Unexpected Push-to in my cell-phone

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Unexpected Push-to in my cell-phone

Post by John Baars »

And unexpected windfall, GrabnGo push-to

Until now, with my 4 inch F5 scope on Alt/Az mount, I looked up objects using Red Dot Finder and 8X50 or 19X50 viewfinder. (Interchangeable eyepieces)
That 19X50 was necessary to still be able to see Messiers under the increasing light pollution. But even that proves to be an arduous trip in the city sometimes.
Very often only the brightest stars turn out to be visible and the sky in between seems empty. The RDF was actually only used for the very brightest stars and sometimes for the better guesswork in between. The 8X viewfinder with 7 degrees field of view also turned out to be very marginal in some cases. The 19X gives a field of view that is actually quite small for comfortable starhopping.
Reasons enough to start looking for a push-to system that at least brings me near or within the range of the viewfinder. Six months ago I subscribed to a French crowdfund that was going to develop such a system. It was delivered the other day, only with the necessary digital software problems that such a project in its infancy brings. Inevitable. It will work out eventually, but it will take a lot of time.

Back to square one.
Until a fellow observer on the Dutch forum recently described how he used his app PS Align Pro to perform push-to searches.
Eeehhhh....I have that app too!!!?
So far only used it to find the position of Polaris.
To make a long story short, I followed his directions, mounted my cellphone to my scope and booted things up.
Under an overcast sky, I had the scope look up a fake Arcturus, synchronized, and then sided with a fake M3. Trouble-free. But still nothing proven. The next day I had the Sun looked up, synchronized, and then Venus. 44 degrees further away. To my surprise, Venus appeared in the viewfinder, 2 degrees off center. A very nice experience to have Venus in view in the middle of the day, with the Sun just past its highest point.

At the next opportunity we will try this at night.

And to think that all this time the solution was just in my own phone in my pocket.......
Pro Star Align op Startravel - kopie.JPG
Cell-phone mounted at the telescope, together with its other finder-friends, the RDF and a Raci.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Unexpected Push-to in my cell-phone

Post by chris_g »

John Baars wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:25 pm Until a fellow observer on the Dutch forum recently described how he used his app PS Align Pro to perform push-to searches.
Eeehhhh....I have that app too!!!?
Nice!

I searched the Play store, while several polar alignment tools showed up, that particular app didn't show up. Is there a source you can download the APK file from and side load the app? What were his instructions?

Clear Skies,
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

@chris_g
I find it in the App Store. It is an I-phone application.
I don't know about other downloads.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

That's great John! With LP worthening, star hopping becomes a pain and some sort of go-to or push-to - necessity. Keep us posted on your progress.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

John Baars wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:35 pm @chris_g
I find it in the App Store. It is an I-phone application.
I don't know about other downloads.
Sorry, I didn't think Apple, I assumed Android :oops:
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

@chris_g Sorry for that, I didn't realized that either.

@Bigzmey
Yesterday evening it was a standard night here on my location. At 23.00-23.30 hrs. only one star of Hercules was visible with the naked eye. So I had to rely on the app.
The app tells me to sync on a reference-star. In the case of M3 and M53 it was Arcturus. In the case of M57, M13, M92, M57, NGC6210, NGC6229 it was Wega. From the reference star the objects came direct into view within the 3.3 degree FOV of my lowest magnification.

Synchronizing on a present Messier was far less accurate for the next hop. In most cases just within the 7 degree FOV of the finder. Sometimes not even that. A direct hop from Arcturus to Vega was a leap to big. So it is recommended to use the reference star the app is suggesting.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Sounds like a great tool! Keep us updated please!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein