Halley's Comet perhaps sent a very early RSVP of its return!

Discuss the latest astronomy news!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Halley's Comet perhaps sent a very early RSVP of its return!

Post by kt4hx »

Interesting to speculate whether a piece of Halley's dove through the roof of a home in central New Jersey yesterday (May 8). Since the Eta Aquarids meteor shower is currently underway, and that shower's progenitor is Halley's, it seems feasible. It will take some study to determine the origin of this metallic object that came from above.

https://centraljersey.com/2023/05/08/po ... hip-house/
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Halley's Comet perhaps sent a very early RSVP of its return!

Post by messier 111 »

interesting, can't wait to see the results .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

messier 111 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:18 am interesting, can't wait to see the results .

It would be quite cool if it is indeed a piece of Halley's. Of course having a meteorite hit your house is interesting in and of itself anyway. I saw Halley's back in 1986 when we were in West Africa. Other than its historic context, it wasn't much to look at then from our location. Unfortunately, I don't think I will make it to 2061, as I would be about 107 yrs old!
gramps.gif
gramps.gif (2.44 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I viewed Halley's in !986 from Satellite Beach, Florida. Not much to see, but I coerced all my office-mates to take a peak through my 60mm refractor!! Like you, that was my only opportunity.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:36 am I viewed Halley's in !986 from Satellite Beach, Florida. Not much to see, but I coerced all my office-mates to take a peak through my 60mm refractor!! Like you, that was my only opportunity.

Dave

Yeah, I thought it was rather dismal. Hopefully it will do better 38 yrs from now, not that we will care! :icon-smile:
Alan

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I hear people complaining about Halley's Comet being "not much to look at" over and over, in this thread and other places. When I drill down and ask some questions, I often find that most waited until it was going to be at "maximum brightness in the evening sky" with Moon interference in April.

Many amateur astronomers and practically the entire general population did not get out of bed before dawn when Halley was pre-perihelion in Aquarius from mid-late March 1986. Stephen Edberg's NASA technical book was quite clear about the relative observing geometry pre and post perihelion. Halley's was not a disappointment. It was a bright coma with a beautiful scimitar shaped tail trailing behind for several degrees to the naked eye. It was something to look at. When it was in the evening sky, the tail was pointing almost directly away from us and hence invisible. But that was your fault for looking at the wrong time, not the comet's.

Let's stop the Halley’s Comet bashing. It was a beautiful comet if you looked at it.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Joe, maybe for you, down under, you had a better view. For us in the northern hemisphere, even in March, Halley's was not much to look at. Especially when you compare it to some of the great comets that have come since then, such as Comet Hyakutake in 1996, Hale-Bopp 1997, Neowise in 2020, even 2014 Q2 Lovejoy in 2015 was much better.

I imaged Halley's comet from a very dark site in the early morning hours of March 16th, 1986 and could not make it out with the naked eye. I observed Hyakutake from downtown New Orleans, LA standing next to the SuperDome with the naked eye.
So yes, Halley's was a dud compared to the several I mentioned above and quite a few others since.
Halley's comet - MARCH 16th, 1986 5:05-5:15am local time.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Halley was a beautiful comet. His fame was worldwide. I won't say anything about that. Attached is a sketch I made in November 1985. In total I have seen Halley 9 times. The public at the public observatory also thought it was impressive. Kohoutek's deception was still quite there.
However, Hale Bopp, Hyakutake and Neowise were more impressive. If I am allowed to believe contemporaneous observers, comet West 1976 was even more impressive, pity I have no good memory of it. Hale Bopp was already visible with the Sun still above the horizon. So...at least three of them quite impressive.
Without detracting from the beauty of Halley, I can imagine that compared to the three aforementioned comets Halley loses out in the eyes of observers.
Halley 12th november (3) 1985.jpg
Halley 12th novembr 1985.jpg
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.