Well, I tried...

Discuss solar related topics.
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Well, I tried...

Post by Razz »

I woke up about 2:30 this afternoon and looked outside. The Sun was shining, the sky was blue and there were very few tiny clouds and it's about 70F. So, I planned on grabbing something to eat and then head out for some solar viewing for the first time since early February. I got my 80mm SvBony set up on the Az/GTe. Got it tracking the Sun at about 3:40. I was only going for visual as there was a slight breeze and the Sun was just at the top of the trees and a few branches were just in front of the lower part of it. I did see AR3270 but not AR3266 or AR3264. Anyway, after about 10 minutes I decided to bring out my solar scope. I was inside less than 3 minutes, came out and the sky was covered by rain clouds! I looked at my watch to make sure I didn't fall asleep! Then I remembered that Saturday I had received 2 astrophotography books... :doh: ...Now, I forget how loud I talk and I'm louder when I'm less than happy. I also forgot about the guys working on the house across the street. They got quite the show as I'm swearing up a storm and flipping off the clouds as I'm breaking everything down... :o ...I'm planning on imaging next year's solar eclipse so if anyone knows of anything special that I'll need, tell me now and I'll get it right away. Hopefully the cloud curse will lift by next year... :lol:
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Well, I tried...

Post by SkyHiker »

Recently our club sent out an offer by Ocular Industries that will solve your cloud problem:

BEAT THE CLOUDS!
Roaring back in the astronomy business after the
pandemic, Ocular Industries of Noleta is proud to
announce our new Tethered Optical Aerostat
System for Telescopes (TOAST). This balloon
system with an optical-grade upper window, buoyed
by optical-grade hydrogen, will lift any telescope
weighing less than 67 kilograms to a height of
60,000 feet, enough to get you above any pesky
clouds. Available starting April 1. Not suitable for
tripods with pointy feet. Ocular Industries is not
liable for any damage to your scope from
Sidewinder missiles.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:50 pm Recently our club sent out an offer by Ocular Industries that will solve your cloud problem:

BEAT THE CLOUDS!
Roaring back in the astronomy business after the
pandemic, Ocular Industries of Noleta is proud to
announce our new Tethered Optical Aerostat
System for Telescopes (TOAST). This balloon
system with an optical-grade upper window, buoyed
by optical-grade hydrogen, will lift any telescope
weighing less than 67 kilograms to a height of
60,000 feet, enough to get you above any pesky
clouds. Available starting April 1. Not suitable for
tripods with pointy feet. Ocular Industries is not
liable for any damage to your scope from
Sidewinder missiles.
Sounds perfect! Of course, with my luck it will get caught up in some bizarre jet stream and end up over Fort Drum and get shot down like a Chinese spy balloon. And the best part? I'll get the bill for it! :shock:
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Razz wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:56 pm I woke up about 2:30 this afternoon and looked outside. The Sun was shining, the sky was blue and there were very few tiny clouds and it's about 70F. So, I planned on grabbing something to eat and then head out for some solar viewing for the first time since early February. I got my 80mm SvBony set up on the Az/GTe. Got it tracking the Sun at about 3:40. I was only going for visual as there was a slight breeze and the Sun was just at the top of the trees and a few branches were just in front of the lower part of it. I did see AR3270 but not AR3266 or AR3264. Anyway, after about 10 minutes I decided to bring out my solar scope. I was inside less than 3 minutes, came out and the sky was covered by rain clouds! I looked at my watch to make sure I didn't fall asleep! Then I remembered that Saturday I had received 2 astrophotography books... :doh: ...Now, I forget how loud I talk and I'm louder when I'm less than happy. I also forgot about the guys working on the house across the street. They got quite the show as I'm swearing up a storm and flipping off the clouds as I'm breaking everything down... :o ...I'm planning on imaging next year's solar eclipse so if anyone knows of anything special that I'll need, tell me now and I'll get it right away. Hopefully the cloud curse will lift by next year... :lol:

Hi Bill,
I’ve had a few conversations just like that with the clouds.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/