SynScan WiFi firmware Failed

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
modelsbynight Canada
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

SynScan WiFi firmware Failed

Post by modelsbynight »

Hi
OK so I started using my EQM-35 everything went ok.

I have already emailed SkyWatcher Support , but figured I'd ask here as well if anyone has had similar issue.

Decided to update the firmware on the WiFi Adapter and It fails

wifi update failed.png

Trying again fails

Now the WiFi adapter no longer works , My iPad still connects to it but The SynScan App (on iPad) no longer finds the WiFi Access point. (aka SynScan Wi-Fi Adapter)

Thank you
Photographer and Astrophile, Love the Ant on the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn and all time fav Andromeda
Telescope: N/A
Cameras: Nikon Z7ii 85mm f/1.8 ; DSS & Siril
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35 WiFi
Control: iPad via APPs
JSBach1801 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

Re: SynScan WiFi firmware Failed

Post by JSBach1801 »

One thing I have been disappointed in when it comes to the various pieces of astro-specific gear I have purchased is the rather poor documentation that comes along with everything. I have almost exclusively relied on forums and YouTube videos to understand how and why everything works.

I have the same mount as you. However, since I control it with an ASIAIR, I don't use the wifi dongle anymore, and I never did a firmware update while I was using it. So, I'm not of much help. I did find this document online. It makes mention on item 4 of a factory reset. However, it sort of reads like it is talking about a factory reset for the password, not the firmware. So, it may not be useful at all, but I thought I would at least share it on the off chance.

synscanwifi_102 (1).pdf
(219.94 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Lyle In Utah

Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar 73 III APO, ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: Sony a7IV Mirrorless, ZWO ASI120MM-MINI
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35i
Control: ASIAIR Plus
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Hi,

So the IPad sees the SynSCan hotspot but the SynScan App installed on the IPad does not? That's an odd one. What you just described is the equivalent of bricking a device. Whenever you update firmware on a device, you take the chance of turning it into a brick. If that happens, usually the only recourse is company tech support, if they can even help. I wish I could help but the only thing I can offer at this point is that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" I've learned that lesson a few times over the last forty some odd years of working with personal computers, Mac or PC, makes no difference and devices that have "updateable" firmware.

I "love" those docs. They tell you that you can reset the password after the hotspot has been up for an hour but it fails to tell you just how to do it. That is not a factory reload of firmware, but a factory reset to default settings, it might help if you can get to it and figure out how to do it. While I ride on Sky Watchers, I don't use WiFi to connect to my mounts, other reasons.

Good luck with Tech Support, I am curious to learn of your experience with them since both my mounts are Sky Watcher and the one time I asked a question, I never got a response from them.

Clear Skies,
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
modelsbynight Canada
Earth Ambassador

Post by modelsbynight »

chris_g wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:10 pm Hi,

So the IPad sees the SynSCan hotspot but the SynScan App installed on the IPad does not? That's an odd one. What you just described is the equivalent of bricking a device. Whenever you update firmware on a device, you take the chance of turning it into a brick. If that happens, usually the only recourse is company tech support, if they can even help. I wish I could help but the only thing I can offer at this point is that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it"
That's why I have not updated my Nikon camera to the latest firmware as it has nothing I need. I've done it a few times with Nikon.
Should have waited on the SynScan, as I was just able to start using it yesterday and then decided to update as the version was older and the update is needed for one of the apps. as per what I read.

I will for sure keep everyone updated. I did get the standard auto reply. Hopefully they reply soon.

Now I need to figure out how to control the mount , I need to try the PC control, but I only have one old XP 32bit netbook , and my New windows 11 Desktop .
I want to at least check that the Motor control box still works.
I don't want to buy a hand controller as that is why I bought the WiFi version (to save money) will see how that turns out.
I just got my 12volt Bluetti power unit last night. it works great EB 55 it even has a wireless charger for my old Phone Galaxy S7 , mind you it seems to cut off the charge before it gets full, not sure why but no big deal it has 5 USB connections, 4 AC and 3 DC 12V
Photographer and Astrophile, Love the Ant on the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn and all time fav Andromeda
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

chris_g wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:10 pm
I wish I could help but the only thing I can offer at this point is that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" I've learned that lesson a few times over the last forty some odd years.

Clear Skies,
Chris
Spot on Chris! Especially with firmware updates.

Software updates can be troublesome too, so I usually back them up before updating just in case. No so with firmware.

I used to hold back on software updates for the same reason, but I found that I was missing out on too much. Software can be backed up though.

Best of success MBN and please let us know how this goes.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

modelsbynight wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:06 pm I don't want to buy a hand controller as that is why I bought the WiFi version (to save money) will see how that turns out.
I run wired; I'm running power any way so why not an ethernet cable at the same time? it's more reliable than WiFi and that much faster. You're also not limited to 25 to 50 feet distance. And in my case, 20 feet max in the wintertime and then the RDP connections still likes to drop. And it won't cost you but an ethernet cable. You can get a cross over version of the cable if you want to connect two PC's directly together or get a cheap switch, almost all switches run on 12v now, so you can run it off your battery when you go remote. You'll have to be aware how to configure networking on your PCs.

Good luck with tech support.

Clear Skies,
Chris
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

From reading on a couple of other sites Skywatcher seems to be having issues with the latest update.
If you cannot get any help from tech support request a replacement module.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:21 pm Software updates can be troublesome too, so I usually back them up before updating just in case. No so with firmware.

I used to hold back on software updates for the same reason, but I found that I was missing out on too much. Software can be backed up though.
Software updates, depends on who's doing the updating. if it's Microsoft, I wait at least two years!
modelsbynight Canada
Earth Ambassador

Post by modelsbynight »

I tried to connect the control box from the RJ45 to my switch, it does make a connection. Guess that it is wired differently.
I do have a USB connector and trying to setup EQMOD however one of the steps is to connect to the EQM35 control box via WiFi to setup something before going to the final setup.

Code: Select all

How to setup connection to mount
Step 1. Connect SynScan App to mount

Open the SynScan app on your smartphone.
    Use SynScan app to connect to the mount. See SynScan App's help for more details.
    You need to perform telesope alignment with the SynScan App before the mount can perform accurate go-to.
    If SynScan App is running on iOS, you should make sure the app is running in the foreground with the screen unlocked.

Step 2. Connect ASCOM driver to SynScan App.

Run program that uses ASCOM (such as Cartes du Ciel or TheSky) on the PC. The PC should be in the same network as the device running SynScan App. For example, if the phone running SynScan App has joined a SynScan Wi-Fi adapter's network, then the PC should also join that network.
    If there is problem with searching device, you can specify the IP of the device running SynScan App.
avdhoeven Netherlands
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by avdhoeven »

Did you succeed in getting it working again? I seem to have the same problem here now :(
modelsbynight Canada
Earth Ambassador

Post by modelsbynight »

avdhoeven wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:55 pm Did you succeed in getting it working again? I seem to have the same problem here now :(
No I have not mind you I took a break from working on it. mainly due to weather and also took a 10 day cottage break.
But will start figuring it out again.

HAVE YOU figured it out already.

I also bought a really cheap Celestron telescope with the worlds cheapest mount. Did manage to see the Moon last night with it. I will need to do lot of upgrades to it
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Here's a thread claiming that updates to the motor controller can be done directly over USB (via a serial USB-to-ethernet adapter to the RJ-45 port I presume). Have you tried updating the firmware over USB? There is some more information on that thread that could be useful.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
avdhoeven Netherlands
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by avdhoeven »

I let it powered on for 24h without connecting and tried again and it worked again. So maybe that could work.
Jonathancilia Malta
Earth Ambassador

Post by Jonathancilia »

My mount is dead aswell after a failed update, wifi shows "synscan" only but the app wont conect to the mount.. i left the mount on with nothing connected for about 1hr 30 mins, manual said 1hr to reset and still doesnt work. My mount is a skywatcher 150 heritate virtuoso gti
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Have you contacted Skywatcher tech support to see if they can suggest anything?
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Jonathancilia Malta
Earth Ambassador

Post by Jonathancilia »

Yes but no reply, i just wanted to see if anyone has ever got the update working through the synscan usb adapter first because ive read alot of posts that mentioned it
Last edited by Jonathancilia on Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Just a thought, did your USB adapter come with its own drivers?
Sometimes letting the computer pick does not load certain necessities.

I have had to delete adapters and make sure the computer loads the factory drivers before they would work properly.
Gabrielle
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

theres been plenty of time where i've taken chips out and just flash them the old away xd , drivers are such a pain, here's an idea, try flashing in a virtual os

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11292883655 ... 52VT8TKC2N
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Jonathancilia Malta
Earth Ambassador

Post by Jonathancilia »

I dont have the adapter yet, update failed when trying to update through the mount wifi, now i ordered the synscan usb adapter to connect the mount directly, hopefully this will work out because at the moment the mount is totally useless
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hopefully this will help.
I know the older Celestron Nexstar and Nexstar+ could be very touchy on what adapters and drivers were used, including if your anti virus would let the program through.
Gabrielle