need help finding "North".

Post topics on how to set up, EP selection, cold/wet weather outings, gear transportation, target selection etc.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

need help finding "North".

Post by messier 111 »

hi all ,

I am trying to find out how to put my cg-4 in the right position.
I use a compass on my cel to put my mount as close to the celestial north.
from where I am it is impossible to see polaris.

my question is the following ,
I know that the compass on my cell tells me magnetic north.
how many degrees should I move my mount to arrive as close as possible to the celestial north?
and I guess I should move it to the left of my current position?

I hope I am clear enough and that I have chosen the right place for this thread.
as always thank you for your help.
Jean Yves .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: need help .

Post by Bigzmey »

If this is for visual observing aiming at magnetic north is accurate enough.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:37 am If this is for visual observing aiming at magnetic north is accurate enough.
oopsss
yes for the visual only.
I completely forgot to mention it. :doh:
thx.

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Magnetic north will be close, but annoyingly far off, even for visual.

In Canada, true north varies from 20 degrees right to 20 degrees left of magnetic north, depending where you are. Google "magnetic variation" and the name of your town and you should find a reference for the number of degrees of difference. True north is left of magnetic north on the west coast, and right of magnetic north on the east coast. Around Winnipeg - Thunder Bay, the difference is close to zero.

Most phones should have a database built-in that will do the conversion for you. In fact double-check whether it is indeed showing magnetic north. It is more likely to show you its calculated version of true north.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

KathyNS wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:08 am Magnetic north will be close, but annoyingly far off, even for visual.

In Canada, true north varies from 20 degrees right to 20 degrees left of magnetic north, depending where you are. Google "magnetic variation" and the name of your town and you should find a reference for the number of degrees of difference. True north is left of magnetic north on the west coast, and right of magnetic north on the east coast. Around Winnipeg - Thunder Bay, the difference is close to zero.

Most phones should have a database built-in that will do the conversion for you. In fact double-check whether it is indeed showing magnetic north. It is more likely to show you its calculated version of true north.
thx , i will look in to it .

― Isaac Asimov

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: need help finding "North".

Post by Gordon »

I have taken the liberty to move this topic to a different forum, hoping it will help new members. In addition, I have added to the subject title to help the search engines find it if someone is searching for it.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Gordon wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:53 pm I have taken the liberty to move this topic to a different forum, hoping it will help new members. In addition, I have added to the subject title to help the search engines find it if someone is searching for it.
Thanks Gordon,
I didn't know where to really put the tread.

― Isaac Asimov

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Jean-Yves. I used this to mark celestial north for my location for my CG-4 mount. I went to this NOAA NCEI calculator web site:
https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/calcul ... alc.shtml?
Using my latitude and longitude data from my iPhone compass, I entered these into the web site calculator boxes and the results came back that I have to add 7 degrees and 7 minutes to the right of my compass reading of the magnetic north reading at my location. I drew a line with chalk on my drive way for magnetic north then added the 7 degrees and 7 minutes to the right to resolve the correct path from the same starting point for celestial north. I then drew a perpendicular line across the celestial north line and placed the two rear tripod mount legs on this line. Last, I drew a ring around each tripod leg on the driveway with a red magic marker. Now I can set up my scope very quickly and it is pretty close. I hope this helps Jean-Yves and the best of wishes on your alignment project.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

All the smart phones that I have owned and used over the last 10 years, they're default position is to show you the true direction. So if it's pointing North that's where it thinks true north is.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Thanks JT. I learned something new today. I just used my iPhone compass to get my location bearings and then used my hand compass outside to mark magnetic north and then make the change from the calculator web site to mark celestial north. I just compared my hand compass with my cell phone compass and I have to move the hand compass clockwise 7 degrees so they are parallel. You are correct JT and I never suspected this "auto" true north correction on my iPhone. Thanks, as this will save a lot of wasted time on future alignments.
Marshall
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Makuser wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:47 pm Thanks JT. I learned something new today. I just used my iPhone compass to get my location bearings and then used my hand compass outside to mark magnetic north and then make the change from the calculator web site to mark celestial north. I just compared my hand compass with my cell phone compass and I have to move the hand compass clockwise 7 degrees so they are parallel. You are correct JT and I never suspected this "auto" true north correction on my iPhone. Thanks, as this will save a lot of wasted time on future alignments.
plus one ,
I just saw that it works very well,
we're going to bed smarter tonight, thx.

― Isaac Asimov

In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Here is a photo of my hand compass and iPhone compass comparison. Wow, this was a surprise for me to learn that the iPhone automatically converts to true north.
Compass.JPG
Marshall
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I did not realize there could be that much deviation.

https://www.usgs.gov/educational-resour ... ue%20North.

But I am using phone app, not the old school compass, this explains it.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257