Some Tips on Galaxy Observing from Light Polluted Locations

Post topics on how to set up, EP selection, cold/wet weather outings, gear transportation, target selection etc.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Some Tips on Galaxy Observing from Light Polluted Locations

Post by helicon »

While nothing beats dark skies, some of us live in the shadow of urban and suburban glow. Should that stop us from viewing galaxies from home?

No.

Now that it is Spring the constellations full of galaxies become increasingly prominent. In this grouping it's easy to include the following - Virgo, Leo, Coma Berenices, Canes Venatici, Ursa Major and Bootes. Just focusing on this area of sky one sometimes gets the sensation that just panning around will yield results.

First of all, it is important to develop and maintain dark adaptation. This is best achieved by throwing a dark towel over your head while at the eyepiece or wearing a large hoodie. The increased contrast, even with a bright sky background, will enable you to catch the fleeting glimmer of a galaxy.

Another tip is to use medium powers to darken the sky background and once again, increase contrast.

Keep in mind that those galaxies with higher surface brightness will be easier to see. For example, M81 and M82 in Ursa Major are easily visible even from backyard locations with even a small instrument, whereas a faint, larger object which may even have a higher magnitude can be difficult, such as M101 in Ursa Major which is large but faint.

Another point is targeting galaxy groups which will increase your odds of success, for example the Leo Triplet or galaxies in the Virgo Cluster. Having a good resource such as The Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas which has inset maps to help you star-hop to your desired targets also is helpful.

I have found that from home I was able to locate galactic objects down to about the 11th magnitude with my 10" reflector. For anything fainter, darker skies were required. Anyway, I hope this provides hope for urban and suburban stargazers who may be tipping their toes in the water with regard to the hunting of these faint denizens of the night.

Good luck with the search, and for more detailed information I will point to the article "Why Can't I See That Galaxy" by Alan (KT4HX) which covers this topic in more detail...

https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=3848
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Some Tips on Galaxy Observing from Light Polluted Locations

Post by Makuser »

Hi Michael. A very well written and informative guide for observing the "faint fuzzies" when one has to deal with light pollution. Thanks for posting this Michael and the link to Alan's thread is also most useful.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I have added this to our Beginner's Forum Must Reads! https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?p=7751#p7751
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

Thanks very much Michael. You have in inspired me. :sprefrac:
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

merci monsieur Michael .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very nice introductory guide Michael, and appreciate the link to my article as well. Galaxies are the most numerous type of DSO up there, and can be more challenging for those dealing with increased levels of light pollution. They range from bright and fairly easy to eye popping faintness. Their light must overcome the sky glow that most of us have to deal with on a regular basis. Plus intrusive ground lighting finding its way into our observing position that robs us of our precious dark adaption and contrast through the eyepiece. Using tricks such as stringing up a tarp to block lights, an eye patch over the observing eye when its away from the eyepiece, or using a dark cloth over the head when observing, can all help to boost our dark adaptation and regain some of the precious contrast needed while observing.

Galaxies are challenging and rewarding visually, but there is another aspect to their pursuit. That is the contemplation of the time and space that their feeble light has traversed to reach our eye in that given moment. What was it like on Earth at the time that light left its origin, and how much has changed here and in the universe over that course of time. Those are all part of galaxy observing with our mind's eye. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Limiting stray light coming in from odd angles has always helped me out a bit. I made a foam "light shield" for both my 16 and 10 inch dobs. It does seem to help
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL