Using a DSLR instead of telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Using a DSLR instead of telescope

Post by Bearcatrp »

Considering selling my equipment and going the DSLR route. The DSLR can be dual purposes vs a telescope. Don’t use my telescope much this past year. Been looking on the forum at folks with a DSLR posting to get a feel for it. Am still a newbie at this which is why I posted here. For those using a DSLR, what is the furthest planet you have been able to capture besides the moon. Thanks.
Meade StarNavigator NG 125mm Maksutov Telescope
QHY QHY5III462
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Using a DSLR instead of telescope

Post by DEnc »

Not quite what you're asking, but it's possible to detect exoplanet transits with just a DSLR, no telescope! As well as capturing images with the DSLR, you can collect data of surprisingly good quality.
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Folks that are using a DSLR to capture planets are using the DSLR attached to a telescope.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

The furthest planet with a DSLR that doesn't look like dots is Earth.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

What lens will/are you using?
Essentially, you will need a BIG lens attached to a dslr to image a planet (and see something besides a dot).
Actually, you need a rather large telescope to do planets justice.
With big scopes/lenses, you’ll need a capable mount to handle the weight.
I would love to image planets, but it’s way too much for my pocket book.
Good luck!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

While the answers above are correct, one thing you might want to consider if you want to capture the night skies is to try "Nightscape" photography.

You can find examples here: viewforum.php?f=68
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Bearcatrp
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bearcatrp »

Thanks for the replies. No camera yet, just considering this option. Wanted to get opinions from you pro’s before charging ahead. This was my 1st stop before going forward on more research on cameras and those large lenses. I know a few photographers I could talk to to get more insight on cameras. Been awhile since owning a DSLR so am sure things have changed in the last 20 years. Thanks again folks.
Meade StarNavigator NG 125mm Maksutov Telescope
QHY QHY5III462
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Bearcatrp wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:13 am Thanks for the replies. No camera yet, just considering this option. Wanted to get opinions from you pro’s before charging ahead. This was my 1st stop before going forward on more research on cameras and those large lenses. I know a few photographers I could talk to to get more insight on cameras. Been awhile since owning a DSLR so am sure things have changed in the last 20 years. Thanks again folks.
If you are thinking about large lenses with long focal length you will still need an accurate tracking mount. General purpose large lenses will not perform as well for AP as telescopes that are dedicated to that single purpose, and they can easily be more expensive too. For anything above 400 mm focal length tracking is the number 1 issue, optics and camera are secondary. If the goal is AP I don't think you gain anything by going large lens DSLR.

Also, you were talking about planetary AP. To do that right you need much longer focal length than what a large DSLR lens can offer - 2000 mm plus if possible, and wide aperture to get high resolution. Anything less than that will be underwhelming; for those 2 planets that most people focus on you might as well get it right or otherwise skip it. The Mak that you have would probably be decent; for high resolution you need 12" aperture if possible. Of course, it will all work only those one or two nights when everything comes together just right. Technically it's a different beast, you use high frequency lucky imaging not long exposures like wide field AP.

If you want to do large lens DSLR AP it will probably be about wide field DSOs, and for that I think a 70 mm triplet or quadruplet is best on an intermediate tracking mount. A DSLR would work fine with that, and it will get you a large sensor. An ASI1600 or ASI2600 would be nicer but DSLR bodies can be had for a low price. Keep in mind that for large sensor you need a flat field so either a quad or a triplet with field flattener.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Hope you have not been swayed by those on the web who recommend the Nikon P1000 for all things astro, as that stuff is all bunk. Real excellent planetary astrophotography is done by only a handful of dedicated amateurs in the world, most here can name them. Scopes used are 12 inch and up 14-16 is preferable and focal lengths of 4000mm minimum.

In addition to all the mount requirements, years of practice, software and a very favorable location with smooth air is needed. Ready to move to the seaside in the Philippines?

I have the scope and the cameras, but am no good at planetary imaging, mostly lack of talent.
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I like my DSLR for nightscapes, star trails, time exposures, etc. With my 400 mm lens I can get a feel for the phase of Venus and identify Jupiter's moons. I can get some detail in lunar pictures on the scale of a full moon (not tight shots). That is about all. Those nightscapes, etc. are among my favorite type of photography. I am happy with them.

HOWEVER, SkyHiker's post is correct. To get anything more requires a tracking mount. My 400 mm lens is almost on the edge of being a small telescope, and it is severely limited. For planetary work it is just enough to want more, but not quite enough to satisfy. For planetary work I think I would soon get bored and either give up or start buying my telescope equipment again.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Those who follow my blog will know that I've spent a lot of time experimenting with a DSLR at focal lengths from 18mm to 300mm.

In order of frequency and ease of use, I have done the following without using a telescope:

Lunar detail at full disc

Sunspots

Phases of Venus

Jupiter's Moons

Titan

Phases of Mercury

Cloud belts of Jupiter (just 2 main ones)

Saturn's Rings

Albedo features on Mars

The last 5 are far from everyday occurrences and I have far more failed attempts than successful ones. The key is focus and it is very hard with a DSLR and autofocus just doesn't work on my camera.

I have had better results attaching my DSLR to my 127mm Maksutov. Webcam/electronic eyepiece imagers give better results on planets and lunar and solar close-ups but are much more difficult to use.

I don't have a big budget but here is what I do:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
modelsbynight Canada
Earth Ambassador

Post by modelsbynight »

Bearcatrp wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:18 am Considering selling my equipment and going the DSLR route. The DSLR can be dual purposes vs a telescope. Don’t use my telescope much this past year. Been looking on the forum at folks with a DSLR posting to get a feel for it. Am still a newbie at this which is why I posted here. For those using a DSLR, what is the furthest planet you have been able to capture besides the moon. Thanks.
I would keep the telescope, depending on the mount that could also be very useful for Astro Photography

I had a 4.5" Reflector Newtonian , and prior to that a 3" Mirror. I did not use them much and got rid of them. I now kinda wish I had kept the 4.5"
Now I am getting back into more series Astronomy again. so got a new Mount EQM35 and plan to use it with my Nikon Mirrorless and 85mm f/1.8 lens to start with. I also have an older 55-200 lens that might work as well with this new mount. Last Year I took some stationary tripod images of Orion Nebula as it is my favourite for the start of winter season. I managed to get a little bit of color. Due to Large city I don't get clear dark night skies like I did with the 4.5". I would need to travel 200km or more to find dark skies LOL PS My plan is to find dark skies to improve my photos. Possible future plan 127 Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope
Photographer and Astrophile, Love the Ant on the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn and all time fav Andromeda
Telescope: N/A
Cameras: Nikon Z7ii 85mm f/1.8 ; DSS & Siril
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35 WiFi
Control: iPad via APPs
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

For visual a Maksutov is a great choice, views can be equivalent of a apochromatic refractor.
The only drawback is the Maksutov design has the smallest TFOV of any telescope design.
A f/7 or faster refractor will give good results or a Schmidt Cassagrien using a f/6.3 reducer can collect more light.

Personal choice of course, we all do things our own way. :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Many of the larger DSOs, like the Hyades are better suited to DSLRs and a focal length in the 50-100mm range. I find there's loads I can photograph without going down the driven mount route.

I am getting a new "electronic eyepiece" which will hopefully get some decent lunar and solar close-ups.
AstroRover United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by AstroRover »

In case it helps you with your DSLR setup, here's mine:
7f4f3a9b-e98c-4cc6-80e5-3a943730c31d.jpg

I haven't captured any planets with it. I'm mainly focusing on much larger targets.

Here are some of my photos: https://unsplash.com/@astrorover
Last edited by AstroRover on Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.