, some 640M year old stromatolites in Parachilna Gorge. These are identical to the ones still being formed today on the mid-northwest coast of Western Australia!

Stromatolites1.jpeg
Beautiful nature and Bortle 1 sky this is a dream come true trip! Thanks for sharing Dean.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:21 am Sophia and I had an early start this morning so we could get a walk in the Forest before we had to get back for our respective work days.

We had left our home by 6.30am and travelled to Roydon Woods Nature Reserve, Brockenhurst.

It was a beautiful morning. Sunny but not too hot (9℃ / 48.2℉).

This is an extract from the Roydon Woods website to explain what it is about -

"Roydon Woods nature reserve is an impressive patchwork of wildlife rich habitats, including grassy meadows and ancient copses of conifer and hazel. This nature reserve is beautiful all year round – whenever you choose to visit, you’re sure to be absorbed by the magic of this enchanting ancient woodland.

A great many birds and mammals call Roydon Woods home, including great spotted woodpeckers, nuthatches, skylarks, badgers, voles, stoats and a great many more.

Amongst the dense blocks of woodland are rich floral carpets, which attract a host of beautiful moths and butterflies, including small pearl bordered fritillary. These woods are perfect for birders and wildlife enthusiasts, with a tranquillity and magnificence that will enchant even the most hardened city dweller.

The woods are also home to fungi of all shapes, sizes and colours, including the delicate porcelain fungi."

It is so quiet here, apart from the chirping of the birds and our footfall on the gravel paths. The early morning smells are incredible. Definitely worth getting up and out early to experience this :D

I took a few photos to share with you...

roydon-woods-26May23_01.jpgroydon-woods-26May23_02.jpgroydon-woods-26May23_03.jpgroydon-woods-26May23_04.jpg

The following plaque is attached to a gate in the reserve. It reads as follows:

“The reinstatement of the historic management of this area as heathland and pasture woodland is dedicated to the memory of Colin Tubbs without whose tireless efforts many such areas would have been lost.”

roydon-woods-26May23_05.jpg

Colin Tubbs was an ecologist and author of books on the New Forest. You can read more about him here - Colin Tubbs bio

The last three photos brings us to a footbridge that crosses Lymington River. We took a few minutes to enjoy the sound of the river trickling through here...

roydon-woods-26May23_06.jpgroydon-woods-26May23_07.jpgroydon-woods-26May23_08.jpg

Thank you for looking.
Beautiful nature, thanks for sharing Vanessa!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
JSBach1801 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

Post by JSBach1801 »

Been going through some old images I took back in 2017 when I traveled to some places in Europe. There are many I didn't process at the time but are still worth salvaging. This is the little coastal village of St. Abbs, Scotland.

StAbbs_Small.jpg
Lyle In Utah

Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar 73 III APO, ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: Sony a7IV Mirrorless, ZWO ASI120MM-MINI
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35i
Control: ASIAIR Plus
Pluto Ambassador

Post by JSBach1801 »

Another from the same area.

StAbbs_02_Small.jpg
Lyle In Utah

Pluto Ambassador

Post by JSBach1801 »

Edinburgh, also from 2017.

Edinburgh_Small.jpg
Lyle In Utah

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Thank you for your Scottish entries Lyle.

Scotland is a place we have never visited, but I know the scenery is magnificent.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:05 pm
DeanD wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:36 am I just got back from a trip to the Flinders' ranges in South Oz: my favourite part of the world!

Wedgie1.jpeg

Wedgie2.jpeg

Corellas1.jpeg

Brachina Gorge 1.jpeg

Rock Wallaby 1.jpeg

Stromatolites1.jpeg
Beautiful nature and Bortle 1 sky this is a dream come true trip! Thanks for sharing Dean.
Yep: I try to get up there at least twice a year, whether I need to or not: and have been fortunate to have done so since 1996! ;)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Pluto Ambassador

Post by JSBach1801 »

Another pano of St. Abbs, Scotland.

StAbbs_03_Small.jpg
Lyle In Utah

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

We had another early start today, leaving home by car at 6.30am to visit Anderwood Inclosure near Burley.

We wanted to be out early as it is a Bank Holiday weekend and the area can get quite busy.

It was sunny and dry but quite fresh.

This is the start of the path from the car park...
Anderwood-28May23_01.jpg

A lot of Foxgloves are appearing now...
Anderwood-28May23_02.jpg
Anderwood-28May23_04.jpg

It had been quite damp overnight and the spiders have been busy building their webs over all the bushes and grass...
Anderwood-28May23_03.jpg

There are a lot of Southern Ant nests here. This one is particularly large. It is about 15 feet away from the footpath, and is about 5 to 6 feet tall as it is wide...
Anderwood-28May23_05.jpg

We stayed for about 1½ hours before returning home.

Thank you for looking.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

We have a lovely red rose in full bloom in our rear garden at the moment...

red-rose-home-28May23.jpg
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Prickly pears and pomegranate blossoms from our garden
20230527_151524.jpg
20230526_195239.jpg

John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Nesting Pileated Woodpecker in our yard.

It took them about three weeks to make this nest in a dead Red Oak.
Captured with Nikon D810 mounted on my F9 Evostar 100.
Pileated Net.jpg
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

John Donne wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:25 pm Nesting Pileated Woodpecker in our yard.

Pileated Net.jpg
They must be keen to hollow out a nest in dead wood: I would think it would be much harder than a living tree. Very cool to have Woody Woodpecker in your backyard though! (Does reference to him date me? ;) )
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

I posted an image of the "blood lillies" at my grandson's local park a while back: all flower and no leaves. Now the flowers have dies off, and the leaves have appeared, so here are the "before" and "after" images:

Before:
Blood lillies before.jpg

After:
Blood lillies after.jpg

These big fleshy leaves die off completely during the summer, leaving bare ground until the flowers emerge.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Pileated Mates .
Pileated Mates.jpg
And take a peek at this video on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/animos_st ... 12WmiAb85V
Last edited by John Donne on Tue May 30, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

DeanD wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:23 pm
John Donne wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:25 pm Nesting Pileated Woodpecker in our yard.

Pileated Net.jpg
They must be keen to hollow out a nest in dead wood: I would think it would be much harder than a living tree. Very cool to have Woody Woodpecker in your backyard though! (Does reference to him date me? ;) )
They work like crazy to build the nest.
She is sitting on eggs now. They should hatch in a week or so. I think...
Date you ?
Of course not.
Everyone who studies world history should know "Woody"!
My wife and I are thinking of a name for her and Bonnie says "Whilhemina" and "Woody". :icon-smile:
I think we should give this pair a new set of names.

Any Suggestions ?

Here she is this morning.
DSC_9486 copy original no edits copy NET.jpg

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Lucille and Desi
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount