New Image: Moon (m)

Post your Lunar images here.
ram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

New Image: Moon (m)

Post by ram »

Total integration: 2-6 seconds (500-1500 x 4 milliseconds).

Cameras: QHY294M (11mp mono) CMOS cooled to -15 degrees C.
Telescope: Takahashi FC100DF Steinheil fluorite doublet apochromat refractor @ f/7.4.
Reducer: None.
Mount: Paramount MyT.
Filters: Orion SkyGlow Broadband L filter.
Software: TheSkyX Pro, SharpCap, PixInsight, Topaz Studio 2.
moon_v1-studio.jpg
Full resolution images of the entire series are available at https://www.astrobin.com/84ehrx/ and of the main image at http://ram.org/images/space/scope/1.7.4.7/moon.jpg

What can I say about our Moon that hasn't already been said in countless poems, songs, stories, movies? It is the only natural satellite of our planet, with a diametre about one quarter that of Earth and possessing one sixth of its surface gravity. It is the fifth largest satelite in our solar system and does not have any conditions suitable for life. The Moon orbits Earth at an average distance of 384,400 kilometres and is illuminated by our sun.

I normally stick to deep sky objects but during the last total lunar eclipse on November 11, 2022, I managed to capture 1500 exposures of the moon prior to the eclipse (in three batches of 500). Unfortunately it got cloudy so I couldn't image the eclipse itself. I registered and stacked the images using PixInsight and FFT registration and then processed it using Topaz Studio 2. Each of the 1500 frames was 4ms, with a gain of 0 on the QHY294M with the Takahashi FC100DF at F/7.4 (no reducer).

The first image on AstroBin is the processed version of the stacked 1500 exposures from all three sets (shown below); the second is the processed version of the stacked 500 exposures from the first set (showcased above); and the third is the processed version of the very first frame only; and the final image is the unprocessed version of the stacked 1500 exposures.

As always, thanks for looking!

--Ram

moon_v0-studio.jpg
moon_v4_00001-studio.crop.jpg
Tubes: Celestron 9.25" 235mm f/10 XLT EdgeHD SCT; Meade ETX 80mm f/5 achromat; Coronado SolarMax II 60mm f/6.6 Hα <0.7Å BF10 solar; Stellarvue 70mm f/6 triplet apochromat; Obsession UC18 457mm f/4.2 with Argo Navis & ServoCAT; Takahashi FS128 5" f/8.1 and FC100DF 4" f/7.4 fluorite doublet apochromats. Mounts: AVX; LXD75; Paramount MyT. Eyepieces: 2" Tele Vue Ethos 4.7/13/21mm, Paracorr, 2,4x Powermate; Stellarvue 0.8x, Takahashi 0.7x, 0.66x reducer/corrector. Cameras: ZWO ASI120MC-S; Lodestar X2c; X2m; Canon T7i; QHY163M; QHY247C; QHY294M-Pro. Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3 and S2; Chroma LRGB.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: New Image: Moon (m)

Post by Unitron48 »

Very well done! Amazing contrast and detail!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very very nice, beautiful images Ram!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ