Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

New Image: Markarian's Chain and M88

Post by Juno16 »

From Wikipedia:

Markarian's Chain is a stretch of galaxies that forms part of the Virgo Cluster. When viewed from Earth, the galaxies lie along a smoothly curved line. Charles Messier first discovered two of the galaxies, M84 and M86, in 1781. The other galaxies seen in the chain were discovered by William Herschel and are now known primarily by their catalog numbers in John Louis Emil Dreyer's New General Catalogue, published in 1888. It was ultimately named after the Soviet astrophysicist, Benjamin Markarian, who discovered their common motion in the early 1960s. Member galaxies include M84 (NGC 4374), M86 (NGC 4406), NGC 4477, NGC 4473, NGC 4461, NGC 4458, NGC 4438 and NGC 4435. It is located at RA 12h 27m and Dec +13° 10′.

The bright members of the chain are visible through small telescopes. Larger telescopes can be used to view the fainter galaxies. Near the center there appear the pair of interacting galaxies NGC 4438 and NGC 4435, about 50 million light-years away, known to some as Markarian's Eyes.

At least seven galaxies in the chain appear to move coherently, although others appear to be superposed by chance. Six of the points on the chain can be marked by galaxies. The other two points are pairs of galaxies.

I am so glad that I got the opportunity to image this galaxy chain!!!

Not only to get the chance for some clear skies (5th and 6th clear nights so far this year), but to capture this beautiful sight that has eluded me for the past few years.

I last time that I imaged the “Chain” back in 2019. Just 2 years into the hobby and using a modified Nikon D5300, I just didn’t have enough experience to process the data where it looked presentable.

Two years ago, I attempted this target with my current equipment. Unfortunately, the Chain rises just over a bright led streetlight in my front yard. The house blocks direct light, but the glow extending into the sky above the light was so bad that I couldn’t guide!
Guiding was so bad, I aborted the project. Guiding anywhere else in the sky was fine, so I knew it was that light glow causing the problem.

This week, I tried again. Seeing was really bad along with high thin clouds, so guiding was not good, but I went for it. The target goes into the trees just after the meridian, so I needed more time.
I got that opportunity two night later. Still poor seeing and this time low thin clouds this time, but it worked well enough.

Sharpstar 61 EDPHII (w 0.8FR/FF) at 275mm
ASI 533 MC-P at -10C
Skywatcher HEQ5 (rowan mod)
IDAS LPS D-1 light pollution filter
375 lights at 90 seconds (9:22:30)

I must also say that my inspiration for imaging the Chain was from a visit to the Griffith Observatory several years ago. When I walked downstairs, I was blown away by the wall 20’ x 152’ image of Virgo galaxies on the wall! Beautiful!

I am sure that I will work on the data more. Processing went so quickly, that I feel guilty not spending more time! Very light noise reduction was used. Only mild saturation bumps both to the galaxies and stars.

Thanks for looking!

Jim

Last edited by Juno16 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: New Image: Markarian's Chain and M88

Post by Makuser »

Hi Jim. Wow, this is an amazing image of the Markarian's Chain using your Sharpstar 61 EDPH II telescope, especially on the astrobin site. You have excellent contrast, a superb wide field, and I have never seen so many Messier, NGC, and IC objects in a capture like this before. Thanks for sharing this work and informative text with us on here Jim and you did really great job with this one.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Makuser wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:32 pm Hi Jim. Wow, this is an amazing image of the Markarian's Chain using your Sharpstar 61 EDPH II telescope, especially on the astrobin site. You have excellent contrast, a superb wide field, and I have never seen so many Messier, NGC, and IC objects in a capture like this before. Thanks for sharing this work and informative text with us on here Jim and you did really great job with this one.

Thank you Marshall fir your very kind comments!
Yes, there certainly is a lot going on in this field!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very well done, you can be proud. it's your turn to put it on a wall.
thx.
apod for me .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very very nice Jim!!!!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

messier 111 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:03 pm very well done, you can be proud. it's your turn to put it on a wall.
thx.
apod for me .

Thank you very much for your really nice comments Jean-Yves!

Ylem wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:19 am Very very nice Jim!!!!

I really appreciate it Jeff!
Jim

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Very nice framing, Jim, and great detail in all those little fuzzies. The 9+ hours of integration time really shines up the image!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful image! Very well done, Jim!!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Benjamin Australia
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Benjamin »

Lovely image. Really enjoyed seeing it in detail on Astrobin and would have no idea that conditions were not favourible for this. NGC4438 is particularly cool to see :-)
Scopes:Skywatcher f5 12" Dob, f4 8” Quattro, Esprit 100
Mounts:Skywatcher EQ6-R (EQMod)
Cameras:ZWO ASI2600MM-Pro, Astronomik 2” filters
Apps:PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Eyepieces:Explore Scientific, Pentax XW, TeleVue Panoptic, Delos, Ethos
bernhardhubl Austria
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bernhardhubl »

Hello Jim,

Beauiful image of Markarians Chain!
Excellent work

best,
Bernhard
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:19 am Very nice framing, Jim, and great detail in all those little fuzzies. The 9+ hours of integration time really shines up the image!

Bob

Thanks Bob!
It sure does! A quick stack of the first night (4.5 hours) wasn’t much to look at. I surely needed the second night.
I appreciate your comment on the framing as I was really happy how that turned out.
Yeah, I counted over 50 fuzziin the field, loaded!

MariusD69 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:53 am Wonderful image! Very well done, Jim!!

Thank you much Marius!

Benjamin wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:38 am Lovely image. Really enjoyed seeing it in detail on Astrobin and would have no idea that conditions were not favourible for this. NGC4438 is particularly cool to see :-)

The conditions were not what I was hoping for!
I’ve been imaging broadband with the uv/ir cut filter, but with the conditions, I decided to go with the IDAS LPS D-1 to help with the lp. It did help.
Yes, those beautiful “Eyes”. Hopefully, I can get more time on them next year!

Thank you for your very nice comments Benjamin!

bernhardhubl wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:58 am Hello Jim,

Beauiful image of Markarians Chain!
Excellent work

best,
Bernhard

Thank you for your nice comments Bernhard!
Much appreciated!
Jim

ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

That’s a wall hanger for sure Jim! Beautiful detail with nice tight round stars. I love the wide field of your 61EDPH, well done my friend!
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP
Observatory: Exploradome with Nexdome rotator
https://www.astrobin.com/users/ic_1101/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

ic_1101 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:35 pm That’s a wall hanger for sure Jim! Beautiful detail with nice tight round stars. I love the wide field of your 61EDPH, well done my friend!

Hi Alex!
I really like my Sharpstar. Not really a galaxy instrument (except of course in this manner), but it is a joy to use and great on nebulae.
Thank you my friend for your really nice words!
Last edited by Juno16 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thats a super image Jim. Nicely framed and great processing.

The little Sharpstars are amazing really.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Jockinireland wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:27 pm Thats a super image Jim. Nicely framed and great processing.

The little Sharpstars are amazing really.

Hi David and thank you!
I love my Sharpstar 61!!!
It has really helped me capture some images that I am very pleased with.
I upgraded my desktop computers GPU and this is the first image I’ve processed with it. A Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti that is very mild compared to modern gaming GPU’s, but it really blows through the XTerminator processes.
SXT went from over 4 minutes to 15 seconds!
Jim

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Jim, that is absolutely stunning! Such a wide field with so many objects! For poor seeing, you got some great details on all that; even zoomed in it's all still sharp.

Well done and thanks for the share; methinks you deserve an APOD for that! :D

All the best buddy,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Amazing work Jim, count the Galaxy time... So much detail first class image. The Sharpstar is earning its living on this one.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:32 am Jim, that is absolutely stunning! Such a wide field with so many objects! For poor seeing, you got some great details on all that; even zoomed in it's all still sharp.

Well done and thanks for the share; methinks you deserve an APOD for that! :D

All the best buddy,

Hey my old buddy! I can say that because I'm older!

I have wanted to image this field for awhile now. I got a couple of iffy nights last week and was fortunate enough to catch a decent image.
I was happily surprised at the results considering the lp, guiding and thin clouds.
I usually wait for predictively nice nights. Now, I just might start taking more chances!

Been busy with my 20 month old grandson, home projects, and Jack had knee surgery on the 1st so that has definitely kept me busy!

Thank you for your very nice comments my buddy. They are very much appreciated!

Greenman wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:16 am Amazing work Jim, count the Galaxy time... So much detail first class image. The Sharpstar is earning its living on this one.

The Sharpstar is a very enjoyable scope to use and has done me well! The 533 is a really nice camera.

Even with the less than ideal conditions, the data was really clean. Super easy processing almost makes me feel guilty for not spending more time on it!

Thanks for your nice words my friend!

Take care and I hope that you can get out soon.
Jim

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

Makuser wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:32 pm Hi Jim. Wow, this is an amazing image of the Markarian's Chain using your Sharpstar 61 EDPH II telescope, especially on the astrobin site. You have excellent contrast, a superb wide field, and I have never seen so many Messier, NGC, and IC objects in a capture like this before. Thanks for sharing this work and informative text with us on here Jim and you did really great job with this one.
He he, Mak gives the best comments. +1 from me on this. A beauty, Jim.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Jim on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

https://theskysearchers.com/app.php/art ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.