The dark energy conundrum

Discuss Astrophysics.
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

The dark energy conundrum

Post by Gmetric »

Why is the calculated value of dark energy 120 orders of magnitude different from what we observe? Ethan speculates on why.

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang ... rk-energy/
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The dark energy conundrum

Post by SkyHiker »

I wonder if dark energy isn't simply a randomly generated fluctuation in spacetime curvature in the infinitesimally small fraction of the universe that is visible to us. The big bang as we theorize it may just be a lot bigger than we think it is, or maybe ECSK gravity is real and there are all kind of wormholes outside the event horizon that create who knows what kind of curvature that we experience a part of. If the universe is roughly homogeneous and isotropic, I don't think we can tell anything about its size based on the observable part of it.

I don't know much about the Lambda-CDM model but the Wikipedia page on the Lambda-CDM model says that some cosmologists are ready to toss it based on incompatibilities with observed data. It also says that the model was constructed in an unfalsifiable manner (based on what people think, not on external reality), which is a philosophical problem. I have trouble buying into a model that relies for 95% on stuff that has not been proven to exist.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
ThinkerX United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Re: The dark energy conundrum

Post by ThinkerX »

Perhaps the Great Old Ones are rolling weirdly shaped dice.

Or, because I'm that dense, maybe we are looking at...lessee...what was that called...hmm...yeah...'the strong attractive force' gone haywire at the subatomic level in places where particles are scarce. (feel free to laugh yourselves silly at that one.)